Round North Island, 2 Handed ---2017

Have to feel for Blink right now it's fairly hard to watch on the tracker, let alone being out there drifting around. They got sooo close to Scarlet, only to get left behind, which must hurt on an epic boat like Blink.

Ilex's tracker has them inside New Plymouth harbour (but still doing 5.8 knts at 148). Is that a tracker error, or have they got an issue? there track is going straight for the harbour, where everyone nearby go near there but then beat down coast.

Ilex's tracker has them inside New Plymouth harbour (but still doing 5.8 knts at 148). Is that a tracker error, or have they got an issue? there track is going straight for the harbour, where everyone nearby go near there but then beat down coast.

now doing 0.4 knt at the 6:30 update

Any guesses as to what else happened overnight? Did Celadon anchor (in the cable protection zone maybe)? How did Laissez Faire get passed everyone? Motor? Looks like Ilex has rejoined? Did they just stop overnight for a good rest, sail in and out of the port? What time will the tide hit the flush button or will there be enough wind today? The wind has swung back to the north which should help. Did the whole of Wellington city get woken up at 6am by the party on the Sunfast? They did very well, must be stoked.

Checkout the close racing in the backmarkers, cool change and rigmarole. Been tough getting around egmont for those guys. I know Dad (rigmarole) is patient, it would have sent me over the edge!

Any guesses as to what else happened overnight? Did Celadon anchor (in the cable protection zone maybe)?

Looking at the GPS coordinates I would say they were South and East of it:

https://www.transpower.co.nz/sites/default/files/publications/resources/cook-strait-booklet-2011.pdf

How did Laissez Faire get passed everyone? 

18m of waterline length!

18m of waterline length!

Well.... yes I'm sure that helped, but if that was all there was to it wouldn't they have led the whole race? As well as being 60' long, it weighs over 22 tone(?) and is a very comfy looking cruiser, which sailed past Wedgetail - a well respected race boat, at well over twice their speed, surely there is more to it that just waterline length? Tactics? Some description of huge extra sail? Both crew up all night pushing hard?

I think the tracker is broken, definately errors in it.

its showing Pahi doing 11.1 knts, but Pahi is a Stewart 34.............

Looks like it is defying the laws of physics.

to be fair, Predict Wind is showing 32/36 at the Brothers, and 29/44 at Tongue Pt.

Is that what the locals call with wind factory?

Oracle showing 11.3 knts,

Cool change 10.4 knts

some of the little boats are boogy-ing

Wonder how long they can all keep it up for without breaking something...

What way is the tide going at the moment?

probably a bit of tide...

squealer decided to get into the harbour under iron spinnaker, 30-40 knots on the nose is not a very nice way to finish off the leg.

Pahi and Zenith in the wind factory now