Furlers - Auckland.

So, I have a spencer 28, and no furler.  On a budget, what would be best options?  Any recommendations, anyone selling second hand ones?  Price ranges? and of course would need a sail to go with it.  Any types/brands to avoid?

Thanks.

You should be able to get your current headsails modified to suit. I had mine taken back to hank on as when we got the standing rigging re-newed a replacement furler was quoted at 3k.

That's like nearly 1/2 the value of the boat :)

You should be able to get your current headsails modified to suit. I had mine taken back to hank on as when we got the standing rigging re-newed a replacement furler was quoted at 3k.

That's like nearly 1/2 the value of the boat :)

Thought I might be able to get a furler for around 1.5k? sail around same?  Didn't think of getting head sail modified, I'll look into that.  Really don't want to spend much, like you, boat isn't worth that much, but changing sails by yourself is a real pain.  There is so many boats with furlers, sure there must be a secondhand one somewhere.

Check out Alado furlers. Fairly basic but do the job. There is another thread here where there is more detail. I priced one for the tri - about $1300.00 landed depending on exchange rate. A Spencer 28 would probably use the same unit (A1). If using an existing sail you will need to have the hanks removed and a luff tape sewn on and most fit a UV strip.

NZ agent is Len May  sailfish.charters@outlook.com

Potentially off topic question, but why do you want a furler?

You mention it's a hassle changing sails by yourself.

If you are wanting a furler so as to part furl the sail to reduce sail area because the boat is getting over powered, they may be a different option.

I'm assuming a fair bit here, so apologies if I'm off.

Old sails get over powered easily. They are baggy and stretch to get baggier when the wind gets up. A logical response is often to think you need a smaller sail, or to get a furler so you can just part furl a little away. Generally, part furled sails have terrible shape and are not pleasant to sail with.

If your sails are a bit old, you will find a step change in performance with new sails. Specifically, I mean that they don't stretch when it gets blowey, and more so, you can flatten them out. This give depowers the sail, so the same size sail doesn't over power th boat. Being a spencer, which are a little tender, this effect will probably be more marked.

We have a narrow beam boat, and actually ditched the furler, as we never had the right sail for th conditions, always too small or over powered. We actually went for Hank on head sails, as nothing can go wrong short handed.

Depending on the state of your current sails, you may be better off spending the money on sails instead of a furler.

Of course, if you just want th convenience of rolling away you headsail, then ignore everything I've said.

• Upvote 1

Check out Alado furlers. Fairly basic but do the job. There is another thread here where there is more detail. I priced one for the tri - about $1300.00 landed depending on exchange rate. A Spencer 28 would probably use the same unit (A1). If using an existing sail you will need to have the hanks removed and a luff tape sewn on and most fit a UV strip.

NZ agent is Len May  sailfish.charters@outlook.com

Hi, yes I just found a trademe listing for alado and checked out their website.  I think this might be a good option, the existing genoa is very good condition, I'll see about getting it modified.

Thanks.

Potentially off topic question, but why do you want a furler?

You mention it's a hassle changing sails by yourself.

If you are wanting a furler so as to part furl the sail to reduce sail area because the boat is getting over powered, they may be a different option.

I'm assuming a fair bit here, so apologies if I'm off.

Old sails get over powered easily. They are baggy and stretch to get baggier when the wind gets up. A logical response is often to think you need a smaller sail, or to get a furler so you can just part furl a little away. Generally, part furled sails have terrible shape and are not pleasant to sail with.

If your sails are a bit old, you will find a step change in performance with new sails. Specifically, I mean that they don't stretch when it gets blowey, and more so, you can flatten them out. This give depowers the sail, so the same size sail doesn't over power th boat. Being a spencer, which are a little tender, this effect will probably be more marked.

We have a narrow beam boat, and actually ditched the furler, as we never had the right sail for th conditions, always too small or over powered. We actually went for Hank on head sails, as nothing can go wrong short handed.

Depending on the state of your current sails, you may be better off spending the money on sails instead of a furler.

Of course, if you just want th convenience of rolling away you headsail, then ignore everything I've said.

I have a large genoa that is in very good condition.  Just the hassle of changing sails when conditions change, and also effort in packing up.  Pretty hard to fold away a large sail by yourself, I just end up stuffing it away, takes up space too.

Thanks for your reply.

I have twin forestays (side by side) Recently had a reef point put into the 100% working head sail.  Had initial doubts over the baggy bit at the foot, but have since found that it is of no consequence and easy as hell to reduce sail and maintain great (perfect) shape.  Oh and as a bonus of course you can have battens sewn into the leach,   Brilliant in my view, and the reef point is just below the first batten.  Now for loading the 2nd forestay,and have just ordered a high cut yankee.  Should provide me with a pretty full compliment of sail options.

I have a Spencer 30 that came with a very similar furler as the Alado mentioned, loaded with a #1 head sail. Almost impossible (by your self) to change out, and absolutely useless when partially furled. With no knife edge on the luff and a bit baggy, when the wind got up I struggled.

Finally bit the bullet and removed the furler and bought a hanked yankee #2 high cut. Fantastic sail for the solo sailor, can be flattened up to 25kn before I need to drop down to a #3. Plus the bonus of the high cut gives great visibility.

I can see the advantage of a code 0 type furler, where the sail is furled and the complete assembly is removed, but the Alado type furler will require you to run a bolt rope up I think which is considerably more difficult than hanks.

Anyway, not trying to talk you out of your project, just sharing my experience.

Cheers

John Spencer used to make his own from a f4 or F5 fosters dinghy section with a alloy drum welded to the bottom and Nolathane buses inserted in the top and bottom they were a bit agricultural bot the worked I thing thee were 2 pieces of section with a sleeve in the middle to join them and bushes in the sleeve also he did this as it was cheap .His own 32 had it on it (Hey Jude)

I have a Spencer 30 that came with a very similar furler as the Alado mentioned, loaded with a #1 head sail. Almost impossible (by your self) to change out, and absolutely useless when partially furled. With no knife edge on the luff and a bit baggy, when the wind got up I struggled.

Finally bit the bullet and removed the furler and bought a hanked yankee #2 high cut. Fantastic sail for the solo sailor, can be flattened up to 25kn before I need to drop down to a #3. Plus the bonus of the high cut gives great visibility.

I can see the advantage of a code 0 type furler, where the sail is furled and the complete assembly is removed, but the Alado type furler will require you to run a bolt rope up I think which is considerably more difficult than hanks.

Anyway, not trying to talk you out of your project, just sharing my experience.

Cheers

Useless when partly furled?  I'm not experienced, I've never used a furler.  Almost every single boat I see has a furling headsail, they can't be that bad partly furled? What do all these other people do when the wind gets too strong?  Have a storm jib that fits on the furler and change it? They just loose a lot of performance when they furl?  There's no way I can fit another forestay so I can hank on a storm jib, it will get in the way of the furler.

I'm not the best with judging the sails and weather, I've had a few troubles changing down sails in rough weather, thought the furler would be the way to go.  And of course no way I can fold a large genoa by myself.

I saw a code 0 on trademe, so that is removable and uses rope?  You would loose a lot of strength then?

Just want to make the boat easiest to sail by myself.

It's very difficult if at all possible to get any sort of effective trim on a sail that's partially furled but I can see the appeal of being able to reduce sail area from the cockpit.

Some people here who do a lot of miles single handed might have an alternative system that works better.

Furlers are great for getting your sail on or away single handed or when fully crewed but an effective way to reduce sail area and continue to sail they do not make

But it will make the boat easier to sail by yourself and are definitely worth the investment, just maybe not it the situation you are thinking

The problem I found was the depth and cut of a genoa/#1/etc are designed for sailing in a specific wind direction and strength. Rolling a genoa into a #2 type size gives you a baggy #2 which can't be flattened. With a big roll on the luff that you can't point high, I would end up doing such broad tacks with -VMG, going nowhere. The best I could manage would be a broad reach and in a rising sea most uncomfortable; add a lee shore I'd have to drop it all and use the motor. Motoring in a heaving sea in my fat arsed Spencer is something to be avoided.

The other issue is the material weight of the sail. A genoa is essentially a downwind sail and light weight. But if the sail is to be a furler and shortened and sheeted in hard then it will need to be heavier weight, a big compromise for those light air conditions that the genoa wants to work in.

Having said all that and as you point out, lots of furlers out there. I'm sure modern sail design can compromise on all that and produce a useful furled headsail. Best to talk to a sailmaker who will be able to advise.

Certainly as a solo sailor I tend to be conservative in my choice of sail , especially in gusty conditions, and keep a good weather watch so I can change sail early. Keeps me fit LOL

• Upvote 1

Even the Vendée globe boats use furlers.

yes, but they have 4 of them, i.e. the don't try sailing with partly furled sails, they have a purpose designed and sized sail for each job / wind range.

They normally have three working sails, starting form the #1 and going through to the solent or the equivalent of a storm jib, and then a zero or other downwind type sails on removable furlers.

The benefit of a furler is in sail handling. There is no benefit in sail area control from furling.

Just want to make the boat easiest to sail by myself.

My opinion, which is based largely on 2 hand sailing, but also based on having a perfectly good furler that we removed, in order to have better sailing is :-

If you want the boat to sail well, and be easy to handle, then (I think) it's best to get properly sized / designed headsails for particular wind ranges.

We had a furler. Good furling sails are always a bit of a compromise. They aren't as big as a proper #1, so lack power in the sub 10 Knot wind range. Generally the are sized at about a 1.5. As discussed, a partly furled sail doesn't do that well. So th furling sail is limited to being useful within a certain wind range, circa 10 to 20 knots. We found ours was always too small, or we were over powered.

We got a good blade jib built, handles from about 12 knots to 25 ish plus. Very easy to take, and to handle single handed, with battens. We also have a massive 1, that handles 5 to 15 max, giving a cross over with th blade. We have a good 3, but don't use it much. For short handed, I choose the sail for th forcast wind, and the boat goes well.

Yes the 1 is a hassle to flake. I got a sail bag made so I can bag it while it is still hanked on. It's good enough for the main.

For getting a furler, don't forget the drum etc reduces the hoist height by 30 to 45 cm, meaning you existing 1 may not fit. Good furling sails have little tweaks to a standard sail, and they are more expensive because of that. If you do go for a furler, I would think there is benefit in getting a new sail purpose built.

There is a definite bonus in just rolling a sail away.

Another option for reducing sail short handed, is having a reef in your headsail. Booboo has just done this on the sun fast, there is a thread around somewhere. That sounds really interesting.

I must say got a fair bit of input from my questions.  I have made a decision not to furl at the moment.  I spoke to a sailmaker about converting a number 1 genoa, he said you would convert the number 2, a number one would be saggy and what not, like people are saying.  So I would have a number 2 max, dropping my speed in lighter winds.  And any partly furled sail will perform worse.

I think furler only good for a big boat where you cannot handle the sails and you wont notice much of a speed drop.  I think I will just have to get better at hanking in rough weather, or learn to read the weather better and make my sail choices better.  Money would definitely be better spent on an autopilot that wasn't built in the 80's, thing I have now is a real pain to get right. ha.

• Upvote 1