Marina fees hike

Well I sit with feet up on a Friday looking forward to weekend , a ding sound from the iPad , e mail from gulf harbour , Marina fees increase for water and compliance issues to all Marina uses $21.00 an day $76.00 a month what next , I am sick of this bu,,Sh,,t , I would hardly use water. , , so that makes the avarage person renting a 10.6 to $630 an month or $7665 pa unbelievable I need to go for a walk

Bad things are happening at Gulf Harbour. How about $100 a day to store a Ross 40 mast?? I could add more, but it certainly looks like someone maximising profits. On the other hand, dealing with Brin Wilson and the other pros up there was nothing but a pleasure!!

• Upvote 1

Yep there is an annual get together of all the Marina Bosses in the Country. I am sure they must discuss what new strategies there are in getting fee's hiked up ;-)
So what new compliance costs are there?
The other night when on TV, it showed the Town where a new Water front walkway was Built and Chris Carter said that under law, they had to put up a Railing so as people didn't fall in and Drown. I was thinking about how long it would be before Marinas had to put railings around the Fingers to stop someone falling in. :roll:

Yep, GH hardstand have gone up too. Already I don't use that service - too expensive. Weiti or Sandspit are way cheaper.

Wheels there are already regs for railings in marinas. It there is a drop to the water, it must have a railing, unless it is a wharf ( or could be - has to have cleats/bollards) or has a batter (usually a sloped rock wall in a Marina) down to the water.

I'm on the waterways BC committee for the gulf harbour marine village marina (where the apartments are). We have just been through this for the new berths.

My understanding is that the guy who owns GH marina also owns another in Auckland.

It's definitely getting more expensive to own a boat in Auckland. :-(

This is why your boat is worth nothing ,it's these lowlife scheming bunch of thieves that have turned people off buying a boat , council don't want moorings so try to get one of them and your insurance company will empty you if you do ,,,, I need another walk

Well I sit with feet up on a Friday looking forward to weekend , a ding sound from the iPad , e mail from gulf harbour , Marina fees increase for water and compliance issues to all Marina uses $21.00 an day $76.00 a month what next , I am sick of this bu,,Sh,,t , I would hardly use water. , , so that makes the avarage person renting a 10.6 to $630 an month or $7665 pa unbelievable I need to go for a walk

Do you rent from the marina company? I havent recieved any email.

I see Pine Harbour are wanting $645 p/mth for a 10.5m berth.

Holy sh*t.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/marina-berths/auction-1172846734.htm

I think it was KM who earlier in this thread the said the Marina owners recently got together.

Doesn't that break some sort of commerce or anti competitiveness Laws?

And I don't reckon you should be able to own more than one marina due to those anti competitive laws. The guy that owns Hobsonville also owns Bayswater as an example.  

Or does being anti competitive with ability to screw the public with serious price hikes - despite record low inflation - not apply to the Marina industry?

Obviously not.

Doesn't that break some sort of commerce or anti competitiveness Laws

They have a get together once every year. It's a kind of "support group" where they can discuss their industry and the issues that arise within it. Or at least they used to. Does it break any laws? no unless some or all conspire to set a price. There is nothing wrong with any or all discussing charges, but no one can say, hey lets all charge X and promise not to undercut, so we can all rip off these yachties.

2 years ago when I sold my boat (Whiting 29) a 10.5 metre marina rental was around $400.00 per month, now it looks like it's over $600.00 per month .........a 50% increase in 2 years, daylight robbery. With the squeeze now going on moorings and poles (Westhaven) being removed is there an answer for a safe/reasonably  priced place to house a boat around Auckland? I think even the cats in places like Shoal Bay can't feel 100% safe with their future 

In my line of industry (civil construction) certain prices have remained relatively static in the last few years, when I do see price increases is usually on the back of government/local authority rules and regulations driving the specification to another level that is usually negated by more costly processes and products to meet their demands and these increases are generally handed onto the end user, in our case, the owner of the project. Looks likes this same scenario is evident in Marinas and whenever an increase is handed onto a Marina (in this case potable water use) it's just handed on, most probably with interest ..............Maybe it's time the Marinas got a little smarter and absorb or sucked up some of these costs to keep their clients happy. 

They have a get together once every year. It's a kind of "support group" where they can discuss their industry and the issues that arise within it. Or at least they used to. Does it break any laws? no unless some or all conspire to set a price. There is nothing wrong with any or all discussing charges, but no one can say, hey lets all charge X and promise not to undercut, so we can all rip off these yachties.

I have no doubt whatsoever they indeed did say to each other "hey lets all charge X and promise not to undercut, so we can all rip off these yachties.". The simultaneous price hikes in Marinas around Auckland bear that out. 

If you believe that they have agreed to fix prices then you can easily lay a complaint with the Commerce Commission.  You can even do it online.  You would be surprised how many businesses and business people do not understand the Commerce Act.  A company can not indemnify you as an employee of you break the Act and consequently you can be fined as an individual quite significant sums.

It reads like this , after a recent review of water costs , and compliance costs we have to increase berth rates , these take effect from 1st nov 2016 , your new rate will be $21.00 per day , $630 per 30 day month , next paragraph ,,, summer is coming so we hope you have a lovely summer , , ,I need a walk fast