Another ridiculous lifejacket article

The other week a bunch of folks from work had a go with several different Inflatable Life jackets - I think there were about 10 Life jackets tested - 4 types, 2 of 275N and 2 of 150N

First one I tried was my old work one - about +10years old and 18months since last serviced - a 275N one

- inflated gently and rolled me onto my back head clear of water, easy to breath, no crotch strap

Second one was a 150N jacket - failed to roll me onto my back, if unconscious I would have drowned. No crotch strap, once on my back the jacket just did not feel as comfortable as the 275N one.

In every case where the wearer was wearing wet weather gear the 150N units failed to roll the wearer onto their back

One of the guys tested a jacket with it fitted loosely - end result was that wearing the jacket loosely meant you would die - the jacket would drown you unless you could make it tighter.

Tried putting a 275N inflated jacket on in the water - easy enough in the pool but would be much harder with a bit of chop.

- crotch strap made little difference with the 275N jacket as it inflated - in a chop it may well do.

- excess buoyancy in clothing, boots, wet weather gear may turn a 150N life jacket into a death jacket

- falling head first into the water with wet weather gear on increases the risk of you wearing a death jacket

- a poorly fitted inflatable Life jacket = death jacket - well you might as well wear a weight belt.

- lights were fitted incorrectly on nearly every jacket we tested and some had not been armed by the supplier.

- Could not fit the spray hood in the water - need to practice that.

My current jacket is 275N (with crotch strap that I use) but I am looking for a replacement that is easier to adjust as once in the water it is very hard / impossible to adjust.

My 2cents worth....

• Upvote 1

I only get the life jackets out in fowl weather , but I always have a inflatable collar in the cockpit when I go up on for deck they are to much of a hindrance operating the boat , but if you keep in mind that I think your be ok on long trips alone I have the collar on . Yes we all could go over the side ,any time , but we don't like blue coat weekend worriers dictating to us

Slightly off topic. most have a boarding ladder attached to the stern?mine is a fold down one and discovered how completely useless its is.Been mounted there for over 30yrs.The problem being last rung out of water,need to swing one foot on to rung and have a rope hanging down so you can pull yourself up.It is going to  get adjusted this week.

have a rope hanging down so you can pull yourself up.It is going to  get adjusted this week.

Measure distance to prop first. Make it a shorter line than that distance :thumbup:  and tie or splice a loop bigger than your sea boot size in it (so u can get your foot in it easily)

• Upvote 3

Only news in this pc world. Didn't we all make rafts, tin kayaks, have fallen out of boats, got wet, muddy, had fun, sometimes hurt ourselves. 

Probably find the raft was in waist deep water, all were swimmers and no real drama - but the news has made it so.

• Upvote 1

The issue isn't the raft, the issue is that too many cannot swim these days. Which may or may not have been the case in this particular raft situation. As a kid, we would make rafts not a heck of a lot better than the one in the article. If it sank or took some effort to stay on it, that was all part of the fun. You got wet, you swam around, you got back on or swam to shore. This is all getting silly. Too silly for words. In fact, here on Blenheim, a Local Radio Station has an annual Taylor River raft race. You make a raft and enter and after lots of fun and throwing eggs and flour and scuppering your opposition, the first over the line wins. I hope no one rocks the safety regs to cause yet another fun event to be canned.

The other article re the Francie, just how is tightening up on the Maritime laws going to stop that event happening again. It had nothing to do with a Law, but simply a lack of common sense from an experienced commercial skipper. The only way such an event could ever be stopped would be to have someone Police the Bar and have the ability to Open/Close it. Hardly worth the expense for such a rare event that may never happen again on the Kaipara. And in saying that, several Bars in the Country are indeed controlled by a Harbour Master and can be closed if needed. I know of one such Bar that was closed while the Fishing boats were out off the West Coast of this well known harbour. They came back in and were told by the, at that time newly appointed Harbour Master, the Bar was closed and they could not cross. Taking no notice, they all came in and then went to see the Harbour Master and it was no "lets buy you a drink" kind of group that turned up. Lets just say, they now have an "understanding".

Saving lives means you're a kill joy? Nice piece of logic.

Yes. Less idiots in the world means more space and time for my joy. Trying to save idiots kills my joy for sure.

(Note, Not about the raft, just general comment disagreeing with kevin)

"Wheels" made a statement at the start of his post 

The issue isn't the raft, the issue is that too many cannot swim these days. Which may or may not have been the case in this particular raft situation

Now that is a problem as I was a cub leader at the time(3yrs ago)and presumed all the cubs could swim,had asked as well and "yes we can swim" They were dong their swimmers badge and got them all to jump in,yep 3 sank like stones,so after that presumption went out the window.

Saving lives means you're a kill joy? Nice piece of logic.

It wasn't stated. Kevin (and anyone else that likes to draw the really long bow) before you make another post look up Logical Fallacy and check against your post(s) PLEEEEZE!

Any of you P C lifejacket brigade read Riggers lifejacket post ?. Those raft races are great.Lifejackets are not necessary if you can swim and if you can't,go in the race and drown.....well..... People don't have to be protected all the time. Read my byline ! Sabre and GW are right on. Everywhere now it seems that the P C brigade want's a rule or regulation for every human experience. If you are like that then suggestion is apply your own rules to yourself and leave the rest of us alone !

• Upvote 1