Battery boxes - rule 20.04

Bogan

"All batteries must be installed securely in adequate battery boxes. The bottom of the box must be above the level of the cabin sole. Battery boxes must be  acid proof unless all the batteries are fully sealed units."

I'm installing a new start battery. Anyone know what is an "adequate battery box"?

For me this just looks like it will get in the way of properly securing the battery.

I think it means that should the vessel go upside down, the box and it's restraints should be sufficient to prevent the battery from flying about the cabin spaces.

But on the issue of the box being able to contain any acid leakage, my understanding is that, wet cell batteries anyway, need to be able to vent. If this is correct then I am a little puzzled as to how a battery box can vent gas but still be acid proof.

I need to build new boxes as well.

What I did for my last boat (Cat 2 many times) re sealed was they want then tied down in case of invertion but the sealed container part is more to contain normal spills when topping up or if one boils over due to overcharging etc

So I just got a small tarp from the wharehouse folded it in half, took out the batteries, laid the tarp inside the battery compartment, replaced batteries and strapped them down then tied the edges of the tarp across the top. Tarp was still working ten years later when we sold.

If you have wet cell batteries, they must be able to vent. Securing the batts requires them not to come loose in a roll-over. Sealing the box is only for spills as above.

I see many (sealed) batts now simply strapped into a base that prevents them sliding. These boats have got cat 1 ok.

If building a box, make a decent effort and you'll be fine. Good mounts, straps etc that will actually hold the battery etc..