Round North Island, 2 Handed ---2017

Arbitare and Oracle still going. Vela Via finished in the early hours this morning, after taking shelter to get rid of some water and let the race management team have a few hours sleep. The Gisborne restart is under way after their unofficial 4th leg finish in Gisborne. 

Arbitare look to be on the lay through the Motohuie channel.  In the next hour they shoudl be in the lee of Rakino which will knock down the chop for them. 

Oracle just past Gannet Rock but slow.

But only Blink and Wedgetail are still in the hunt for Div 1 as all others have swapped crew at some point

Jon - I read this a few days ago and just wondering is crew swapping normal? I have no axe to grind with anybody and I guess its within the rules, but it seems a bit strange to me - after all I would have though the idea was that a boat and its crew raced the race - whatever that is - round the lake/ the island/ the bouys - whatever. 

Seems to me that the same 2 crew should be in for the duration, and I'm not sure why you'd do the race under any other circumstance.

I realise that things happen and if one of the crew gets hurt there is no option. Or did I just misunderstand your post?

Awesome to see Pahi performing so well. Just goes to show how the age of a boat does not necessarily determine its performance - and although you cannot compare different divisions with a straight face, the elapsed leg time puts Pahi up a division and 3rd in that div. Pretty damn good performance by crew and vessel.

In any case well done to all (including the organisers and the small army of volunteers) - but especially the battlers still out there who will complete the course unless they simply cannot.

I think you are mis reading what was said re: crew swapping,

From the race documents "1.1       If requested by the owner/skipper and approved by the race committee, either member of the crew may be replaced by another properly qualified person until 6 hours prior to the start of any leg. From this time on the crew may not be changed for the leg.

The same crew must complete all legs to be eligible for overall prizes"

I think that is fair enough, could be any number of legitimate reasons a crew member may not be able to compete in all legs.

• Upvote 1

I am sure no offence would be taken. Most are still probably recovering (if they are not still out there).

It is a major achievement just to complete this race any thing else is a bonus. Got to be the toughest regular race in NZ if not further afield, must ask some of the crews who have done races such as the hobart etc to see how it compares.

Don't think any leg is as tough as a S2H on average but what makes this a tough race is it's four races back to back and your two handed and generally on smaller yachts so I'd personally put this as the toughest regularly race race in this part of the world if not further a field

Well done to all that got to the start line as this is in it's self an achievement

And congrats to all that get around, how ever they do it.

• Upvote 2

Hobart is actually much harder if you are at the top end of the competitive racing fleet. Sitting on the rail for 3 days is not easy especially in a southerly buster. The level of competition is pretty damn high and its bloody hard work. Probably pretty easy if you are just doing it for the challenge and not pushing so hard.

They are very different events, RNI really is an endurance event, you not only have to survive the sailing but also the stopovers.... And again its all about how hard you push (both on and off water activities). Some peoples perception of 'racing' is very different to others.

Pahi has been gone over from windex to lead in the last few years and is a credit to her owner, everything is new and sparkling including the "mahogany" prod to enable her to carry some extra RNI sails. Running Yanmar engine and Gori prop as were the first three over the line. 

• Upvote 1