Marine Coax for VHF radio

My vhf coax cable looks original on a 1980 boat (9.6m boat , so only need about 20 metres of cable, and the shield is corroded RG58(?) cable. Any suggestions for where can I get marine grade coaxial cable (tinned core and shield) and suitable corrosion resistant connectors. Google not particularly helpful. jaycar don't provide specs for their cable. I'll get the heavier RG213 if I have enough room in the mast to get it through, else probably the thinner RG58 -or possibly the lower loss LM400 if I can get marine grade.  Planning to run it through in one piece and get connectors in case I need to step the mast. at some point in the future. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Eric. Yep, I came across that useful article - and he opted for low loss coax with non tinned core, and tinned braid. 50 ohm is the correct impedance for marine vhf. But he did identify a more expensive option with tinned core and braid which is what I am trying to source. Else, I'll go for low loss too and let the corrosion be a future issue.

Marine grade coax cable and connectors are available from Pacific aerials, or anyone who sells their stuff, which is likely to be every marine electrician in the country. I have several rolls of coax and a box full of connectors, IT is likely to have the same if you are Auckland based....

As per the pdf just wrap your connections in self amalgamating tape and you'll be sweet as. Our vhf coax connections at work are in more corrosive environments than up your mast and seem to hold up fine. Anything over ~6m we use RG213. It could be worth getting a price from these guys http://www.hi-tec-aerials.co.nz/. You know what they say about marine companies and charging...

The lower loss cables such as the LMR series and Westflex cables are a two way win, more transmit power being delivered to the antenna and less attenuation (cable induced losses) of the received signal. Putting it simply this gives you a bigger mouth and better ears. 

LMR195-DB is physically the same size as RG58 and retains its integrity when its outer case gets nicked (DB - direct burial).  It is easy to install and uses cheaper RG58 connectors, loss at VHF frequencies for 25m is about 3.5dB 

AC Technologies are the NZ agent for Times Microwave so you can buy all the different types of LMR cable and matching connectors either online or from their shop in Kingsland.

http://www.actechnologies.co.nz/ols_asp/default.asp?cat=CACP-CO50-LM

• Upvote 1

A point to remember is that none of the connectors are waterproof or for that matter even rain proof so heat shrink plus a good wrapping of rubber self amalgamating tape for uv protection is required. The better heat shrink is the stuff telecom uses for direct burial, When you heat it a resin runs out of it. It is available from J A Russell. Minimise  the number of connectors as there are losses for both transmit and receive with each one.

You could try somewhere like aviation performance in parkway drive on the shore, they do a lot of mil spec wiring their. I know for sure they have the thinner stuff. 

I would probably look up aircraft spruce for a cross reference to what you want, then give them a call 

Coaxial connectors can vary a lot in quality Jaycar stuff is rubbish manufactured in China it doesn't take solder very wel and tolerances can be shonky at times. I tend to stick with amphenol connectors and have imported them for my own use from RF Parts and another American company called AES Amateur Electronic Supply.