Woody Bay Mooring Appeal

Pink Caddy

Richard Brabant has been successful in appealing the ARC decision to permit a swing mooring in Woody Bay, Rakino. He acted for AYBA, and was supported by Kevin O'Sullivan, Ron Copeland and Gulf Anchorages Protection Society (GAPS - coordinated by Tom Miller). Thanks to those people and many more who have worked hard to resolve this issue.

This means that the last remaining mooring in Woody Bay must now be removed.

The Court's decision may be viewed at:

http://www.cananz.org.nz/WoodyAppeal.pdf

It is a lovely little bay on the western side of Rakino, and is one of very few to give excellent protection from Easterlies.

If you have never sailed to Woody Bay for lunch, or overnight, you have missed one of the real gems of the Hauraki Gulf.

Huh? sorry, I don't understand. What is special about this bay that ones don't want a mooring? That is the case isn't it? or do I not understand what is taking place. Well actually I don't understand anything about it actually. A little story would be helpful.

Wheels if you Google Rakino Island, you will find it. It's a lovely smallish island in Auckand Hauraki Gulf. It's very close to Motutapu Is. There are holiday homes on it and a few permanent dwellings as well and a number of people had put down moorings in Woody Bay so that once or twice a year they could tie their 18 ft fizzie to it overnight. Of course the moorings take up quite a large "rotational" area and it meant that pleasure boaties were severely restricted in where they could anchor. It's close enough for a day sail from almost any of the Auckland marinas. Approx 1/2 hour by raft from Gulf Harbour or about 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending what sort of leaner you drive.

When you and Mrs Wheels move up here you'll love Rakino - having said that, there's just so much choice...

OK, so is it that the mooring would take up valuable anchoring space?? I can certainly understand non-compliant moorings being removed. But I figured this being asked to be ligit was different to the illegal ones. We have a similar issue here that there is a mooring in pretty much every decently sheltered bay and it wrecks them for trying to anchor as the mooring ends ups slap bang right in the middle or the best position. But then, when we commonly have 90ft of water 20ft out from the shore, moorings tend to be the easier alternative to hook up to.

Yes, alot of the moorings put in there were illegal, and were an issue as they were somewhat minimal in approach and more than once someone hooked up a bigger boat to them and found themselves inadvertently "relocating" the mooring. Of course anyone who picks up a mooring that is unknown to them is taking a risk. In this instance it is a good thing that moorings are to be removed as this is a hugely popular bay in summer and it is unfair to restrict it's availability to a few who may or may not even be there. All shapes and sizes and flavours go to Rakino.

That's the beauty of the Hauraki gulf, there are plenty of very nice spots to anchor in 5-10m of water but it only takes a small number of people to erect reserved parking signs to ruin it for the rest. That and mussel farm expansions.

Woody bay is one of those especially nice ones and also one of the few in that area that protect you in an easterly. It would have only taken half a dozen swing moorings or so to effectively ruin it for the great majority. On a nice day you can get 50 or more boats in there.

Wheels, if you are moving up this way you are in for a treat. It's hard to beat the Hauraki gulf for pleasure boaties.

Yeah I keep hearing it is awesome up there. Hard to imagine with the stunning part of the world we have down here to play in. I wioll really miss it, but at the same time,look forward to a new area to explore. Pretty much been everywhere here.

But I am slightly nervous about sharing with 50 other boats. I mean, I might anchor incorrectly and everyone will be watching me. :wink: :lol:

I like I can't say 100% yet, till Dawn gets something official. I thought three reviws were taking place,but on Sunday, a friend of ours in Auckland was undergoing his review which is called R5. I asked dawn what R5 was and she said, oh that's yet another review process. What's the 5 mean? Well there are 5 review processes happening. There's what???? And not one of them know what the other is doing and the one main review committe has been made up of Army people because there was no one left available to carry out the allt he reviews. So Army are making carreer decisions for Airforce personal. What a circus.

But anyway, yeah we think we are coming to Auckland but we just don't know for certain. The alternatives are Ohakea or take a broom and sweep the runway here at Woodbourne. :wink: I think she would rather sweep the runway that go to Ohakea :wink:

As the pressure increase I guess we'll go the way of other places where there is lots of competition for anchorages.

That would mean permanent moorings placed by some authority (POA?ARC?) which you then pay to use $20 per night, and as pressure increases you have to book in advance and a two night maximum stay.

Don't laugh it happens in lots of places now.

I remember choking on my vegemite sandwich when I suggested to a mate in Ft Lauderdale we sail to Bimini (Bahamas) for the long weekend and he answered "no point leaving the dock, we'd never get a park." Apparently the long weekends are booked way in advance.

Or google Angel Island moorings and see what the rules are there.

interesting. At the moment I would expect to see less boats out than more , given the current economic climate. Lets hope we don't get to the point where someone feels they need to regulate.

I think as Slacko said, this was only the thin edge of the wedge. Big kudos to those that fought this one on behalf of silent majority.

One good thing about an economic downturn is the noticeable reduction in gin palaces carving up the harbour and going past you with a good 10 meters to spare leaving a wake big enough for Hawaii 5 O

Wheels, don't worry about it, as long as you understand that EVERY time you anchor in a bay EVERYONE will be watching you and saying how you're doing it wrong. Once you're settled, then you get to watch the next one come in and notice how they're doing it wrong too. Funny thing is just how many launch drivers come in and it's clear they have no idea that where they put their anchor is NOT where they'll end up! Best entertainment at Christmas? Fitzroy watching all the launches trying to manoeuvre alongside the rather solid concrete wharf. Just sit back with some coldies and chips and you can enjoy a very entertaining afternoon.

The inability to anchor properly or to manoeuvre up alongside a wharf, is not restricted to launch drivers. I had similar entertainment watching yachties trying to anchor in the Bay of Islands last summer. I think the record was 4 attempts and then they had to move later in the evening when the tide turned and they swung round to sit very close to someone else, not me fortunately.

I can relate to Wheels though. When I first started boating in the Hauraki Gulf after most of my years spent in the Whangarei Harbour, where 2 - 3 boats is a crowd in some anchorages, I was very nervous when coming in to anchor in some busy spots. No doubt I entertained a few people, but I have never dragged or made contact with anyone else, yet.

The inability to anchor properly or to manoeuvre up alongside a wharf, is not restricted to launch drivers.

Yeah fair call, but let's face it we're nearly all yachties here so of course we're gonna bag 'em, and to be fair they do feature quite regularly in the handling mishaps dept!

NZ is a breeze. Try anchoring stern to in the Med in harbours so crowded you have to squeeze into a gap smaller than your boat. Add a 20 knot cross wind, and watch the fun. You learn fast though!!

For entertainment you can pick a spot between 2 say Swan 80 footers or similar, and weave a bit as you come in, or have a couple of stabs at it. Pretty soon the pro crews will be lining the topsides of the the shiny maxis armed with fenders and worried looks.. Great fun! :lol: :lol:

With the flotillas we went bows too and double decked them, sometimes triple decked, so you had to walk the length of 3 boats pissed coming back from the taverna to get to the outside yacht.. Harder than the mooring!! :D :D

Actually, up until now I felt a bit sorry for the property owner with the mooring. He said he was happy for others to use it when he wasn't there. He had applied for resource consent, he had a property on the island adjacent to the mooring. I couldn't see it as a big thing.. All those moorings off Greenhythe had to come from somewhere. Boating mag did a good pros and cons write up on it a while back and I really felt for the guy..

I can see the points made here but I am not so hard and fast on it as you guys..

I Initially had some sympathy for the applicant as well, but on reading the decision from the Environment Court I changed my mind. The issue seems to have come down to the fact that he couldn't park his 20m launch in the designated mooring area, so therefore felt he was entitled to put a mooring somewhere that it would fit. He also owned a smaller boat that he could happily get to the island on (8m?) and that would quite happily fit within the designated MMA, but didn't want to use that. The commissioners made a good comparison with someone wanting to own a house bus and if they couldn't park it where they wanted, the Council should provide them with something appropriate outside their house.

Archived