Marina eWof requirements

That is something I get annoyed with also. Yes, even brand new still in the wrapper you could  say, you have to get someone to Test and Tag it. Waste of time and money. They should come with a 12month tag already fitted in my opinion. Or at the very least, a manufacturing date that then allows you 12months before you have to test and tag.
You could do it another way, but it is more expensive. Get a sparky to make a lead at the exact length you need and then as part of that, he can tag it for you. Except there is no way a sparky can come even close to the price you can buy a lead for from Mega10 etc. Mind you, he would be using a good quality plug and a good quality lead and that is something anyone would be paying top dollar for at the big retailers anyway.

• Upvote 1

Yes wheels , but I believe nobody should be allowed to sell any thing that needs testing for use , put it back on the retailers to get the tag as we have to , this is this unguided , miss handled self made health and safety bull Sh,,t crowd that save life's or should it be we have stoped being trained , in the art of common fkn scense , , , I think I need a walk , ,,,,,,

Yes wheels , but I believe nobody should be allowed to sell any thing that needs testing for use , put it back on the retailers to get the tag as we have to , this is this unguided , miss handled self made health and safety bull Sh,,t crowd that save life's or should it be we have stoped being trained , in the art of common fkn scense , , , I think I need a walk , ,,,,,,

Problem is, if the retailer has to tag, then they will charge more passing the cost on. So it is the manufacturer that needs to tag. They already have a tag on leads to show warnings and advertise the Country of origin etc, so all they need is a date of which the retailer could simply date with something like a stamp or Pen.

Like what , a new power lead has been tested before it leaves the factory , annoying thing is the day you buy a power lead or a power tool the outer casing starts to shrink and leave exposed cables , that's what the self made test and Tagers look for ,

Ummm Outer casing shrinking? That shouldn't happen.
One of the biggest issues is most people have no clue that there is a special way all Power leads need to be wound up. Many simply wrap it around their elbow. But this untwists the inner wires and you end up with a cable full of kinks you can never get out. There is a special way to wind it that every alternate wrap is flicked the opposite lay.
      When I was servicing, we would drop a long power lead into a Bucket of water before testing. It was surprising the number of leads from Building sites that had pin holes in the insulation from being dragged around the site and testing a wet lead would show that up.

• Upvote 1

Agree but new tools ,power tools have to be passed when New before the user gets hold of it , now big New Zealand wants a TAG on it after you buy it to comply with there company's rules ,more cost on the new home

That's incorrect, It's unlikely that a new tool has actually been tested for insulation, They may or may not have had a sample pulled from a production run and tested into the ground but that doesn't protect against flaws in the specific unit. QA between vendors can vary so much you'd never be able to police it, Given the recent TPS issue I doubt this stance will change

Tagging once in NZ ensure that as the owner has it in their hands at that point in time it's tested ok. Relying on a test in the factory when the unit is then freighted all over the place and held in place for short or long periods of time. Also, good luck getting Worksafe or a NZ court to fine Ryobi because of a faulty unit.

Nothing stopping a retailer in NZ getting them tested and tagged for sale off the shelf tho if there was a market for such a thing

Double insulation helps but it still doesn't stop defects and it doesn't stop issues with the fixed power lead as well which tends to be cheap as sh*t thermoset plastic.

Have you never had something DOA right out of the box? If QA can't pick up a dead tool right off the line then do you really think they will catch all of the dangerous defects?

Nope, I don't think it's due to testing. I can't remember a single incident BEFORE all this crap began being enforced.

I do know of some incidents and Deaths, mainly from the safety training, but no idea if these were in NZ or not.

The main reason the regs were introduced was to bring us into line with International standards and as Oz has written many of the standards, NZ adopted them. Hence many of the Regs have A/NZ before the number.

Just how far are you going back IT :P cable tags have been around in one shape or another since the 80's

Yep, agreed, but they were not enforced in the Marinas I was in back then...

and yes, I started sailing in the early 70s... :-(

If we carry on like scared pussys of every thing that comes with a power lead life will be a bad thing , New Zealand has a set of rules for importers , and manufacturers. To live up to. You can't import for sale in nz with out having certain criterior.

So let's move on