Looking for experienced skipper for voyage from Picton to Auckland

I've recently bought a Alan Wright Nova 28ft yacht.

It is in Waikawa near Picton and I'm looking for an experienced skipper and possibly one more crew member to help me sail it up to Auckland.

I've done quite a bit of sailing myself, but I'm not confident enough to make the tricky journey up to Auckland.

Also looking for some advice when would be the best time to sail her up (ideally before Christmas) and the best route to take.

Any tips much appreciated.

A little bit about the yacht;

Built in 76 the previous owner cruised and raced Arcturus II since 1982.  She has an excellent racing record, has full head room in the saloon and is strongly built and rigged for Wellington/Cook Strait conditions. Her hull is constructed of double diagonal kauri planking glassed over, she has a fin keel and cutter/sloop rigging with a very full sail wardrobe. The 21 HP Kubota 3 cylinder diesel with Nanni marine conversion has been professionally serviced and is in excellent condition.

She sleeps six in 2 single berths and one double, has a separate head, two compasses, two anchors with chain, a depth sounder, chart plotter, 4 person life raft and inflatable dingy.

Cutter/sloop rig

Excellent sea boat – many Cook Strait crossings.  

Good race record and comfortable cruising.

New Main (unused) and genoa

Working jib

Spinnaker with launching sleeve

21 HP Kubota 3 cylinder diesel with Nanni marine conversion

Spacious layout – 5/6 berths

Anchors,chain and warps

Life raft in soft cover

consider via the west coast , 24+- hrs to New  Plymouth and then another 48 +- to North Cape , after that plenty  of places to stop along the North  East Coast.I have done the trip from Welly to Akl and it took 2 weeks after getting hammered off Wairarapa and having to stop for repairs in Napier. Have left NP solo in a strong SE and rounded Reinga 48 hrs later, both trips in around October, November. Between now and Xmas there can be a lot of strong NW , but 3 days of S or SE could get you to the top, or light winds and motor or motorsail for 3 days . 7 days of reasonable weather should get you there if you don,t stop a lot.Start looking at metvuw and windyty , and get the boat ready for basically an ocean passage. Probably less chance of getting in trouble if you stay well clear of the coast, and just get there in one hit.

As above, it's 400nm to the top so 3 days at an average of 5.6kts

Then take 3 days to come down the other side, it about 250nm across the top and down into AKL

Look for anything from the south but light to mod SW is going to be what you'll probably end up going on.

Aim for the Maui platforms and if alls well just keep going but if you have issues then NPs your only real option

Boat will do it easily enough just pick your crew well

What has been said is good. Timing is the other thing. You are approaching the spring equinox, which is often the windiest time of year. In a bad year, it will be windy in the lower north island often until Christmas. The best time of year is Jan/Feb. how about a holiday in the sounds or Tasman bay after Christmas, then a delivery?

Don't take the NZ coast lightly. IMO it's harder than a trip from Auckland to the islands.