lifejackets, communications etc

Guest 000

True, but we need to concentrate on what matters as opposed as to what's just PC.

I don't like Chinese in call centres, and I don't think they should be there becasuse we are an English speaking country and most of us can't understand what these call takers are talking about.

British in positions of authority tend to be officious - this from long experience of sailing in and out of English ports.

Nobody's more opinionated than the Dutch. I'm married to one (who isn't) but even she agrees with this assessment.

In the back of my little yellow truck taking the same smoking patient with COPD to hospital for the fourth time, who asked 'why does this always happen to me?' To which I answered 'it happens because you're stupid and make bad decisions.'

So in our PC world I'm a racist cruel mouthed bigot but this is true - if you do have the misfortune to find yourself in thed back of my little yellow truck, be assured that I'll do the best that I can for you, whoever you are.

I'm all for making thed world a better place but let's do it without all the PC fear of, God forbid' saying something some may consider improper.

It makes the world a better place when people care Chris.

All you seem to care about is bolstering your ego by 'correcting' other peoples shortcomings - as you see them. The constant questioning of posters world views, you find fault with, is nothing but trolling and should be treated as such by admin.

• Upvote 1

True, but we need to concentrate on what matters as opposed as to what's just PC.

I don't like Chinese in call centres, and I don't think they should be there becasuse we are an English speaking country and most of us can't understand what these call takers are talking about.

British in positions of authority tend to be officious - this from long experience of sailing in and out of English ports.

Nobody's more opinionated than the Dutch. I'm married to one (who isn't) but even she agrees with this assessment.

In the back of my little yellow truck taking the same smoking patient with COPD to hospital for the fourth time, who asked 'why does this always happen to me?' To which I answered 'it happens because you're stupid and make bad decisions.'

So in our PC world I'm a racist cruel mouthed bigot but this is true - if you do have the misfortune to find yourself in thed back of my little yellow truck, be assured that I'll do the best that I can for you, whoever you are.

I'm all for making thed world a better place but let's do it without all the PC fear of, God forbid' saying something some may consider improper.

Slight thread drift, but call centres full of asians are the result of globalisation and free trade that allows western companies to shift these operations overseas (or bring in cheap workers in as the case may be), to cut costs dramatically by paying low cost workers to do all the jobs "home-grown" (can't think of a better term at the moment) people used to do. Blame greedy companies who lobby politicians with election donations, who then pay back those greedy companies by signing up free trade deals and other favours.

Mind you, some of the worst customer service on the phone I have ever had has been courtesy of "home-grown" workers. At least the Asian call centre workers are eager to help you, even if you may need to convert the pidgin english into some form you can understand.

• Upvote 1

No, you should be blaming the people who let the politicians do that.

I'd say who but I fear I'll be called out as a homophobic anti-Semitic agnostic promiscuous salacious racist with strong misogynistic and misandristic tenancies.

Gezz Smithy, what have you done :razz:

You just described Donald Trump.

Weird thing is, I agree with the Orange Orangutan about the TPP trade deal, even if I know he only is against it for his own BS reasons.

Holy heck. This thread turned so fat, I feel like that TV program(??) of the car turning so fast and the passengers face pushed hard against the side Window. ;-)

Kev, I understand where you are coming from, but the original comments are Racist or Bigotry or stereo typing. It depends on what a statement is trying to convey. Someone with better english language skills than I may be able to better describe this. For instance, I could make a racist comment of "that is a bad driver, they must be Asian". Or "that Asian is a bad driver". The second is a factual statement. Plus I really believe we must have a small amount of "give and Humor" in our lives. It's too silly to take everything so serious, because in the end we all become far too sterile and PC. Just look at this original thread for instance. Imagine if we were all completely PC with this. We would never be able to call any of the Policy makers Morons and imagine the size their heads would become if it wasn't for the likes of us to check them regularly. It's almost a public service and in fact, a Mental Health service for them. We keep them closer to the real world by complaining a opposing the rules they create.  ;-)  ;-) 

Wow....one tongue in cheek comment turned the thread upside down. Oh well !Watching TV last night and saw the Chch cafes trying to discourage outside smoking. Now that's something the Regional Councils should really focus on instead of lifejackets. From the stats its clear that not that many people drown in boats. Seems many drown in cars ? Others die from hypothermia but get classed as a drowning. Lifejackets won't help there But theres no doubt that smoking kills . Lots ! R C's could help the public health by enforcing the Clean Air provisions they are responsible for. If they chose. Hope that doesn't cause thread drift but you get the point !

Man, I'm away for a few hours and look what happens.

May I remind you ALL of the rules. No personal attacks. If your post does not benefit the site, don't post it! Others are entitled to their opinions .

Play nice!

Or go away.

Thinking about this lifejacket thing again, we often wear lifejackets when going ashore in the dinghy. We often wear then whilst sailing and always whilst kayaking so one might logically ask, so what's the problem with making it compulsory?

The answer is with the 'compulsory' word which just doesn't sit well with all you bloody-minded sailors.

And I'm the same. Let me make my own decision and I'll probably wear one. Make it compulsory and, well, sod 'em.

Likewise I have absolutely no problem wearing a lifejacket when appropriate to do so.  I'll wear one paddling or motoring out to the boat, even though I've swum my windsurfing gear back to shore after breakage in the same body of water - and lived!

But I don't see why I should donn one to ferry picnic gear from boat 30m off Ocean Beach to shore in water I can pretty much stand in, or while mucking about with the kids on paddleboards in water they can stand in, or while I'm sitting in my dinghy under the tramps doing something or . . . or . . .

Like Chris said its the "Compulsory" and "no excuses" jargon that gets up my nose.  There are times where not wearing a life jacket is appropriate and my concern is that clipboard weilding bearucrats with either no interest in pragmatism ("no excuses") or no actual experience in boating (for whatever reason - including not being originally from this country) might rock up and issue me a fine.

Unthinking enforcement of rules can have some unfortunate side effects.  When some bunch of desk bound bureaucrats start enforcing life jacket wearing (and/or carrying) on every short dinghy trip they are increasing the exposure of the jackets to sand, salt water, UV, theft, and more importantly, when things do go wrong instead of the jackets being in the emergency grab bag, or some other specific location, the life jackets will be who knows where - in the dinghy, on someone's bunk, in a bag somewhere....  After 40 years in aviation I'm pretty sure that safety is not something that is achieved by dumb, unthinking application of a few specific rules.  In fact the teaching that you don't assess the risks, you just unthinkingly follow a few rules, you increase the risks in any complex process.

And of course as someone mentioned earlier, the fact that the rules vary from region to region is just plain barking mad.  Imagine if we had road rules, or CAA had different rules for flying that varied region to region.  Industry would tear the government from limb to limb.  But because boaties are a loose knit and diverse group we lack the ability to stop this regional nonsense.   Wait for the new rules that require each boat to carry bailer, comms, flares, etc AND a chart that clearly shows the boundaries of regional councils, so that the skipper knows which rules are in force!

We don't like and nothing supports us having to be teated like idiots.

And hence why we don't like OSH telling us we can't do something we have been doing all our lives with no problem.

Anyway....yet another stupid part to this life jacket thing is the policing. So regions don't have decent enough budgets to patrol. How silly is that. But it is not isolated to just this situation. You all know we have serious fishing restrictions down here. Well last labour weekend, Lady Liz the Police boat came across from Wellington to patrol the Sounds. I forget the exact number of boats stopped. Something like 100. 16 of those Boats had breached the rules. 3 were serious breaches and will result in Court. Issues of too many Fish, under size and over and a Commercial Charter operator who was found with 30 filleted Cod on board. You are not allowed to transport Cod filleted through the closed area. Anyway...what I am really saying here is that Lady Liz had to come across from Wellington. So how many times do the Fisheries guys get out there to check? It's one thing about breaking the rules, but you aren't going to stop those doing so if they think no one checks anyway.