Round North Island, 2 Handed ---2017

Another memorable event this year.Unfortunately e had to make a compulsory stop at Gisborne to await a new stay. but what a stopover!!!! We were very fortunate not to lose our rig when a lower shroud broke in the early hours of Saturday morning just short of East Cape. A quick tack and a very long motor back to Gisborne saved the day. Thanks to Steve at SSANZ a new stay was delivered Sunday. Lucky we only suspended racing and didn't withdraw. Gisborne was an amazing unscheduled stopover fir the fior boats who sought shelter.

I wake up at 2am and reach for the phone to check the tracker. Wait, RNI over, vendee over, bugger, better check the baby I 'spose.

The guys on rigmarole were very relaxed and in good shape, boat looked good, well done.

Ok all that wished they were sailing and not just checking the tracker every 30min here is your chance.

http://ssanz.co.nz/events/index.html?id=155

Three different courses that you choose not limited to the size of your yacht

Only limitation is you need Cat 3 for longhaul, with Shorthaul and Cruising Cat 4

Great destination finish with beach party to follow plus rally home.

To all the organisers, support people, ( and families) and the yacht clubs around the course - thanks for a great RNI race. For rigmarole it was a bit of an epic getting to the start line but the race lived up to its reputation, and made the effort worth it. It was great to meet and have a few beers with some of the other competitors. Thanks in particular to Dave, Ken, Lyndon, Sarah and Jacqui for making it possible and Gray at leading edge boatbuilders for doing the late nights to finish the work in time for the race. Happy sailing out there.

Just wondering what everyone thought of this in the latest boating nz?

Pretty disappointing that they couldn't do a proper article on the race.

Not to disparage Josh and Damons awesome performance but this just reads like an advert for Sun Fast and Orakei marine. 

What about the fantastic performances from all the other boats in the race

Provincial cowboy a 40 year old design which won overall.

Activator the super fast cruising boat which surprised even themselves.

Blink with Vesna who did half the race with a broken

collarbone.

Squealer having an absolute mare getting to Wellington 

Rigmarole just getting to the start and came third in their division

All the little boats who got smashed coming into wellington and on the last leg

Come on Boating NZ you can do better than this!!!!!

boating nz news article.jpg

I think this is what you call an "advertorial", although normally that would be disclosed in small print somewhere.  I generally flick through each months Boating NZ at the supermarket & will buy it if it has 2 or 3 articles that seem of interest, which works out to maybe 3 copies a year.

Their coverage of the last Coastal was even worse.  Some discussion of the 52's & Anarchy mainly in a very short article from memory.  As the overall monohull winner I got named incorrectly in the last line or two.

Just wondering what everyone thought of this in the latest boating nz?

Pretty disappointing that they couldn't do a proper article on the race.

Not to disparage Josh and Damons awesome performance but this just reads like an advert for Sun Fast and Orakei marine. 

What about the fantastic performances from all the other boats in the race

Provincial cowboy a 40 year old design which won overall.

Activator the super fast cruising boat which surprised even themselves.

Blink with Vesna who did half the race with a broken

collarbone.

Squealer having an absolute mare getting to Wellington 

Rigmarole just getting to the start and came third in their division

All the little boats who got smashed coming into wellington and on the last leg

Come on Boating NZ you can do better than this!!!!!

I haven't seen the mag, but I have to agree with Phil looking at the article, (and that hasn't happened much recently! :-) ). While Josh and Damon sailed amazingly well, and have sorted that boat to the max, there were other awesome stories to be had, as Phil points out.

• Squealer in particular have a torrid tale to tell in Cook Strait, with a close encounter with the Brothers.
  • Blink coming out of Wellington, scaring the hell out of us all as we thought they were going out the Wahine way via Barret's reef! with a badly wrapped kite on a very powerful boat. I had no idea Vesna had a broken collar bone! As most had no idea I had broken ribs! A story on these two, with what they have tackled with limited sailing experience (compared to others) would be worth while. They really took a big bite out of performance sailing in a powerful and complicated boat with not that much experience. They are also still married!!
  • How about Ran Tan going backwards in Cook Strait for how many hours? 
  • Provincial Cowboy's impressive performance throughout, with not a foot wrong to take overall PHRF in a 35 year old design.
  • Activator. Cruising boat my arse!! :-) Again, sailed and prepared almost to perfection!
  • Multiple boats giving way to Wind farm lights in Cook Strait. ("I had to tack Smithy, we were getting to close to the tow") :-)
  • Wedgetail getting lifted out to fix prop problems, being 2 hours or so late for the start, but still catching up and mixing it with the fleet!
  • The reception given to the boats that called into Gisborne on the last leg with damage or just too rough. This is a real "feel good" small town responds to visitors story that is old school NZ. It was brilliant how they were treated by the locals!

All they had to do, was contact a few of the competitors to get a really interesting read. 

• Upvote 2

As organisers we probably should have feed them the stories but we are all real sailors with real jobs trying to do our best by the real sailors that take on the challenge

Every time I've approached the likes they only seem interested if we can provide advertising income for them, (when I approach them about our cruise back from Europe including dismasting they only seemed interested if I could provide produce placement links they could then hit up for adds

So I just didn't bother)

The best stories are the ones that you real sailors write and post here and on our website, of the challengers and adventures that you had doing it, that's what is really believable and the true-ish history of events like this

• Upvote 3

Every time I've approached the likes they only seem interested if we can provide advertising income for them,

A sad state of affairs that, but demonstrates exactly why people like me don't buy what was once the best sailing magazine in the country.

Some of the best reading around is the stories on sites like this one, it provides my fix. Or maybe I need to get out more.

• Upvote 1

A sad state of affairs that, but demonstrates exactly why people like me don't buy what was once the best sailing magazine in the country.

Some of the best reading around is the stories on sites like this one, it provides my fix. Or maybe I need to get out more.

Apart from 84 pages on Trump.