Tauranga grounding

Hardly a news item. Shallow water all over the place in there.
Basically, a guy took his boat for a sail, hit some sand, he waited till the tide was high enough to float him off and away he went home. Slow news day obviously.

• Upvote 1

This non story epitomises the state of modern media. Emergency services advised ? Amazing there wasn't an Orion sent out. If this is the standard of modern journalism Trump will be a fantastic President, the sun revolves around the flat earth and Israel becomes part of Palestine ! Bahhhhhhh humbug

I agree Admiral.

It's like yesterday's story in stuff  about some sail boats in Evans Bay (Wellington) that capsized as a squall went through. A small fleet of 420 dinghys actually practicing.

420s capsize all the time and are quite tippy little boats.

So I guess we can expect a report in the media from now on whenever a dinghy capsizes.

Complete non news. 

There are two sorts of sailboats - those that have run aground, and 

those that have not yet run aground. 

That isn't very optimistic, I hope I never run aground.

I hear that what you notice first with sandbanks is  a washing off of speed , and then a slightly dirty trail behind you , and then a  pirouette as you try to tack away ...you spin on your keel ,sort  of standing up just a few inches above your normal waterline, hoping like hell you can get her onto the other tack..... 

All  anecdotal/ hypothetically of course.

Actually JohnB with all the recent major dredging that has been done in the harbour the edges of the channel are like cliffs, so rather than a gradual slow down there is a abrupt halt to progress and all of a sudden any crew you have will attempt to headbutt any hard surfaces that they are nearby. Once you have gathered up all the loose teeth you then attempt to lean the boat over and motor off. 

Well, as it happens, I  barged into a Wed evening race in Tauranga with the wonderful folks at the TYC not long ago, on a flood tide . . 

And between tacks our intrepid crew had great fun watching much of the rest of the fleet go aground - guess they misjudged the degree of flood. 

As a lake sailor (mostly) the most interesting part was when we were sailing on a nice lift out of the bay, and the setting sun cast a shadow of our sails on the side of the Mount - and that shadow was moving backwards . . 

Thank you for helping me to remember . . . 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hera.org.nz%2FImage%3FAction%3DView%26Image_id%3D3281&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hera.org.nz%2FCompany%3FAction%3DProfile%26Company_id%3D6393&docid=mPGWhcENYVGvKM&tbnid=gruzsVWfdR8QiM%3A&vet=1&w=584&h=276&bih=638&biw=1366&q=tauranga%20nz&ved=0ahUKEwjc_ciCofrQAhVCCsAKHU4hCGQQMwgiKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8

John B, on 13 Dec 2016 - 5:18 PM, said:

That isn't very optimistic, I hope I never run aground.

I hear that what you notice first with sandbanks is  a washing off of speed , and then a slightly dirty trail behind you , and then a  pirouette as you try to tack away ...you spin on your keel ,sort  of standing up just a few inches above your normal waterline, hoping like hell you can get her onto the other tack..... 

All  anecdotal/ hypothetically of course.