2016 Rum race

So far we have some good prizes - Rum, of course, And a Baltic lifejacket, some really good sunglasses, B&G dry bag, and some other stuff. Spot prizes etc as normal. So far about the same entry numbers as we had last year 10 days out...

Got any heavy cruising boats coming along to race their homes?

I'm cruising down the coast with the dolphins after returning from New Caledonia.

My only handicap is my sailing ability.... oh and the rather full stocks of food, whiskey, water, beer, fuel, wine, books, toys...  Good luck finding that on your racetrack!

Maybe Wifey would like to go and visit her parents early for Christmas... and the lads could come over for a 'meeting' and we could inadvertently find ourselves at the start line...

...or maybe I'll just cruise out with my drone and click click...

Cape Rodney says hi!

It's a perfect day for sailing out here. Why are you at work again?

Hi people, entries as at Sunday 18:00 or so

Absolut Leisure Leisure 42
Akatea Cookson 50
Anarchy YD37
Atamai First 44.7
Chain Reaction Elliott 1050
Duty Free Farr 1220
Elliphunk Elliott 935
Extreme Rocket 30
Fun n Games MG30
Harken MRX
Higher Ground Ross 35
Hotdogger Ross930
Hyperactive Elliott 7 Trailer Sailer
Legless Young 88
Lightning Elliott 7.9
Morgana Townson 10m
Nocturne Townson 26
Patiko Stewart 34
Polaris Stewart 34
Psyche Stewart 34
Rant Tan II Elliot 50
Real Deal Elliott 770
Revolution Blues Ross 830
Sonic Young 88
Spearhead E1050 Heavyweight Cruiser
Sunset Sam Ross 650
tazzy devil Elliott 10.5
The Bondi Tram Ross 930
The Entertainer Ross 930
Timberwolf Multi
Transformer Elliott 42
Urban Cowboy Ross 40

White Knight GBE

Happy to take entries until Matt says enough, be good to see a few more and forecasts are looking very promising

Entries still being taken, as usual a bit of a rush in the last few days, but looks a bit lower than last year's numbers at this time. That may yet change.....

Please, if you intend to enter, get your entry in ASAP..

Thanks

Matt

Hi people,

Well, this year it seems to be a case of deja vu all over again, similar forecast, similar uncertainty in the forecast but hopefully a pretty spectacular evening to be on the water.

Best guess for the forecast is a north easterly kicking in later in the afternoon of around 15kts which should be just about perfect, hopefully the weather gods will do the honourable thing and stick with the forecast.

As with last year, we'll run two courses, 8.9nm for most and 11.3 for a few of the quicker boats.  Particularly for those starting last on the short course or first on the long course, if you especially want to sail the other course, let me know and I'll see what can be arranged. 

The division split has changed a little from last year, just the way it's panned out with the entries we've received.

8.9nm:  From the start round Orakei Buoy to port, Rough Rock Buoy to port to the finish.

11.3nm:  From the start rounding Orakei to port, Saltworks buoy to port to the finish.

The start line is defined as a line from Westhaven tower to the outer distance mark (ODM), the finish line is a transit from the Westhaven Tower through the outer distance mark to the northern side of the harbour.

Start times shall be signalled with number boards on the tower and we will endeavour to broadcast each start time on VHF ch77.  We expect to coordinate start times using GPS time so starting on your GPS time should work well.

Be aware people you are sailing under Collregs which do require a higher degree of caution while navigating in close proximity to other vessels.  There are also insurance implications so if close to other vessels, throttle back the racing enthusiasm, no one wants a damaged boat just before their Christmas cruise.

Any questions, please email me at mmulcare@xtra.co.nz

Start times, as at 18:00, Tuesday 20 December

8.9nm course :

17:45 Fun n Games
17:45 Nocturne
17:45 Serene
17:46 Lightning
17:46 Sunset Sam
17:47 Hyperactive
17:52 Polaris
17:52 Revolution Blues
17:52 Morgana
17:53 Bondi Tram

17:53 Mindbender
17:54 Hot Gossip II
17:54 Urban Escape
17:56 Patiko
17:56 Real Deal
17:56 Sonic
17:57 Babe
17:57 Drop Dead Fred
17:58 Hotdogger

17:58 Predator
17:58 Tazzy Devil
17:59 Duty Free
17:59 Elliphunk
18:00 Psyche II
18:01 Harken
18:03 Shrek's House
18:03 The Entertainer
18:04 Chain Reaction
18:04 Fast Company

18:04 Rhythm N Blues

18:04 R n B
18:06 Tigga
18:07 Spearhead
18:07 Valium
18:08 Absolut Leisure
18:08 Atamai
18:08 Extreme
18:08 Sunfast 3600 Racing
18:08 Transformer

11.3nm course :

17:50 Force Eleven
17:50 Higher Ground
17:50 Urban Cowboy
18:00 White Knight
18:00 Anarchy
18:06 Freedom
18:08 Ran Tan II
18:08 Akatea

18:11 Attitude
18:13 Timberwolf

i'll be in the tower taking the finishing order, and despite being opposed to cheating I am open to bribes.

I'll take two books off you for Eric - that will be a massive saving in petrol on your drive home.  Will this suffice? 

I've been driving all over Akl looking for rolls of tinsel (as opposed to 2m pre-cut lengths at all the $2 shops) the various The Warehouses are all out of stock apparently - any other ideas?