Dragging/Anchor unset etiquette

I was anchored at Matiatia for the blow on Saturday night, 40m of chain out in 5m of water...  noisy but we only moved about 5m all night.  Scared the hell out of me at one point i stuck head out of hatch to check things and couldn't find the ferry terminal...    power cut.

Looks good, I'm going to have to dig into anchors again (pun intended), Our bruce which i am told was an original started to pull in the 30kn's we had in Tutukaka harbour. Going to need something a little bit better suited for higher winds :/ Of course you go looking and everything is blasting you "Rocna"

Didn't want to derail this too far but this is the first time on the bruce @ 30kn so i can't say if it's changed or not. I know it's an older design and many consider it not suitable these days, i'd sleep easier in a blow with something a bit more modern and as you say on the Lloyds register

We had a "bruce" type anchor on our boat when we bought it.  Can't remember if it was branded or not.  Lovely stainless steel thing that we unhappily dragged all round any sea bed we tried to anchor in unless it was flat calm and then we think the heap of chain on the bottom did all the work.

Ashamed to say we sold it on TM to a launch owner.  Shackled on the spare which was a Delta, ….much, much, better.  Then KM talked us into a Sarca Excell.

Best ever!  Do it right and the thing hooks on almost immediately and don't let go.  So good, we occasionally have to short the chain as much as we can, flick it off the winch and onto a cleat, then give her a burst in reverse to get it out.  

Nice to see that lloyds register,For my 38 ft cat I am going to get my 15 kg sarca regalvanised and use it instead of the 20 kg delta, plus I have a really big alloy fortress and a 10 kg delta .   The best anchor I have had was a 20 kg bugel that looked home made, never moved once.

To be fair to the Bruce, Toots is a shite place to anchor in any breeze, I think the bottom is medium sized stones and you just plow them.  Must have anchored about 5 times in a moderate northerly there one night, eventually gave up and tied up on the fuel dock.

Hey KM, interesting your comments about the DOTS.My current and previous boat, same anchor make, same size, both remote anchoring.  Old boat could stick it to the ground like the proverbial on a blanket, current boat I keep wondering if someone has stolen my anchor!  Same technique on both as the same DOTS, only difference is the old one I had the chain marked with cable ties so I could count the length out, the current has a chain counter.  I keep meaning to run some chain out and measure it as I wonder if the counter is optimistic!

I cant remember the chain size on the old boat, but I guess it could have been bigger.

Thanks KM, I have been meaning to run some chain out in the marina and physically measure it to compare with the counter. Might do that tonight.  I pretty much us the same technique you describe and the same scope, which really makes me think the counter could be out.  Already bought a new anchor from you :) so chain counting is the last step :) 

Geez KM ...is that how you Akldr's anchor ? Really. On the cruise this year saw boats (launches) doing the old down tide , downwind and let the whole lot go thing. This seemed to have lost favour over recent years but now back in vogue ? It's great entertainment and sometimes it works ! Must be good for business when it doesn't

I have been meaning to put a small float on say 6 mts of line to the head of my anchor, would be handy to know where the anchor is . check scope and swinging circle and may keep other boats from anchoring too close, multis often don,t lie the same way as monos . As well as being able to retrieve a snagged anchor.

An anchor marker might seem a good idea, but you're just going to piss people off.

Boats can anchor much closer than full scope circles would suggest without hitting. We've frequently had to wait for boats to swing out of the way when raising anchor, but never had any feeling that the boats would swing into contact.

In the commodore's lounge at the squadron there's a photo of mansion house bay in the early 1900's, taken from the shore, with boats very close together. In discussing it with some more weathered folk their impression is that the wind tends to channel between boats at anchor and keep them apart.

• Upvote 2

I hear what you're saying Bogan and can see that a small light boat might get away with a shorter scope. However the potential is definitely there for bumps and fouling of my marker if they anchor inside my scope. If they foul my marker they are that much closer to fouling my anchor. It happened to me a couple of years ago when someone anchored too close to me. Great big fat stupid launch it was.

BTW how many people use an anchor alarm on the GPS?