Deliberately ploughing through dolphins - Army Bay

Totally different situation to the guy that swam with the Orca. And these people have obviously got a drone filming themselves, so it is no accident of simply not seeing the Pod till the last moment. It is deliberate motoring at speed into the Pod.

The drone footage is from someone unconnected with the boats, flying the drone from the shore.

Unless the video is slow-mo, the term "speeding" is a bit rich. I haven't got out my ruler to judge it off boat lengths, but they aren't fully planing, and they may not even be doing more than the 10knot limit.

One point, the drone has a viewing advantage in that its camera looks down through the water. We see, from its perspective, a very different view. How much can the skippers of the boats see? Not defending anyone, but rather judge not lest you find yourselves in this situation.

Stop bring in common sense Doc.

I did notice in the footage the Dolphins were very aware if the boats and got out of their way long before they were even close. The way the pod continued on it's way would suggest it wasn't too stressed or concerned.

Not that plowing into any animal is OK.......  unless it's MP's in which case it should be encouraged.

Plenty of other animals I could add to that list KM. Rapists, Kiddy fiddlers, murderers, hard drug dealers etc...

There should be options of punishment that offenders can choose over prison.

If this guy that ploughed through the dolphins was caught, he should have the option of having someone run him down in a speed boat. That's fair.

Rapist should have the option of being castrated.

This rugby guy spar with Joseph Parker.

Kev, I think if you re-read my post you will see I didn't say he hadn't seen them, Just that his view was on a horizontal plane, therefore he would have only seen them as and when they breached or swam alongside. Whereas the drones view was very close to being vertically above them, showing the position of the individual dolphins whether they were breaching, diving or swimming submerged.

3 points

1. I said it first, nah nah re irrelevant posts. My posts were in response to the irrelevancies.

2. Apologies to Coastguard re my membership voting rights. Members can vote at the regional level which then appoints people to the national level

3. I take your point Steve about the horizontal, but eye level is metres above that and dolphins were also clearly breaking the surface. Do you think you would have seen them?

Yes I would have and I'm sure he did, but whether he realised that it was a pod surrounding the boat??? All conjecture and supposition on our part.

I know that I've had dolphins scare the daylights out of me, entering west cove at Whangaroa on a very dark moonless night I had several dolphins shoot past the boat so lit up with phosphoresense that it left a tube of light in the water!  My first (irrational) thought was who the hell's firing torpedo's'

Took a couple of rums after anchoring to get the heart rate back in order.