unseamanlike overtaking

True Willow, if you've done a bit of racing and are used to boats being close. If you're new to sailing, and are learning the ropes, so to speak, you may well be frightened by this. Hence the rule, 5 knots within 50m.

Jet skis ban the bloody things, I have at least half a dozen jetskis, fizz nasties and Launches break the 50m rule every time I go out in the summer just a sign of the times I guess.

Would be nice to hear the other side of the story.

that only applies if both yachts are racing, I got the impression that only the larger yacht was racing, therefore what IT said, 5 knots within 500metres.  I would have thought 3 metres was pretty close for two random boats to pass....

So you are racing, and some cruiser is shambling along on your track; to pass it legally, you either need to find 50 meters (not 500??) on either side or somehow do it at 5 knots or less. That just wont work on a busy harbour, if its actually the law then everyone ignores it, rightly.  

Had a situation off Bean Rock late last year.We were on port on the wind,heading up the harbour.A group of seriously big yachts racing were coming down reaching with kites on port (windward keeps clear)as not to impede the fleet we went head to wind before we crossed the fleet and we got acknowledge by most.Courtesy costs nothing

So in Kevin's case perhaps the 50 footer should/could of gone a little bit further to leeward but then we do not know what was to leeward of 50 footer.

I think its a complete spin out on a new sailors behalf. To name and malign a man/ boat with hundreds of thousands of sea miles including circumnavigating and numerous trans pacific crossings ,here on a public forum is just appalling.

Everyday event , except this one is a courteous sailor making life easy for a smaller boat.

Bordering on slanderous behaviour in my opinion. Bloody disgusting.

JohnB, the name of the vessel has been deleted. Also, just because someone has many miles and is liked by locals , it does not mean they can never make a mistake. I'm certainly not saying anyone did - I wasn't there - but that many posters here have made a decision on who was correct without any real evidence either way.

I see the only value in this thread being that it has made a few consider the rules more closely.

I'm Storm Fantasy, that's public knowledge, unlike some anon here. I've got nothing to hide. He was certainly going more than 5 knots. There were no boats to leeward. It wasn't in the harbour. There were no other boats within 1 nm or more. Accuracy on the GPS coordinates comes from putting the cursor in google maps and copy and pasting.

Your co ordinates have you going in to army bay?1.06 miles out,google maps.is that correct,as I have never found google maps reliable at sea. if it is right i will give it another try instead of playing with paper charts and reading co ords off gps

Your co ordinates have you going in to army bay?1.06 miles out,google maps.is that correct,as I have never found google maps reliable at sea. if it is right i will give it another try instead of playing with paper charts and reading co ords off gps

Google maps coordinates are way out - always. They will not match true GPS coordinates.

This is why you will some guys that advertise moorings on T/Me advise if they are giving Google earth co-ordinates, or GPS coordinates.  If you stick G/Earth coordinates into your GPS maps you will be way out.

Google maps coordinates are way out - always. They will not match true GPS coordinates.

This is why you will some guys that advertise moorings on T/Me advise if they are giving Google earth co-ordinates, or GPS coordinates.  If you stick G/Earth coordinates into your GPS maps you will be way out.

That's what I have found so I will stick to my chart and gps

For most of us on this board, racing gives you long periods of time with boats that close around you, and often in some pretty difficult situations.

In that situation, no problem.

We just assume that other sailors have some racing experience and will be comfortable with a controlled overtake of this type. This thread shows that might not be true.

• Upvote 2

had 1 of the america's cup boats zoom by 3m? from my old small keeler once off north head

they under spin on a deep reach, me loling along with flopping jib

guess he wanted his tourists to get a real feel for the speed

reasonably well telegraphed from his end by sailing right up my wake

he could see i could see

lots of smiles + waving