Curran Street Wreck

same as 3rd party car insurance,pays for damage to other vehicle/property only or fire and theft

The boat is sitting on the 3rd party's beach causing damage. So I would have thought the insurance company would pay to have it removed.. I always thought that was a part of 3rd party cover i.e the boat sinks in the channel or goes ashore.

I am wrong obviously. Luckily I have full insurance: so hopefully if that happens they will fulfil that part of the contract.

The boat is sitting on the 3rd party's beach causing damage. So I would have thought the insurance company would pay to have it removed.. I always thought that was a part of 3rd party cover i.e the boat sinks in the channel or goes ashore.

I am wrong obviously. Luckily I have full insurance: so hopefully if that happens they will fulfil that part of the contract.

Very surprised the council/harbour master has not stepped in and said remove or we will remove and bill you?can only guess its doing no environmental damage just a eyesore for local residents?

Very surprised the council/harbour master has not stepped in and said remove or we will remove and bill you?can only guess its doing no environmental damage just a eyesore for local residents?

They did step in, have said, and will remove. They gave him a very reasonable period of two weeks to get his house in order.

• Upvote 1

I would have have thought that marine 3rd party insurance would cover wreck removal.  The HM costs to remove it are a legitimate cost against the owner, so I would expect the third party cover should stump up to cover that.

I agree with all comments above. I am just repeating what the guy has said. I find it concerning if this is the case and certainly wondering how that could be possible.

It's all a bit late now, but it's a pity the Hull was not given a temp patch to enable the Boat to be dragged off at a High tide, when ever one high enough is back in cycle. A bit of work on the Mechanicals and a lot could probably have been saved. But if water is flowing in and out of the Boat twice a day, it will be getting pretty messy inside by now.

Can be surprisingly easy to get rid of ferro boats, I was involved in removing a couple some years ago for a previous Harbourmaster, we tied them to a barge and got them as high as possible on the ramp at Okahu Bay then removed any usable fittings and with a very small bobcat tapping the hull and loading a tip truck reduced to stuff sweepable with the yard brooms within 15 minutes -- nothing to see. 

A bit sad that somebodies 70's dreams should end up like that - but that is the market.

Also the one that hit Tapeka point on its way to join the cruising rally a year or two back dissolved fairly quickly. Luckily I believe other cruisers helped the couple remove a fair bit of their personal gear. 

Can be surprisingly easy to get rid of ferro boats,

It's not the breaking up of them that is the issue. It's what do you do with the mess. It costs a lot of money to dump now. It would be OK if you can find someone wanting Hardfill, but that is getting difficult too. It costs (or will soon) us $110/tonne to dump here in Blenheim. So if the Boat is 20tonne, ouch.

Not really a fan of his description saying it's worth $60k when fixed, when his attempts to sell it for that much before it became a wreck prove it wasn't. He obviously knows it wasn't worth $60k, because he reduced the price at least a couple of times, and it still didn't sell. Just seems somewhat dishonest. He's basically asking for someone to help him out by buying it, but lying to them in the process, or at least, misleading them by $30k~

• Upvote 1

Hey Wheels there is a floating footpath next to me at GH, so I asked him about insurance, says he only has 3rd party but that was easy to get.

12mths ago I wanted 3rd party for my old grp boat and no one would do it! I had to take out full cover or nothing.. Weird.

Not really a fan of his description saying it's worth $60k when fixed, when his attempts to sell it for that much before it became a wreck prove it wasn't. He obviously knows it wasn't worth $60k, because he reduced the price at least a couple of times, and it still didn't sell. Just seems somewhat dishonest. He's basically asking for someone to help him out by buying it, but lying to them in the process, or at least, misleading them by $30k~

Of course it's worth $60K. Probably more. That fact that someone has not bough it for that yet, does not mean it is not worth that. For instance, Your Home might be worth say $500K. You list it. It does not sell in the first hr. Does that mean it is not still worth $500K?? What if it does not sell in the first Day, or Week? So at the moment with Housing being "hot property", it is likely to sell for that. But till it does, do you say it is not worth the asking amount??

Same with a Boat. A Boat is worth what someone will pay, yes....but summed with time for that someone to come along and the time in which current owner needs to sell. There are many Boats that have been on the market for years that are just in need of the right person. Lets face it, $60K for a vessel that size is cheap. A Family would have a lot of summers of fun out there.

My Boat is worth to me what I paid for it.

Thanks BP. I didn't know third party was OK for a Marina. Going to look into that.