Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

Have to say that after slaughtering a fair few innocent bunnies with a .22, it doesn't really present as a .22 wound.  It is pretty hard to spot an entry wound from a .22.  Owha seems to be quite happy so I can't imagine there is a lot of smashed bone or anything behind that hole?  What else could cause that hole - maybe a small child defending themselves?  Exploding fender?

Have to say that after slaughtering a fair few innocent bunnies with a .22, it doesn't really present as a .22 wound.  It is pretty hard to spot an entry wound from a .22.  Owha seems to be quite happy so I can't imagine there is a lot of smashed bone or anything behind that hole?  What else could cause that hole - maybe a small child defending themselves?  Exploding fender?

A high powered slug gun? A .22 would likely make more damage inside, but we don't know how much damage there is.

If your fenders are exploding like that, then you should stop filling them with hydrogen.

As for someone carrying a gun onto their boat I regularly do this, in a bag to protect it of course and have never been stopped or even questioned for that matter (shotgun for starting SSANZ races)

And yes I’m a farmer who deals with large dangerous animals regularly, very really does any animal attack unless provoked or threatened the main exception being some domesticated dogs that are breed and conditioned to attack.

What I’m saying is I’d rather swim in Westhaven than walk into some backyards in a rented house.

As much as I’d like any threat removed the most dangerous part of your weekend away on your boat is still the drive to and from the marina

Stingray barb?

Raz 88 may have it there, not a scrap of evidence pointing to a gun.....

This is a more plausible cause than a gun shoot wound.

Meanwhile, the Owha researcher is busy running around slandering boaties:

"We've got a large apex predator living in the largest marina in Auckland and a lot of people don't believe she belongs here because she's regarded as an Antarctic species.

"Unfortunately it's a wildlife conflict and it's one of these things that we have to learn to deal with."

Ms Mathias said Owha had never attacked anyone, but one of her favourite things to do was to bite inflatable dinghies.

She was not quite sure how many have fallen victim, but it was more than 60.

"I think it's a bit of a play behaviour, a bit like a dog with a chew toy," she said.

"She's really curious and a little bit cheeky and she'll follow people in the boat to see what they're doing. She seeks out the attention of people and she just enjoys being in Auckland."

It's for this reason it's feared a disgruntled boatie may have tried to take the law into their own hands.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/401985/auckland-s-resident-leopard-sea-seen-with-injuries-consistent-with-being-shot

As for someone carrying a gun onto their boat I regularly do this, in a bag to protect it of course and have never been stopped or even questioned for that matter (shotgun for starting SSANZ races)

Case in point Jon,

every time you fire a gun off a boat, several hundred people hear it, all hell breaks loose, at lease one media organisation captures it (LiveSailDie) and its all over the internet in the time it takes you to reload.

It is really hard to let a few rounds off a boat discretely. And you do that out by Northern Leading, where there aren't any residence, paid security or CCTV...

The chances of anyone letting a round or two off in the largest marina in the Southern Hemisphere and not being noticed, is very low.

PS, do you undertake recreational activities in the bulls paddock, without removing the bull first? like family picnics, playing tag with the grandkids, doing donuts on the quad bike etc?

https://www.guncity.com/firearm-accessories/silencers  they are legal in NZ and they work.

The bulls in paddock analogy does not apply as their behaviour is reasonably well known,  if you let your kids swim in the sea you are exposing them to greater unknowns. The sea is full of bigger things that can bite you (but mostly don't) 

If you're referring to large sharks as 'bigger things' in the sea, sharks aren't known to frequent the same areas in shallow water, beaches and quiet bays that kids tend to swim and play. So that is a fairly weak arguement.

And yes, bulls behaviour is fairly well known, yet very few farmers will loiter in the bulls paddock if they don't need to, let alone go and undertake recreational activities in there without moving it. That is the whole point. Bulls present a known risk, very few people go and expose themselves to that risk unnecessarily. Even less people would expose kids to the risk of a bull. I'm fairly sure there is more than one govt department that would take your kids off you if you were exposing them to the risk of large animals such as bulls unnecessarily. Yet other govt departments seem to think its ok to leave this risk lying around the urban environment.

sh*t, even today the Ministry of Education is talking about banning popcorn, chips and sausages because of the undue risk they pose to kids...

The double standard is laughable.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/402071/ministry-wants-to-ban-choke-risk-foods-like-saveloys-dried-fruit-and-nuts-from-ece-centres

I just do not get DOC with this seal,it roams does what it wants,punctures rubber toys(inflatables) and DOC do nothing over a wound it has suffered. Yet had it been a kiwi weka kea all hell would break loose to capture,repair the damage.

Had the seal been in a marine park like marine world napier/san diego the vets would find a way to help it recover.

Its not just rubber "toys" at least one company has had in excess of $100k in damage to their boat/s. There is likely over 500k all together. Some people will certainly hold a grudge, but there is still no proof anyone has actually shot it.

• Upvote 1

Whoever shot it is an asshole, it wasn’t hurting anyone. Why make it suffer needlessly?

60 dinghies ranging from say 100 for a small repair to a retube or replacement at say 2-3k. anyway lets round it off at 1000 per dinghy. Thats 60 freakin' grand that I would like to see either the marina or DOC stump up for because that is hurting all of us boaties with insurance hikes. I wonder how many dinghies have been ahem.. upgraded from old and tired to spankers? Anyway that is a real problem, if it was a dog it would be kicked everytime it did that until it got the message but were in this limbo land where its got a cute name and rights to abide but no responsibility for the great westhaven dinghy massacre

You are starting to post conflicting messages here

get the trolling over to small talk, this is about the seal 

And now it looks like you've run out of logic or reasonable arguements and are just doing some toy throwing.

Bulls are dangerous, that is why they are kept in paddocks and people stay away from them.

How is a Leopard Seal any different?

The govt will ban popcorn and chips cause they are dangerous, but leave a wild apex predator to play in the urban environment? C'mon....

Eye don't beleave for one minute that the seal is playing with the inflatable boats. Eye beleave that it's is using the compressed air to floss it's teeth.

If the marina was to set up a compressed air lead some place. that the little beasty can access it,will leave the dings alone. And have good teeth health and live a long and happy life.

The fact that after all these months and 600+ posts nobody has so much as changed the spelling mistake in the thread title makes me believe that action on Happy Teeth isn't happening any time soon.

Looks more like tooth mark to me, probably bit it's own lip when a dinghy popped :-)

I just do not get DOC with this seal,it roams does what it wants,punctures rubber toys(inflatables) and DOC do nothing over a wound it has suffered. Yet had it been a kiwi weka kea all hell would break loose to capture,repair the damage.

Had the seal been in a marine park like marine world napier/san diego the vets would find a way to help it recover.

Vets are not magicians. As has been said before on this thread, anaesthetising mammals such as seals and dolphins is not possible. Vets don't work on Tigers  and Leopards (or even your regular tabby) with out some kind of anaesthetic. If the could, they would.

Shooting it is simply not an option. Just like shooting a rogue and dangerous kiwi wouldn't be an option.

Just keep away from it, and don't leave your dinghy inflated in the water when you're not there. Get different fenders, and legislate that insurance companies can't increase their premiums based on the presence of Owha?

I know it's difficult for that company mentioned above to not leave their gear unattended. But tat the end of the day, if leopard seals have made Westhaven their home, removing one will only see her replaced by another, I'm guessing.

Shooting it is simply not an option. Just like shooting a rogue and dangerous kiwi wouldn't be an option.

Just keep away from it, and don't leave your dinghy inflated in the water when you're not there. Get different fenders, and legislate that insurance companies can't increase their premiums based on the presence of Owha?

I dont understand why shooting it is not an option. I'm not stirring, I just don't understand. Its not endangered, it is causing trouble and there is a risk it may injure humans.

And I'm glad to pay a squillion dollars a year to berth my boat at a marina where you cant leave your dinghy in the water. or have fenders. Oh wait.  

DOCs response to it all is a f*cking joke.

• Upvote 4

The fact that after all these months and 600+ posts nobody has so much as changed the spelling mistake in the thread title makes me believe that action on Happy Teeth isn't happening any time soon.

Looks more like tooth mark to me, probably bit it's own lip when a dinghy popped :-)

Is that a dig at me? Fixed it for you :-)

In San Diego, not just one, but a whole colony of seals are a constant at the various marinas, and have always been a constant.  

One notable circumnavigator currently berthed in San Diego writes:  "When I stood in the companionway yesterday afternoon I discovered a large sea lion sunning himself on the dock beside GANNET.  He had arrived quietly and I had not known he was there.  When he saw me he reared up and arrked with loud irritation.

Before GANNET’s circumnavigation I learned from a dock yard worker that sea lions can surprisingly be driven off by water.  They don’t like to be sprayed with a hose.  Mine was on the dock a little too close to the beast, so I got the plastic bowl I use as the kitchen sink and reached over the side to fill it.  The instant I threw the contents at him, he dove from the dock.

He circled around, but when each time he approached the dock he saw me now armed with the hose, he finally gave up and went elsewhere."