Dinghy woes

Two weekends ago I went to do some work on the boat. I tied my Force 4 inflatable up to the stern bollard as usual and went down below to get on with the jobs. The wind came up a bit but I thought nothing of it at the time, until it was time to go home. No dinghy! Just the painter and D-ring. The webbing attachment, which showed no obvious wear or tear, must have given way. Dinghy with outboard still missing somewhere in Lytteton Harbour if anyone finds it. Luckily warm enough for a swim to shore.

Last weekend I went out in my other inflatable - older and a bit leaky, and with my larger outboard on the back. Tied up as usual and all seemed good. Then the damn wind came up again. Picked up the dinghy and flipped it over. The outboard got a dunking though fortunately seems to have survived after some care and attention. Fortunately I took the oars so was able to row back to shore, but it was a hell of a job righting the dinghy first.

So it looks like I need to buy a new dinghy. I'd prefer another inflatable simply for ease of transport, but I really don't want a repeat of the last two episodes. I need something suitable to tow behind the boat when sailing as there is no space to store on deck. Any suggestions of what to look for, and of experiences with stopping dinghy from flipping when the wind gets up?

Most dinghies I know that flip ( in the wind) go over backwards, especially with an outboard on. Light dinghies are worse, as are small ones. When it's really windy, I tie mine up low down on the stern ( of the yacht) to help keep the bow down. Using a painter slightly shorter than the dinghy. Seems to have worked, haven't had one flip since.

No idea what a retube and ship[ping would cost.

I was going to do this, but sadly, shipping from Auck to Blen was going to cost me over $500 and that was with a real good freight deal. So I had to drop the idea.

Having trouble with the quoting there. Seems not to work as expected on my iPad, so must be doing something wrong.

Most dinghies I know that flip ( in the wind) go over backwards, especially with an outboard on.

(Not sure that the quoting has worked right here. iPmajd doing funny things.)

It certainly did lift at the front first, then flipped sideways. I think I'll need to experiment with tying on differently as the rear bollards on the boat are quite high. The painter was fairly short, which may not have helped. I'm pretty sure the Force 4 wouldn't have turned over in the same wind, but there are quite a few differences to consider: larger dinghy, heavier outboard, different attachment point, shorter painter. Hopefully not too many failed experiments.

With regard to the replacement dinghy, it seems that some people prefer a rigid hull. I think this might be difficult for transportation, but wonder how others manage? Currently the roll-up goes in the back of the Terrano nicely.

I am exceptionally pleased with my nesting clinker praam. It cost me $900 and not many hours to build and does everything one would expect from a tender including ease of stowing on a relatively small yacht. And it will last me a very long time.

I have noticed this year a big increase in the number of boaties using rigid dinghies, presumably because they're all sick of all the problems associated with deflatables.

And in this regard, I bought an Avon Redstart rubber dinghy in 1974 and had it for decades. Possibly it's still going strong but I couldn't say for sure because somebody stole it a few years back.

The point being one would expect the quality of the fabric and glue to have improved over the years so how come you now have to pay around $1500 for an average deflatable and will be lucky to get five years out of it?