Marinepests.nz - reference for marina requirements & council rules

Just a note on TBT. It is no longer used on Commercial Shipping. It had an outright ban back in 2008. There were a few places in the Caribbean still using it, but not sure if that is still thecase, because it is a very hard to get product now.

I think there are two relevant points that are not been discussed here -Paint type and Removal of any detected Fanworm.

It has been pointed out that a haul and wash in the last month qualifies.  But no one is talking about the fact that the vast majority of sailboat owners are cruisers and in turn most of those use ablative paints (just look at the breakdown of product on the shelf in your local marine store to see what people buy and use).  While most owners select an ablative because of ease of application, lack of buildup and as having good performance in the slip/on the mooring without the need for regular diving they are not compatible with in water cleaning and even less so a haul and pressure wash.  This means we are not talking about a simple haul/wash before visiting the Coromandel or Northland on holiday but for a lot of people reading it is a haul and repaint.  The cost just jumped exponentially.  

For those that use a hard paint and dive in water this is not the solution either as if a fan worm is found you are not allowed to remove it (In an earlier post I described a 20mm fan worm being found on my prop only 22 days after the last in water wipe down). No, the vessel must be either dived by a certified diver who has been trained (I have been told training is not available to recreational divers) -yes read $$'s and often a requirement to take the boat to their operating area, or preferably get hauled at a yard and the offending fanworm removed on the hard (time to move the boat during the week, time to get a slot, money).  Again the lack of a pathway to allow boat owners to comply (no training, no grids) means increased compliance costs and a disincentive comply.

When will the rule makers realise that as sailers we respect the oceans and environment we have and we will do our part if you make it easy to comply.  It is this constant regulation, the need for a certification before anything can be done, and lack of a way for the average man to do the right thing on his own dime that just encourages the cowboy attitude. 

• Upvote 2

When the Northland council dives on the hulls of cruise liners anchored off Russell then I will take them seriously, until then them and their square barnacles are just a joke, I can sail all around the bay and Whangaroa without ever going near a marina, and yes my hull is clean as I dont want any drag.

No, the vessel must be either dived by a certified diver who has been trained (I have been told training is not available to recreational divers)

Diving with a chair and a whip to fend off attacking Fan worm is not an easy thing ;-)