The B&G Simrad 100 Thread

It was a tad windy (Bean reading 52 as we went past but we had more a couple of times) and wet, couldn't see anything looking forward a few times, very much just aim and hope no lumps were in there somewhere. But still a nice bimble though and got me out of housework.

Zero drama bar the closed forward hatch was on 'closed but still can vent' rather than close watertight. 70lts bailed out later. Never spilled a drop of beer or rum :thumbup:

We were a bit surprised to see just how f**king stupid some people are though. The level of stupidity and/or lack of situational awareness by a few boats was unbelievable in it's largeness.

Better now go see just how last we came I suppose. Na, I'm sure I'll be told :D

quarter pint...eventless....nearly sailed into the cockpit of revolution after sitting in, then leaping out of their hole. waved keel and rudder in air browns side of bean rock after a bad tack, had to ditch headsail to come back up even with flapping sails...proceded to be first 727 over the line carrying reefed main only. close to mumbo a few times but managed to do something to finish ahead of them. they were still holding no.3 and reefed main...no.4 and reefed main was too much for us. clearly their big balls didnt pay off. elly and norseman beat us over the line. shot.

was gusting 52 when we passed bean, average 38 but the gusts were there for a really long time. i couldnt lean out any futher and the keel was spitting air out the bottom. those trackers go good in the heavy. they weigh about 1000kg more than us.

think taiping just couldnt motor into 50 knots with an outboard on 1 hull so proceded to sail home.

think taiping just couldnt motor into 50 knots with an outboard on 1 hull so proceded to sail home.

I gather that taipings petrol tank washed off the back of the boat and broke the connecting fittings so they had to reach back and forward across the harbour for a few hours while they waited for coastguard to come tow them in.

good work on all the boats that competed and finished, a real boat tester that one !

Congratulations to Cameron and SSANZ for having the vision and guts to put in place an infrastructure and plan to put on a race in todays conditions!!

Round the cans, coastal, offshore racing and cruising just got a bit more safer for those who made the effort to race today as no sane person would normally leave the dock in those conditions for anything but a race.

SSANZ you gave an opportunity for many to sup deeply form the well of achievement...

Hats off to you!!!

Interesting to see those wind readings, was definitely up there and tipping the scales. No damage on Norseman, we had a good race with Elly, and had a nice ride with the gennaker down the Rangitoto shore to Issy Red. That was before it started going into the 40kn range! Pretty full on beat up the bays. Quarterpint you looked more comfortable with just the main up by Bean Rock, the beauty of a fractional rig.

Thefinish line made for some interesting choices, we made a good gain by finishing close to the wharf but then had to short tack up the wall to stay on the finish side of the line. Got all tacks away but it could easily go pear shaped quickly in that stuff.

The results were up quick but they don't seem to have the right elapsed time.

much easier to tack without the headsail too. just had to dip, build speed then spin fast. headsail wouldnt let us do that very easily even in the 30-40 knot stuff. short steep waves didnt help us at all. up under rangi on the wind with the 4 and a reef we were stonking along. passed that stewart 34 and stayed ahead untill it got lumpy and more windy. our rig was bending and twisting like iv never seen before. eased main on the reach the main was pushing rather hard on the spreader

Very bad day for us. 500m from the finish and the mast just folded up. May have lost the forestay first at the hounds as the jib ended up under the opposite side to everything else. Don't know, couldn't see. Had to cut it all away while anchored off the reef but it was tricky as some of the rig got around the keel and held us side on and it was pretty choppy. Lots of damage, staunchions, all the running rigging cut off, even smashed a window on the windward side??? CG helped, they were good guys. This after vowing never to be rescued. Would have been ok if we didn't get a rope round the prop to top it all off. Sails were quite new so that's a nuisance.They were certainly challenging conditions but I was surprised that not one boat was game enough to hoist a little kite on the run to the Haystack. It actually showed pretty good seamanship. It's easy to be over gung ho and get yourself into trouble. I'm glad we did the short course, I was dreading the Colville Channel. Losing a mast there would have been a lot more drama. Well done again SSANZ, it's been a funny year.

Commiserations Zen, that last section from Bean to finish was a swine - worst part of the race. Some Elapsed times seem to be sorted but Lionmark seems to have acquired an extra 20 mins elapsed time... possibly a subtle HTFU for changing divisions, but I couldn't face another trip round little barrier with the dingy on the bow...

I knew it was going to be an interesting day when we approached the start line at 12kts while still getting the headsail up. We came into the start area from the course side at the wharf end. We went close to the piles and then tacked back and headed along the line so we just had to bear away when we heard the gun, this worked pretty well. We started with 1 reef and the #3 which is the smallest sail we have before going to the storm jib. It worked OK but by half way to Navy buoy the wind had picked up and we probably would have been better off with 2 reefs. We only wanted 1 reef in the main for the next leg so we persevered and just had to let the main go in the big gusts which was fine until one big flog spat out the third batten.

We rounded navy buoy but didn't gybe straight away because there was a healthy 32kt gust coming though at the time and it looked like it would be a bit tight if we went straight away anyway. We were sitting behind Future Feedback (still with full main!) and waiting for them to gybe which they did and snapped the boom in the process. Time to be humble, so we tacked around and then headed for haystack and started to catch the boats in front. Had a few really good surfs (top speed 17.5kts in a 38kt gust) which got us back up to Perchanse and not far behind Mr Roosevelt and Prawn Broker. Tightened up at haystack and headed for Motuhie on an easy broad reach.

On the wind from Motuhie and a short tack to change car position on the front tracks. The little #3 nicely in the groove and pulling 7.5-8kts at 45degrees true in a steady 30kts of puff. The main wasn't doing much at this point and I was really wishing that we had reefed earlier. What's the rule? If you think you need to reef you should have done it already? Well we hadn't. Next tack and a 40kt gust...bang. There goes the reef line. A clean break straight through. Yes KM this is the same reef line that I didn't like the look of and was going to replace on friday but didn't have time &$#!@#.... and then the trouble started.....

We eased the main halyard and pulled in the second reef line (which I did manage to run on friday) Matt went forward to drop the slides out of the mast which required a screw driver and is a pain in the ass and something that will be changed very soon. But the main won't come down... wind in the #2 reef line and the main starts to drop. Matt still wrestling to get the reef point onto the horns. Another 40+kt gust and the main sail starts to shred itself. Remember that batten that got spat out? Well now the leech has completely ripped of 1-2m either side of where that batten is supposed to be. I made the call to drop the main completely and call it a day. Only problem was that the slug which stops all the mast slides coming out wasn't back in properly and the wind soon sucked out enough slides to get the bottom of the main in the piss, it filled with water and three stanchions simultaneously shredded the rest of the main. The main was old and starting to delaminate in places but I had hoped to get another season out of it but that's not gonna happen now its well buggered.

Didn't want to start the engine until we were sure that everything was clear of the water. Wrestled the headsail down and got the remains of the main back on board and then started the donkey. Fineline has a 50hp engine in it so we could still make good speed into the chop... for 5mins anyway. Then the revs would drop everytime we went over a wave and then they just wouldn't come back above 1500rpm. More throttle would result in less revs so I pulled back a bit and tried to settle into 2-3kts into the slop. I took a wide berth around Browns Is just incase the donk died completely as I was a bit concerned about the lee-shore. Wind back into the 40s and we couldn't even make 1kt. I assume its some sort of fuel pickup problem or contamination, not much we could do about either so I had a chat with the Coastguard. They asked us to keep making or own way as best we could but had the "Hauraki Hilton" out to us before too long. A long tow back to Westhaven, the engine died completely on the way but I got it started again and it seemed to run ok in flatwater so we managed to get Fineline back into her berth with the good folks from Coastguard and Cameron from SSANZ standing by just in case. Big thanks to you all!

The main is in the bin at Westhaven so I'm going to have to drag out the cruising main for the next wee while. Two people have already told me how to go about setting up the reefing system so that the slides don't have to be removed from the mast but some mods will be required. I wish I'd know about this earlier, if Fineline had a better system for reefing we probably would have reefed on the way navy buoy and I'd still have a race main. Lots learned all round.

Commiserations to Zen and Rebel Yell for losing your rigs and Future Feedback for your boom. I hope you are all back in action soon.

Elly done good.. well done guys. The 727 was just too light with only two on board in those conditions and we were often just getting blown sideways... even without falling over!

Still great to finish and not have broken the boat..poor old thing its taken a beating for a while now.

Next week Gold Cup.. say it every year..any small boats going to join us?

Very bad day for us. 500m from the finish and the mast just folded up.

500mts to run = serious gutted.

Commiserations and to Bob on Rebel Yell, whose rig isn't that old either.

Hard case watching the 3 gennys go up on the reach to haystack. Looked quick bar the lack of height. Mercenary popped a biggish one and took off like a 18fter :thumbup: One 88 popped a kite which then promptly tried to rip the rig out, we were impressed with the ballsie call though, it was quite tight to be flying a kite.

Which grey multi had a dude up the rig 1/2 between Moto and Browns? Headsail retrieval mission which looked well done, quick and efficient. A bonus being a multi on a day like that I think. Nice work guys.

At the same time we spotted something in the water just behind them and it turned out to be 2 dudes. We thought something had gone horribly wrong and a boat gone down so changed course to help..... only to find 2 frecking dicks in kayaks.

Weird results in our Div with the change in the weather. The usual front boats at the back of the fleet and we weren't last. Gawd knows how that happened, we were DFL of the SH fleet (bar a few 88's) at Haystack. We bare headed from Rangi to Haystack while I cooled down after wanting to jump onto another boat and punch the skippers lights out. And even weirder, we finally managed to beat our PHRF Rating, 1st time in 4 years. Top speed only 14.4 but that was under fully reefed main only.

SSANZ team made a magnificent call both in starting and course choice. I think if we had done C2 there would have been a lot more drama. For most getting that experience in yesterday can only be bloody good and as a few will have found out, very enlightening. It was pretty obvious that was an eye opener for one or 2.

Big Thanks from us to the SSANZ team, again your efforts are very much appreciated :thumbup:

:thumbup: thanks to ssanz from nijinsky, good call on the course nice racing in the y88 fleet, got to hand it to sweeny todd, they kept us honest and made it a race for us- thanks vaughan and royce.

got the no2 kite up round the back, nice ride untill the downhaul broke proceeding into a right upending. dont know how fast we were going at the time but it was wicked fun, definatly cracked through 14knots, and no damage.

series win thanks to luca and craig.

more later

Another SSANZ winter series to put in the book of memories. From drifting conditions in races 1 and 2 to 30+ knots with gusts over 40 for race three.

Well done to the SSANZ Team for having the heavy weather option recently added to the sailing instructions and using it for race 3. If they had not used it with one of the biggest storms forecasted when would they have used it?

Racing two handed is always a challenge and combined with heavy weather conditions significantly increases ‘the risk’ factor for things to go wrong. Boat preparation, maintenance, reefing systems etc plus seamanship skills all come to the fore at this time. This includes leaving plenty of sea room in the unforeseen event of a round up when in close quarters with other boats.

We started with the No3 and 1st reef then put the 2nd reef in behind Browns Island. Still had plenty of sail, especially in the rain squall as we approached the finishing line. As if we need another reminder that Mother Nature was in charge.

Congratulations to Mike Wilde and crew on Aquiline being the first Farr 1020 home and giving us all a lesson in heavy weather sailing.

Looks like the new mainsail I have just had made will be put into service earlier than expected with the old one ripping from leach to luff after we had finished.

Once again thanks to the SSANZ team for their efforts.

Mike

Share Delight

I was somewhat surprised (but impressed) to see the RNZYS youth scheme boats out training today. Saw a few wicked wipeouts but reckon they would have had a few awesome rides. So if anyone is looking for crew it looks like RNZYS will be a good source for future B&G Simrad crews !

Archived