Missing Cat, Dad and little Daughter

From the photo in the Herald it looks like a Wharram Tiki 21.

It's what I thought too. Pretty definite it's a Wharram, but I don't know them well enough to say it is a Tiki. But it it certainly 21ft.

I really don't want this becoming another thread like the lifejacket one. But here's my thoughts anyway.

The article says he is experienced.

I do think a trip like that requires a VHF at the least. He may have had one.

Cell Ph a close second, but I have no clue what reception is like up that way, so I would never rely on a Cllph.

EPIRB would be a good call, but it's one of those things of, you use it after the event. I don't have one. I feel happy enough we can make use the VHF in an emergency or get into the Inflatable if we are in the proverbial smelly stuff. It is nice to have, but lets face it, if he set one off, he is in big "I need help right now" kind of trouble, which I don't believe and EPIRB gives you. Please correct me if i am wrong on that.

A Harbourmaster has commented about the boat being a bit small. Maybe it is the way the article reported it, but silly silly comment. My Great Great Grandfather came to NZ in 4 Kerosene tins tied together, so my Grandfather told me when I was a Kid. And so if my G G Grandad can sail 4 tins, then a 21ft vessel is no problem ;-). Or said another way, there have been far smaller boats sailed further by other experienced seaman with no problems. It's not the size that counts.

I'd do that trip in my cherry, but surely wouldn't take my kids!

Oh, and yes I'd be wearing my pfd, just so I had a better chance of swimming ashore if I fell off.

Could it make safety cat? probably not, is it unsafe? Only if I mess up.

Not sure I'd want to do it in a small cat with a non standard rig tho. The standard gaff rig is only like ten feet above the deck!

Wheels i agree with you on most of your posts but have to pull you up on slamming Wharrams they are very seaworthy craft and I would be proud to own one.A Tiki 21 did a circumnavigation years ago.A well built one is a great machine a bit like ferros some well built some not so.

Hehe, I was told fishing was great at the mo. I was just looking for a nibble Wild Violet. You bit real hard. :thumbup:
Mate (as you know) I own a Ferro so I really don't give a hoot what anyone wants to sail. I would rather someone loving sailing a block of Polystyrene and be out there doing it. And I think that goes for most of us here, simply because we all complain when we see that sense of freedom being eroded away from us.

Heading north from kawhia there are quite a few "harbours" on the way up. you could easily hop between them, making fairly short day sails between each one. With good planning I'd think it would be a pretty safe trip, and would take at least 9 days! Most six year olds don't want to sail for ages non stop, but love exploring! 

An interesting tangent to this story has taken place today. The Mother, whom is from Nelson but is currently in Switzerland, has hired an Ozy dude that specializes in Child Recovery. Apparently, this is the second time she has hired this Guy and apparently, the Father has skipped off with Daughter once before.

It's a bit confusing from the news article, but it says that Langdons Parents live in Kawhia. But the Womans name, at the place he was living at for 5 months, is Smith. So I am not sure if that is his Mother, or if that is some other person he stayed with. Anyway, there is a comment in the news article that Langdon wouldn't tell Smith where he was actually going. Apparently that is the norm for this Langdon guy.
Which all sounds a bit strange and when you sum both parts above all together, well it does open up an interesting possible angle to this eh. Especially seeing as nothing can be found of the boat so far.

hiding? by faking death at sea

Possible, or he hasn't thought that through properly and has just decided to just do the hide part, not realising that he has triggered a search. And also it would be next to impossible to hide in such a small Country.

Or could this be possible? would he sail something like that across the Tasman to Oz?? If he is a really capable Sailor...would that be nuts?

Not nice. Everyone is woried about them. That makes more sense, he has gone bush and used the boat story as a decoy.

Its been blowing westerleys every day in Auckland. I can't imagine this small cat going upwind through the bar very well, it would have been blown ashore by now and found by the spotter plane.

If he has made it to the BOI someone would have seen him. This time of year there are boats everywhere in BOI exploring every nook and cranny.

Waikato police are looking into the possibility that missing yachtie Alan Langdon has purposely disappeared with his daughter.

Police are working with Interpol and checking bank accounts in the search despite possible sightings of his vessel near Northland.

.. an Orion P3 plane to check the coastline from Kawhia to Northland. A spokesman said nothing was found. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/88033824/police-liaising-with-interpol-over-search-for-missing-father-and-daughter

I am from Kawhia and have had the "pleasure" of meeting this man, Thank fully only a couple of times. The boat sat for 5 years was assembled on the beach with thrown out old sailing gear from our hartley 16's and other boats, Hes definitely hiding out over custody.