unseamanlike overtaking

Absolutely it was awesome.

For me pretty much any boat that doesn't leave a massive wake is no big deal.

Some powered vessels can leave you wallowing in their wake with the dishes crashing on the floor even at legal speeds and distances. Usually sailboats don't leave a massive wake so aren't annoying.

IMHO distance is less important than the size of the wake. A boat can leave a dangerous wake while still being otherwise legal.

Sounds like a storm in a teacup to me. 

I'd be ALOT  more concerned about the idiots piloting fizz nastys recently.

2 incidents last weekend of fizz nastys doing 30 knots plus and coming to grief;

one piling into rocks off cooks beach and landing one of the crew in ICU 

another piling into another fizz nasty and sinking it.

when will they learn!!

as for the jet skiis in Manly what a bunch of cretins!!

You have to watch these foiling clowns to eh. Mind you they're yachties so ok

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=jordan%20harkin%20posts

had a 40 something ft keeler motor across my bow from port to starboard such that I had to slow to let them through - they didn't give a flying f*ck so its not just fiz nasties but generally arogant wankers who simply have no respect for others.

Had another situation where a couple kids sped past us in their RIB at the top of Bon Accord.  Someone in our group called out to them to slow down which they did.  Upon returning to their launch, "Dad" decided to jump in the dinghy and do a loop around us at full tit - so its not just keeler nasties either but generally arogant wankers who simply have no respect for others.

• Upvote 1

Ha Ha "Scottie" reminds of the 1970s at mansion house bay.loaned my "P" out to a boy named Shroder,?this kid in a dinghy kept buzzing him,now Schroder not being the shy type whipped the tiller out and proceeded to destroy the outboard cover.end of problem

had a 40 something ft keeler motor across my bow from port to starboard such that I had to slow to let them through - they didn't give a flying f*ck so its not just fiz nasties but generally arogant wankers who simply have no respect for others.

Had another situation where a couple kids sped past us in their RIB at the top of Bon Accord.  Someone in our group called out to them to slow down which they did.  Upon returning to their launch, "Dad" decided to jump in the dinghy and do a loop around us at full tit - so its not just keeler nasties either but generally arogant wankers who simply have no respect for others.

Agreed arrogant w#@kers is the main problem, not to mention self centered and inconsiderate, like I said a sign of the times.

In the later incident I would have been tempted to get the flare pistol out but a better idea is to record the whole incident, being sure to capture the main vessel name and forward it to the harbour masters office, it's their job to deal with the knuckle draggers. 

Courtesy, a word often forgotten when assessing something around rules.  I try to exercise as much courtesy as possible when out boating.  It can be difficult with a spread of boats of all descriptions at all speeds to meet all of the rules, especially in the inner harbour and past the inside of Rangi.  But I am not perfect, I have made mistakes as we all have.

I had a nice 40ft launch come up my wake and pass me at approx 15 knots within 10m on Monday when there was no other boat to either side for 500m.  I know the boat, it sits on the adjacent pier.  My boat sits on the end of a pier at Westhaven, I should take photos of the boats of all types who exceed 5 knots and produce annoying wakes.  Yes even if you have a yacht the 5 knot rules still applies and despite what some of you might think, you do produces a wake at 7 knots as you race around the marina. 

had a mate sailing back from Kawau last weekend, sailing, keeping frequent lookout, saw a fizzer fishing, adjusted course on auto, looked again a minute or two later, and still on collision course. Now realised fizzer was drift fishing, and adjusted course again, only to be sworn and abused when he passed.

Asked my opinion, and all I could say was sex and travel. So whats the rule for drifting non anchored power boats? I always come across them in the harbour

and had wondered what if the worst happened, and what the rule is? Half the time these drifters have their engine running and move for whatever reason, so its hard determining if they are under power or not?

Coming into bayswater last week (at less than 5 knots), new high speed launch coming out at close to 10-12 knots inside the marina and on the wrong side, let's just say I got out of the way fast and did a go around in the ferry space, the wake this thing put up was huge.  Turns out brand new boat, brand new owner, no clue, could have gone really bad.  Still got a smile and a wave, Happy Chinese New Year!!!

So far this year I have been impressed by the adherence to the collision regulations by launches and Yachts.

As for fizz boats, well....

I don't know what it is with these guys but they seem incapable of steering their boats in a straight line. In fact the crazy manouvres and course changes reminds me of flies around a piss-pot.

Often their Looney antics don't bother me but when it's close quarter stuff and their course variations go from making you the stand on vessel to the give way vessel and back to the stand on vessel again, I just don't know what to do with these guys.

There seems to be a common lack of understanding about wakes, a rather large boy and his girlfriend? went close past me in his RIB whilst we were anchored in Smelting House sunday evening , they were at maximum displacement speed ie creating the biggest wake possible , he saw me shaking my head so when returning from the club came past at maximum speed (planing) to try and annoy me - causing no wake at all :wtf: 

some squat at low speeds and make a wash like a old displacement at 9knt,when these fizzys/ribs etc do 15+ no wake,but then comes in play no wash zones but must travel no faster than 5knt.so what is one to do??

had a mate sailing back from Kawau last weekend, sailing, keeping frequent lookout, saw a fizzer fishing, adjusted course on auto, looked again a minute or two later, and still on collision course. Now realised fizzer was drift fishing, and adjusted course again, only to be sworn and abused when he passed.

Asked my opinion, and all I could say was sex and travel. So whats the rule for drifting non anchored power boats? I always come across them in the harbour

and had wondered what if the worst happened, and what the rule is? Half the time these drifters have their engine running and move for whatever reason, so its hard determining if they are under power or not?

From memory the drifting vessel would be deemed a vessel not under command and you would give way,regardless of having motor running.As we would have to assume they have a problem with their propeller.Same as a yacht on port tack with no way on(drifting)you on starboard making way you would have to give way.Forget about the racing rules,the international collision regs would come in to play.!being on stb must hold course and other vessel has not made a manoveer of iintention(changing course) then you must give way.(followed by a 2 finger salute).