Solar setup

Hi Guys

Im after some advice on a solar setup for meister.

As we are on a mooring i wanting something to keep the batteries topped up and also something that will help boost the system while cruising so we are not having to run the engine all the time to top up the batteries.

What do you recomend?

TIA

Brendan

what elec loads do you want to run?  

for how long?

how big's your battery bank?

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_panel

my last boat, medium displacement, had 2 medium house batteries, a start battery, lots of electrics inc. fridge, big colour gps and i liked to play the stereo long + loud

50 watts solar seemed enough for 1 day of use a week without problems...plus using the engine put 65amps in from the alt.

current light displacement boat has 1 house battery, not so many elec loads, no fridge and was afraid to play the stereo loud for too long as one of the two 10watt flexi panels seemed always shaded so couldn't keep up with the loads.....also with only a small simple outboard no amps were added when motoring..... so added another 20watt of mobile panel (to place in the sun) when moored or anchored to basically run just the stereo

Hi guys

I have an 85AH house battery and crank, the freezer is compressor driven so only have instruments stereo and Led lights to run which is all new gear and has little draw.

From what you guys are saying is a 50W panel should do the trick as we have to run the engine for freezer anyway.

I have both what MB and KM mentioned for different purposes.

I have a 10W solar panel connected by two diodes to both batteries for top up while in the marina and a flexible 100W with MPPT controller that can be plugged in while I am away cruising.  The latter only ever charges the house battery.  For the flexible one I had a cover with an open front face made with battens for additional strength placed along the bottom.  The cover has loops in the corners so I can tie it down to the handrails and works a treat.  It gives me the flexibility to shift the panel to the boom if I am going to be at anchor for any extended period of time.

Whatever you choose I'd expect you will want to do the load & battery calculations.  I have a 125AH house battery and work on the theory of 30% working usage (50-80%).  The 100W panel will put out close to (or I suspect exceeds) 8A at peak sunbug time but more typically puts out less than half that; especially during winter.  This is plenty for me as I have a motor driven compressor freezer.

I'd go the 100w as they never work 100% and the controller just dumps any excess.

The Flexi panels look good but at $800 for a 100w approx / $8 per watt or $160 for 100w solid panel at $1.60 per watt

I've had a 60watt solid panel for 5 years on my last yacht and just split some small tubing to stop it marking the boat and a bungy on each corner, it stayed on the cabin top unless we were racing then in stayed in the car at the marina or for club racing we just put on a quarter berth.

I'd find it hard to justify the flexible ones but I think I paid probably close to the $800 for the 60w and controller back then so the flexible will drop in time but the thing is they are made only for the leisure industry.

http://www.aasolar.co.nz/Solar%20output%20chart.jpg

Update on our solar setup, best thing i have ever done. Dont have to run the engine at all for power, the 50w panel generates more than we use 90% of the time so only running the engine 10mins a day for the freezer!

Thanks for the update Brendan. I brought a 50watt solar panel on trade me real cheap a while ago ready to go for my next boat. Actually should have set it up for this Christmas on the sun fast but didn't think I would need it. Good to hear that 50w does enough.

Update on our solar setup, best thing i have ever done. Dont have to run the engine at all for power, the 50w panel generates more than we use 90% of the time so only running the engine 10mins a day for the freezer!

Everyone who cruises should have a solar setup for sure.  I'm the same, everything led, blast the stereo, and know the batteries wont be going flat.  Not that expensive, considering what some of the prices you pay for boat stuff.  Fridge is only thing have to worry about, but usually have to motor every so often for a bit, so only problem if fridge on for a few days without motoring.

^

if like vorpal blade

you plan ahead and freeze down some large blocks of ice in your home freezer

for using in your boat fridge

you won't even have to run the engine much to keep food cold over a weekend

Even better than freezing down simple water to create ice, make salted ice. For every 58g of salt added to a liter of water, your going to drop its freezing point around 1.8 degrees centigrade. Use your domestic freezer to freeze this down in a few old coke bottles or similar ( I put in 100g as its easy to mix ). Being that little bit colder, things stay more frozen for longer.

• Upvote 2