Kaikoura Wharf.

Guest shane

I think it is fair to say that most people here have concerns for Shane's safety. However unless you are his mother then no one can actually tell him what to do.

He also seems to be learning and advancing very quickly which is not surprising seeing as he is a full time sailor! I wish I could be pottering around with my yacht full time preparing for my next adventure!

I think the attitude of most people towards Shane is well balanced between concern and advice. It also seems that Shane is thinking about safety as in researching life rafts and asking for advice.

I also think if everyone ignored Shane and then a week later he parked his yacht on top of some rocks at Kaikoura then some people here may feel a lot worse than if they had shared the knowledge they have.

I for one think this site is a fantastic resource for sharing knowledge and if I ever met someone like Shane I would be suggesting this site to them. I have been blown away by the level of knowledge available here.

Shane, you sound like a top bloke. Learn from other people's mistakes as much as you can.. It is much less painful than learning from your own! You obviously don't have to rush so take your time.. There is plenty of good weather just around the corner.

NZL1, I believe you are either a retired recovering alcholic traffic cop who has recently given up smoking or a fictitious character created to wind every one up.

What knowledge has been shared with shane that will keep him off the rocks?... a chart, a free gps, .... nothing!

I would say that the only people supporting shane are indeed arm chair admirals.... until it turns to custard.... then you will be very silent.

Its one thing yo egg someone one it another ensuring hes is equipped and compedent to sail this route.

I notice the people who i believe would give good advice on this are saying nothing.

Black panther, Knotme, booboo, island time, etc are not fools. I would be interested in an opinion from them.

Yes you are wrong. Displaying good sound judgement would be to treat this as a offshore sail as opposed to a quick trip up the coast as you and others suggest.

How many offshore miles have you done?.

Sorry NZL1, I've never offered an opinion on this matter. In that regard you are wrong. That would appear to be a lack of attention to detail, which I also thought was required for Ocean Yacht Master. Your list of shortcomings will be as long as Shane's soon  ;-)

How many offshore miles have I done?

Based on your definition of what 'offshore' is, I'd say about 100,000 to 200,000.

I used to row a lot on a river as a school boy. I'm sure with just the right wind and tide you could liken that river to the Southern Ocean.

But in seriousness, I don't actually know how many miles I've done. Its not something I use to define my being.

PS, If you need any assistance with spelling and grammar (or maybe just proof reading) of your posts, please do let us know.

Oh dear !Now I'm being blamed ? Let me tell you good people there's nothing wrong with being an armchairadmiral. No cold dark scary nights in big seas .No falling off waves, and you can have a hot roast dinner ,hot shower and a warm steady bed. Wish I'd had someone like NZL1 to alert me to the error of my ways when I started sailing. Might have taken up stamp collecting instead ! And I've survived all manner of experiences with not even a day skippers license. But out there doing it seemed OK.

• Upvote 1

I have no opinion, as I said I don't know Shane and haven't seen his boat. But a young fella having an adventure sounds good to me.

On the fence there BP. I have NO issue with Shane doing what he wants. But i do have issues with people offering snippets of info instead of some reality to the outcomes of poor decisions. I am just putting the other side across so shane get a real perspective rather than a skewed perspective AKA cheerleading.

I too did some crazy things in my youth. Far more dangetous than This trip. But that was then!... when there were less rules and more people to talk to in peron on the boat.

What has changed now is the Accountability and the way media and the WWW report these thing when it goes wrong. Remeber a lot of the rules we have know are because people like Shane, and us all, flaunted the rules and this resulted in tighter regulation and less freedom.

If Shane end up in trouble the modern media will ruin him and could destroy any confidence he has gained.

I am not stopping shane! But you guys are flagrantly making it sound like a picnic!

As for all the personal attacks on me by theclikes of fish and Co. Well i hope you have wanrning points to the same level as i for your obnoxious and some what " off topic" comments. But i suspect not based on the continued personal and inaccurate attack that go unpunished.

And FYI Fish, my spelling and grammer is the result of posting via a phone, on my yacht, and a rather overzealous spell checker, than any issue with my ability. What's t your excuse for you petty mindeness and insecurity?

Finally, Shane has been posting here and sailing for a short time. He has shown a level of poor sewmanship and little knowledge or competent sailing ability. ( That is not a communication issue) his sailing experience to date is sailing the Coromandel, inshore, in a TY, for a few weeks then suddenly he has popped up in the South Island.

He has issue with rigging, marina managers, his motor, sail, and is seeking advice via the WWW because he has had issues with the locals.

You cheerleaders are all caught up in the " what an adventure" "go for it" mentality with no responsibility for potential outcomes.

So why dont you cheerleaders put your money where your mouth is and get down there and sail to the sounds with Shane. Come on!... step up and back your support with some action.

What would be your preferred outcome here NZL1? Confiscate his boat? Drag Shane away in a straight jacket for daring to contemplate having an adventure?

If Shane finds himself in a bad situation it will be his own doing and he will be responsible.. Not anyone on this site.

thats chilish!... read my posts!

Just ensure he has the right advice, boat, skill level, saftey equipment, etc that we all have when we venture on such trips!... but shane!...get this advice from a professional or well regarded yachtsman in person and not from a bunch of unqualified, unidentified, people on a forum.... who offer very little good info and are basically cheerleaders for this guys " adventure"

Thats my last comment on this. I wish him allthe luck under the sun and hope he makes it.

I can sleep well knowing my position on this.

Time will tell.

What has changed now is the Accountability and the way media and the WWW report these thing when it goes wrong.

:?: Who gives a hoot about that. Haven't we all just read a News article about a boat that has sat on the sand in Tga and scoffed at the sillyness of the report?

If Shane end up in trouble the modern media will ruin him and could destroy any confidence he has gained.

No need. I think you are doing a pretty good job at it all on your own.

I am not stopping shane! But you guys are flagrantly making it sound like a picnic!

Ummm, actually yes you are and if you go back to the first few posts, you will see that I and I am pretty sure several others have warned him of the things to watch out for.

NZL, I don't know if you have done this piece of coast yourself, but it is possibly the easiest piece of NZ coast to sail.

My 3 year old can act more maturely than some around here!.

Shane is free to do as he pleases. Hopefully he has listened to those who have told him not to try going into Kaikoura. Specially with more recent events effectively turning that area into an uncharted area. 

He has to learn somewhere. As Wheels said, its not the unforgiving coast that some can be ( and hopefully Shane realizes that the coasts anywhere, at any time, can be totally unforgiving and treacherous ).

He pottered around the Hauraki Gulf and the Coromandel Peninsula by the looks of his prior posts, probably time to venture a little further outside the comfort zone. 

I will agree that his way of communicating can be very difficult to follow - erratic, leaving many questions unanswered and his spelling, punctuation and grammar lead one to the conclusion that education was not one of his strengths. I will also agree that he appears to sometimes leave a little bit of the story out - but I believe that many of us are prone to doing that from time to time.

Give him encouragement and if you feel strongly enough, maybe invest a little of your time directly teaching him as opposed to tearing strips off others online. Not overly productive and not something you would do should you not be hiding behind an anonymous handle.

I remember Wheels learning things on here. Not many ever gave him stick. Most were quite supportive of him. How is Shane that much different?

I remember Wheels learning things on here. Not many ever gave him stick. Most were quite supportive of him.

Yep, and as we took on new challenges and often getting a good butt kicking, we learned and gained confidence. Situations that scared the crap out of us at the time years ago, are just a passage we are happy to take on as a normal sail now. We still have a long way to go to get to the experience of many here, but frankly, Sailing is kind of one of those things were you have to actually experience a situation to become "experienced".

Wheels, as i understand it you were alot more older, wiser, and experienced, when you sailed north then south.

Shane is how old.

There is a lot if difference between a 50 year old and a twenty year old.

There is also a difference between solo and teo up.

And your boat is a lot different to shanes.

You guys are comparing apples with bricks.

One guy i consider is a real expert on this stuff, is Andrew Fagan. he sails long distances solo on "Swirly world in perpetuity" solo. I know how he approaches these trips and he was doing this with years of dingy racing under his belt before he brought SWIP.

There is a difference between shanes approach and Andrews.

... also wheels. You had more resources, more money, and a great technical aptitude when you sailed to Auckland.

Shane has none of this.

Money buy reliabilty, security, saftey, etc

It's called a Boat. Bring Out Another Thousand, for a reason.

What visualize, say, and want at the age of 60 is A LOT DIFFERENT to 20.

Shanes life is in front of him. You may be looking in the rear window too much, saying " if only"

Yep NZL, I give you that re our differences in boats and crew. But we took on a very different Coast. I would also be telling shane to learn a lot more or get experienced crew, before tackling that Coast. Honestly, if Shane heads out in a light Southerly, he could damn near do this in a bathtub and just drift all the way. The biggest danger would be Whales.

• Upvote 1

I reckon he'll be just fine, and if you think about it life is for living. This weekend I will be visiting the old folks home which is sadly pretty much a warehouse where younger people put the oldies so life in the 'burbs can continue without having to look after them. Much rather die getting smashed to bits on a lonely grey sea doing the thing I love than sucking porridge through a straw.

Probably one of the bests posts I have ever read on here.

• Upvote 2

And yet you are a cheerleader for Andrew Fagan? He circumnavigated NZ including the Auckland islands with an unreliable auxiliary that had a blown head gasket that filled the cabin with toxic fumes and was only capable of pushing his boat at a couple of knots.

He also left the mainland for the Auckland islands with a broken inner shroud that he replaced with rope.

Im fairly sure he would also be the first to tell you that he was fiscally challenged.

? When you read my post do you understand them???...

Again you miss the point! The point i was making re Andrew Fagan is....

Before he took those trips he had over thirty years experience. His skill and experince allows him to deal with the issues every boat has!

Shans has very little experience. And a dodgy boat and....

Sabre, read my posts in thier entirety, and in context, and understand them. Stop picking paragraphs and useing them to post a argument

• Downvote 2

Yep NZL, I give you that re our differences in boats and crew. But we took on a very different Coast. I would also be telling shane to learn a lot more or get experienced crew, before tackling that Coast. Honestly, if Shane heads out in a light Southerly, he could damn near do this in a bathtub and just drift all the way. The biggest danger would be Whales.

One word wheels....IF.

What if he hits a southerly or southeast gale and struggles to kerp of the coast. Or a westerly gale that blows him east.

How capable is shane and his boat upwind?

And i forgot about whales!... these are all promblematic for good sailors. Shane is no a good sailor. He is a novice.

• Downvote 5