Deck winch

At 60 I have always pulled my own anchor , brought up being told , if you can't haul your own anchor and main sll , sell your boat son , so dads gone , and the bloody anchor is getting heavier , so I am after a winch that can do it , should I get a capstan or one of the fancy through deck models , I have 15 mill warp 8 mill chain about a boat and a half , do the winch capstan style work , I need comments , this a serious matter

anchoring in 5m of water i could usually pull up the 15kg anchor on 20m of 9mm chain 

manual vertical

Manual-Achor-Winch-In-Ellsen-1.jpg

but in deeper water, or if the anchor dug down deep in mud, or kedging off a mudbank, dropping the chain into the gypsy of the manual vertical capstan on deck was gold (used a standard winch handle).......manual possibly no longer made - sold in nz

manual horizontal

manual.jpg

get much bigger in anchor + chain and a horizontal capstan - windlass? is recommend for manual use as they give a better "lever throw"...usually used with a 2-3 foot steel? pipe - level

horizontal take up more deck space but seem less likely to catch jib sheets etc

electric vertical

chain only

23288-387819.jpg

electric horizontal 

21572-9311355.jpg

no experience with elec but they are heavier, more expensive, give more trouble

I use a vw1200 Maxwell vertical with the rope drum/ chain gypsy. 110m 10mm all chain, 20kg nz rocna. Been a good winch in over 1000 nights at anchor. The gearbox is the weak point, make sure the clutch and gearbox are serviced. Don't use the winch to pull the anchor out of the bottom - use a snubber or chain hook, and the boat. Deepest we have anchored is 48m - with both anchor rodes joined. Usually it's 10 or less. A good winch, sized correctly, treated well will last for years and is a great addition to any boat without one.

There are many winches out there that just don't do the job. So get a good one. KM is certainly the guy to talk to. More importantly, they will sort the Anchor rode out for you as well. You are likely going to need a new Rope/Chain to suit the Winch. It is essential to have the correct set up for the winch to work correctly. He will walk you through the works of what you will need.
By the way, I get the "if you can't pull the anchor up" thing, but there can be situations where it would be impossible. For instance, you are in a bay, the wind has really picked up and you need to find better shelter. I helped out a young couple on a wee TS may years ago with that very situation. The Guy was young and fit, but after having to pull the anchor up several times, he was stuffed.

KM (or "Knot Me" being the handle he uses here on Crew) helped develop the Maxwell Rope to Chain gypsy. And for all these makes and models of chain gypsies, it is extremely important that you get a good quality rope, if you want trouble free use. Plus the chain needs to be matched to the gypsy. So if what you have is good condition, you may be able to reuse it and just need the Gypsy that suits it.
Be aware that Burnsco's may offer a great price on Winches, but check that you are getting everything included. There was once a time where they used to break apart the Winch Package and not sell the entire pack as one unit. So the Advertised price looked cheap, but then the rest of it was sold as additional. I assume they still do that.

Ok today was winch dedicated, measured the locker . Needs modification to achieve 300 mills above the stowed rode. Full width of hull and is 600 for and aft and 400 deep . Needs to be deeper , ok can do , but I see there is drum winches around that are electric that will fit , has any of you had experence with these , drum winches , one of these will fit they are 400 round 500 wide handle up to 15 mill rode and chain and a 100 mtrs and 700 llb load ,

Ok burning up carbs tonight Looking at anchor locker sizes to accomodate anchor winched , I stumbled accross a theory very simple , a cylindrical tube 450 x 800 that's all that is needed will take most warps and chain easy fitted up to the deck locker lid , comments please

It is a good idea to think about ways to deal with anchors . . 

Last year, an excellent sailor in our club was out island hopping with his wife on their 27 footer; 

he had the "Big One" while trying to free his anchor. Rescuers arrived quickly, but he was already 

gone.   RIP.