Unsustainable Hauraki Gulf fishing

Well, I would support a ban on commercial fishing in the Gulf - and on recreational fishing too ( now ducking for cover).

I get a bit cross with fishos who roar past me when I'm punching to windward and then heave to for a drift fish - right in front of me and on my course line.

But then, I have an agreement with the fish. They don't bother me and I don't bother them.

So of course my opinions are decidedly coloured by my personal inclinations and not the greater good- exactly the same as everybody else.

Not a Greens supporter nor Kevin.....usually. Don't they understand that it's the recreational fishers that are the main cause of the problem ? Just ask the Commercial guys and the Minister who imposed the restricted limits. (BTW not opposed to limits. Provided equally restrictive limits are imposed on Commercial fishing)

Me too. Or at least a significant catch reduction.

What I don't like though is when those in charge seem to keep focussing on recreational fishers and seem to let the commercial guys (who I understand take much more) carry on plundering.

This article seems to be saying they're looking at it all so may be a positive?

The whole seachange proposal is that there will/can be 13 mpa no take zones which may/will include no anchoring

possible commercial zones only

iwi control/only zones

It has to go before doc/mpi then public consultation(roughly how it will work)mpi who want more fish exports may not support itt mpa/reserves have little to no effect on stock outside of the zone

Attended a meeting last night on how "Seachange"will/wont work and it will not go ahead for a simple reason.MPI want to double exports by 2025 when trawling is suppose to exit the gulf.

The Group who came up with the plan are commercial fisherman or have commercial interest.Farmers with big Fonteera shares.Yes there will be no take zones which may or may not effect recreational fishing.Areas will be closed down to fishing but that could be a small price to pay when we are talking about abundance for all.Ahu Moana is the sticking point for most recreational including myself until it was explained how it could work.Basically IWI control the foreshore and out to sea for a mile.The bonus could be if we work with IWI on things like tempoary closures of certain beaches and when stock improves could be reopened but IWI may put a set limit on it from our legal daily bag limits,for it to go ahead mpi would need to agree.The concern last night that IWI would close access off to all.But if we worked with IWI and they Guaranted access for say rock fisherman or the small dinghy owner who can row out 200/300m without impdence then I would support IWI descions. The only way forward would be DOC to come onboard and force the issue re damage to seabeds etc.

There is a lay mans version of "seachange" with FAQS coming out soon and I will post when available.

I was totally against all reforms until last night and those involved for recreational explained the full process.End of the day if we want to get abundance restored even areas closed off that we consider our right to fish in now.Recreational Fisherman/woman need to put difference aside and support what is being proposed.Enough support MPI will have to think again as they have already lost one battle(Will not enter into at this stage)Mr Goodfellow and his money will not win if we unite.

Down Tauranga(astrolabe reef"rena") a solo judge ruled in favour of local authority that they have the right to protect the seabed from trawling under the RMA but mpi will/have appealed and is going to the supreme court where 3 judges no doubt will find in favour of mpi and resume commercial activities

Hope this sort of explains where recreational fishing/diving is at.

What's the story with more Marine Reserves in the Hauraki Gulf? If more are introduced they will need to be a bit more effective than the Goat Island one, which I learnt these holidays has been almost fished out by recreational fishers sitting on its boundary.

just a sample,the pink areas will/maybe the reserves and could include up to 1 mile from anyshore line that Doc have control of.

In effect there could be no fishing from rangitoto lighthouse across to Takapuna or 1 mile out to sea around rangi/motutapu motuihe browns island.The Mokihinui maybe covered western side of coville tiritiri matangi. Can be seen as an inconvenience to recc fishers but may install abundance once commercial seiners/trawlers are out,on the other hand we may see more longliners as trawlers convert over.catch22?

It would nice to think that in 10/15yrs we could have more stock than we know what to do with?

Goat island reserve is way to small to sustain growth and breeding does not take place within the reserve.It was set up originally as a research centre.Yes there has been poaching both sectors,the crayfish have moved on due to lack of fed and crays do go marches and hopefully this is the case and some will return.

There huge untapped tourist potential in our gulf if stocked ,where else could you go 1hr from your hotel catch a fish photograph it release it  to caught again and again,unlike the commercial sector catch it once and its gone.Who knows a tourist may pay $100/$150 for the experience?comms get roughly $3 per kg snap and $1.10Ky/trevally to be turned in aussie cray bait.

I am keen on fishing and would love my Grandchildren to have the same experience in 20/30yrs.

There are a lot of fat 29cm snapper fish out there, I don't think much needs to change, the fishery is recovering slowly, leave it to nature...     

29cm is no good to me but fine for comms we need 30cm and only can take 7 snapps in sna1

How many snapper do you need? Seven per person sounds like plenty to me.

used to be no restrictions on numbers then we dropped to 30 to 15 down to 9 now 7,meanwhile the tacc for comms has not moved,they have stayed 25cm meanwhile we went from 27cm to 30cm

7 may seem plenty but we do not keep our limit as they go to the elderly who cannot afford snapper

limit your catch not catch your limit!