Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

We are trying to organise the one less brutal way before someone goes all vigilante on it's arse....as we are hearing and being told is not far away. One man spoke to me over the weekend about it and he is very keen to take it out and he reckons he can do it without endangering people or boats and no one would know. When explained how I do believe him, in fact it is a damn cunning plan...... unless you're the seal.

Nearly 200 kids have missed out of water safety training stuff now, dragon boats aren't boating, people are not swimming and the reports coming back about the seals activities are getting spookier.

Someone has suggested its just playing but I can't find anyone willing to go rub it's tummy to find out.

If it was a Pitbull it would have been dealt with before lunch. Hell, even stray prostitutes get the move along faster and they aren't a apex predator ... generally.

• Upvote 1

Yeap I'd agree, I saw no one call for it either.

But that doesn't stop it being pertinent and factual, unlike Melanie the misandrist.

Still there - had a go at a couple of dogs on S marina on Saturday afternoon. One dog was so petrified it refused to get off boat for a couple of hours.

I'll sort it. I'll bring our big Male Cat up ;-) 

Just last Thursday, which had been warm, so the back door was wide open letting some cool air through, early evening of a long day making hooks, I decided to lay down on the Couch and study the inside of my eyelids. The little Female Cat (gennaker) tears into the room, which I thought nothing much of as she often tears around. Then I kind of had this feeling someone was there in front of me and I opened my eyes to this great big Dog sitting there right in front of me looking at me. Gave me a fright, but he was friendly. I lead him out, but was met by the Big Male Cat (Mizzen) standing in the middle of the Hall with back raised and growling. Now this Male Cat is normally a woose. But He was holding hois ground and was not going to back down which surprised me. I had to keep pushing him back toward the door. He growled, the Dog whimpered and eventually I got the Dog out the Door and outside. I let the Dog go and said go home and the Cat lept into him. The Dog took off yelping with the Cat wrapped on his hind quarters. I was stunned. I never thought the Cat had it in him. I knew he had been getting into fights with other Male cats around lately, but never knew who came off as Top Cat. If think I know now.

• Upvote 1

Two new words in one week KM!!  :razz:

I know, who would have seen that coming. I have a good teacher with magnificent timing who also owns a Ross, so that helped a lot. Thanks fella. :thumbup:

I have to go write some anti-referances for a wayward Seal now. 

Hello everyone

With regards to the leopard seal, Westhaven Marina is working with DOC and respecting DOC's wishes with regards to the seal and its wellbeing. Please note that the seal is protected by legislation - you can find out more on DOC's website here:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/marine-mammals/seals/leopard-seal/

Please continue to respect the safety advice that is found on DOC's signage around the marina. The main point is to stay 20m back from the seal, keep your kids and pets close to you, and don't get between the seal and the water. 

If the seal is blocking access to or from your boat, please call the marina team on VHF or 0800 MARINAS and they will give you a ride on the marina vessel.

Any issues or questions should be directed to the DOC ranger whose contact details are on the Leopard Seal page on our website: 

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/westhaven-new/news-events/seal-warning/

Westhaven Team, can you confirm that WH is not a safe place for owners to enter the water to clean their hulls and that pro divers are no longer offering service there.

• Upvote 1

Some what ironic to see on the Seal page warnings about not swimming and a promo for paddle boarding in Westhaven. I suppose having a seriously dangerous and unpredictable animal swimming under you is an incentive to learn to stay on your board damn fast.

pound for pound

leopard seals are worth more to DOC than people

so don't expect anyone there to move it, until it effects their funding

don't bother westhaven, they've passed the buck to DOC

don't bother DOC, they've decided to keep it

get on to Goff

and your local MP

let them know you'll hold them personally responsible

if it starts biting and they've put eco-tourism above safety

leopard-seal-03.jpg

don't feed the seals

keep your dogs and children

well away

Westhaven Team, can you confirm that WH is not a safe place for owners to enter the water to clean their hulls and that pro divers are no longer offering service there.

Hi Mark, in our marina rules we advise berth holders not to swim within the marina. This has been the case for a long time and for a number of reasons - google 'swimming in marinas' for a list of reasons.

With regards to divers, you need to talk with your diver if you are employing one, or ask DOC directly for their advice.