Another ridiculous lifejacket article

I'm happy with the law. I wear an inflatable life jacket when I row the dinghy out to the boat and back. On some days it's totally necessary, on others it isn't, but I do it because it's a good habit.

Safety is habit. I do tasks exactly the same way all the time, even if it takes a bit longer. I enjoy the zen of it - it's part of being on the water. When you’re tired and in trouble, your brain will do the task you’ve trained it for. I've seen people paralyzed with indecision in emergency situations - not a pleasant sight.

I watched a couple of young people head out for a romantic tootle in their rib the other evening - beers in hand, no oars, no lifejackets, wind was picking up and darkness was closing. I didn't say a word, but if I'd been a warranted officer I would have been happy to educate them for their own safety and for the good of the community and their families.

The safety culture in NZ needs to change. I've seen different safety cultures around the world and I'm afraid the attitude in NZ ranks low on the scale.

I find the view that 'oh it might just a couple of deaths a year and you can't prove it so let's not worry too much' abhorrent.

If you want more info about the stats get in touch with Wendy.

Then you opinion and mine are not so different Kevin. Would you wear a life jacket while sleeping at night in a calm bay on a 40' yacht in good condition? I'm going to assume the answer will be no. Neither would I. I would not like to see a law that said you must wear a life jacket at all times while on a boat. I worry about how a law would distinguish between a scenario like this, and one where a lifejacket is necessary. The best way I can think of is to have it the skippers responsibility to decide, which is the law now. Do we actually agree that skipper responsibility is the best way to handle this decision? Possibly some skippers require more education to identify risky scenarios? Scenarios that could be identified by proper analysis of drownings?

I find the view that 'oh it might just a couple of deaths a year and you can't prove it so let's not worry too much' abhorrent.

If you want more info about the stats get in touch with Wendy.

I find your 'i know best' attitude abhorrent. I worry people who make laws think like you and will do their best to ruin our freedom and self responsibility.

Smart people wear lifejackets when they feel conditions warrant it. Idiots will never do it, regardless of the law.

Just a side note I thought interesting ...

The contact for the lj research has an email @PRdept.

PR? Is that what this is? I thought it was BS.

Any laws should be written in plain English by people who have subject knowledge, not a silly job title.

But Kevin i do make safety a habit/priority. But I don't want to carry a LJ in my dinghy when I go ashore (see above).

Here's a fun exercise, read this and see how many times you can count the word boat

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/about/people/chief-executive.asp

Its a slow day so .. and I know this brings nothing to the topic BUT - I found them...

Keith... brings extensive leadership experience in a number of policy and operational

and

Gambling and Censorship Compliance and Enforcement

You were right it was fun.

Thank you.

yup. and bored with it.

Its bollocks that a thinking human being should need to be told when to look after themselves. Commercially a different story - unfortunately

regulations are required because in the pursuit of money things get 'forgotten', but if I want to go sailing on my own and not wear a life jacket or

not clip on, or just generally risk it all - as long as no one else is put in jeopardy - then leave me be.

I've always looked at the boom as my mortal enemy. Maybe Keith (nothing personal there bro but you did take the job on) and his mates could make us

all wear helmets too. Oh and gloves so we don't get rope burns or ...

Shoot me now.

Based on all those  statistics it's high time all these do gooders (busybodys) started a campaign for compulsory crash helmets in cars. It's a guarantee to save more lives in one year than compulsory lifejackets would save in 100 years. Imagine the acceptance of that ! Women's hair do's upset and that would just be the start of the howls of outrage . When you think about it therefore is it the preservation of life these DG'rs are on about or just building their empire ?   ...You're right !

So anyone know what the details around the actual fines are going to be? All I can work out so far is that Im going to be infringing some sort of law the moment I step on my boat, in the water, without a lifejacket. For the duration of five undisclosed days, of course. Shouldnt the specifics of these sorts of """laws""" be declared somewhere?

Doesn't seem too harsh to me - speeding is a big problem in the Sounds, and the requirement is only to carry the life jackets. Mind you, I'd be a bit pissed if I got a ticket for not having a lifey in the dinghy while rowing the stern line 10m to the shore.

Because ,like crash helmets in cars,there would be a huge public uproar.Plus getting ID for the ticket in the surf,river,water would be problematic and difficult. Nope,the more that's written about the LJ Nazis the more it becomes apparent it's another revenue stream for Councils. ! And oh so easy too.

Probably right mate. 

To be fair to the Waka Ama groups, I have seen the big crews out in pretty nasty weather, and all wearing pfd's. but the  remaining 90+% of the time they feel they don't need them. Skippers (and individuals) responsibility works for them, I guess.

I have never seen the waikato fleet here (well, over the river) out training, but I'll keep an eye out to check for pfd's when I see them.

'tis true, they are frig'n long! 

Can someone straighten out this bag of snakes?? Are the rules completely different  in different regions, or much of a muchness?

I thought it was mandatory to wear a pfd in any vessel under 6m unless the skipper explicitly states otherwise? Is that now different in each area? I know Auckland has it's own policies, but other areas?

Nope - because most of the wakas you are talking about are longer that 6m!

Yep, but my point was that when the skippers/coaches think they're necessary they get worn.

Which would indicate to me that they use common sense.

With that in mind, I wonder if any of the overloaded dinghy statistics include waka ama paddlers? I would very much doubt it.