rigger recommendation

I have a single spreader masthead rig with fore and aft lowers, and its from 1975. Just re rigged it as it happens . Just sailed it back from Kawau on sunday too as it happens as well, it was a wee bit feral at times.

Can't say I've ever had any issue with  this oscillation thing ( have had the topping lift harmonic, you adjust it ), is it peculiar to Townsons? Or are the lowers slack?

I do remember Des telling me about one of his boats where the mast maker put the spreaders in a different place to the plans. That mast ended up being sleeved in the lower panel.( which is why I ask)

Thanks John B - despite the blowy end to the weekend, it was nice to be on the water, sailed up Saturday which was really nice, enough wind to get a lean on not enough to frighten the wife, which seems to be a key consideration these days. Sunday morning coming back was not so good for her indoors. Handed helm back with the understated assertion - "I don't like this".

The pumping of the mast as Wheels described it does not occur under sail, only at rest. I don't believe lowers are slack but again I guess that's something I will find out - how tight is tight. Romany and Nevenka were built by Tim Cant of Greenhithe - in that order, and NevenkaPete says he doesn't

get any mast pumping.

I know Romany was made a little bigger by the build owner (3 inches overall so I'd be surprised if that made any difference really) but because I don't have plans I am unsure if spreaders/lowers etc are where Des designed

them to be.

We reefed  right down for sunday and went slowly home  on ap most of the way. All was good until we started up at Devonport and  presumably picked up a bag or something .  So back up with a sail and my wife sailed her up the harbour while I stripped the strainer and raw water pump. Joy.

I think the guys above have pretty much nailed it for you regarding the basic tuning. I spent a lot of time with wooden masts and they kind of telegraph / exaggerate any issues .  Like a lot of things , there's no substitute for mk 1 eyeball .So  when sailed loaded on the wind in a breeze if you can go and look up the mast you'll soon see what isn't  right. From your description , I would be looking very hard at the forward lowers tension .

In column. No  S. no sharp bends, a fair/ progressive  sort of a slight curve aft on our type of rigs. Get the spreaders right and see that the masthead stays above them. ;-)

It'll be interesting to hear what your rigger says/ does.

rigart2.jpg

apply the same logic as the diagram to the lowers in the fore and aft dimension .

I'm wondering if it was Aorere II that had the sleeve in the mast? She was built tougher than most for the trip around NZ. The water rat 'll know.

Thanks John for that diagram.

I have often had a cursory glance at the mast under sail although admittedly not on Sunday, and have noticed a slight

deflection to leeward above the spreaders. Maybe a couple of inches maximum - I figured that's probably normal but maybe not..

Romany was built to go offshore and did do the Fiji return at least once. I spoke to the original owner - pretty sure his name was Jim Kingston - was an accountant from Titirangi. He was full of compliments for Mr Townson, reckoned he found Des at Half moon Bay one time looking Romany up and down,

scratching his head and eventually approached and asked what had been done differently to design.

Jim revealed the extra 3inches was added so he could have a slightly bigger lazarette locker and Des' response was that he knew something was

different (wrong is probably what he said...) but he just couldn't pick it.

I'll report back.

I'm sure it's very old logic now, but I did a lot of miles on a Townson in my early years.

The fastest set up was all 4 lowers were very tight with loose caps that you could almost skip on. We would also adjust the backstay to the conditions also, which would produce quite a lot of aft bend.