How to get water and diesel out of deep bilge

Hey guys, how do I firstly get the sludgy stinky diesel and water out of my bilge that has accumulated?

It is below the level of the bilge pump down there (it's a full keel deep bilge - must be a good three to four feet deep or more there under the cockpit where it has accumulated).

I was thinking drill pump? Any better ideas than that?

And, once I pump it out, what should I clean it with? Just a general detergent?  

Cheers for any thoughts on this.

cup into bucket

finish with sponge til just oily sludgr sticking to sides

next day (to see if you have leaks)

dishwash deteregent on sponge to wipe of sludge rinse in bucket with clean water with a little deteregent

if no dish detergent use laundry powder 

detergent is detergent, wraps up oil molecules   

then dry with rag

how have you plugged the prop shaft hole?

Already tried both the pads and the sausage like things. Both hardly made a dent, plus squeezing them was messy as sh#t. I am looking for a more, well, "powerful and quick" option to get rid of it all - there is a lot.

hope it's not in the water with only duct tape holding back the flood

if its out of the water pull off the tape

stick some garden hose up the prop shaft hole

position at deepest point

give yourself some good length outside

and suck a syphon

hope it's not in the water with only duct tape holding back the flood

if its out of the water pull off the tape

stick some garden hose up the prop shaft hole

position at deepest point

give yourself some good length outside

and suck a syphon

Definitely out of water. On cradle, in my driveway.

Wet and dry vaccy is brilliant. I'd go by a cheapy. Always a very handy thing to have on hand.

Erice is correct about dishwashing detergent. It works really well. But one I use a lot because I get great results from it is Klenco which is a yellow container from Supercheap. It's an excellent detergent on Oils. It has Alkaline Salts that help break down the Oil/grease sludgy gunge that tends to build in the bottom. I have not tried it, but have been told simple green have a product that is supposed to work well.

Vacuum Oil extractor as above.. They work an absolute treat for jobs like that. My last chore for mine was to vacuum all the rubbish out of my diesel tank as it was very conveniently constructed with no drain :( This however let me leave the tank installed for cleaning. 

Wet and dry vaccy is brilliant. I'd go by a cheapy. Always a very handy thing to have on hand.

Erice is correct about dishwashing detergent. It works really well. But one I use a lot because I get great results from it is Klenco which is a yellow container from Supercheap. It's an excellent detergent on Oils. It has Alkaline Salts that help break down the Oil/grease sludgy gunge that tends to build in the bottom. I have not tried it, but have been told simple green have a product that is supposed to work well.

Kenco, no 'l'...this stuff Wheels? http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Kenco-Heavy-Duty-Degreaser-6-Litre/343954

Hell yes. After I blew up the Wa's new one that was only an hour old by sucking fibreglass sandings I brought a $69 Ryobi, it's been magnificent for wet and dry. Highly recommended for the discerning Man Cave. At the same time I brought the Wa a new one as well....and now stay well clear if it.

A stainless wet n dry, that's a little sexy. I'd do that before the oil extractor.

That wet and dry stainless one is cheaper too than the oil extractor.  However, how "safe" are these wet 'n drys? Can handle that dirty, oily bilge water ok?

Thanks for a correction Partisan.

Wet and Dries are safe. But taking the quality slightly further, if you go to Godfreys, ask them for their one that has a "bypass" motor. I forget the name (damn I am really struggling with memory lately) it starts with P I think. Anyway, a Bypass motor means it gets it's own cooling air, rather than the air being sucked through the fans then going through the motor. This stops the motor from sucking dust and most importantly water, should it ever over fill. Where as all the others use very sucky motor air to cool the motor. There cleaner is no more expensive than the likes of the Repco/Supercheap/M10 units and in some cases, is actually cheaper.

Thanks for a correction Partisan.

Wet and Dries are safe. But taking the quality slightly further, if you go to Godfreys, ask them for their one that has a "bypass" motor. I forget the name (damn I am really struggling with memory lately) it starts with P I think. Anyway, a Bypass motor means it gets it's own cooling air, rather than the air being sucked through the fans then going through the motor. This stops the motor from sucking dust and most importantly water, should it ever over fill. Where as all the others use very sucky motor air to cool the motor. There cleaner is no more expensive than the likes of the Repco/Supercheap/M10 units and in some cases, is actually cheaper.

Pullman is the one you are thinking of.

If its on a cradle in the drive way then real quick and nasty solution is to drill a hole and let it drain out, wash it out then fill the hole with a bit of thickened epoxy.... I can understand if this would not be a preferred option

otherwise try a drum pump with a long stem on it 3 to 4 ft should suck up ok once the lift required becomes over 2.5 metres most pumps won't lift. From the looks of the picture the boat appears to be fibreglass so you should be able to get away with washing out with  Enviroclean which goes through oil like like last nights curry passes through the system. Enviroclean is a lot stronger than Simple Green..