gibraltar super yacht

SCCZEN_AP170221050407_620x310.jpg

designed by French interior designer Philippe Starck 

Authorities in Gibraltar say they have seized one of the largest and most advanced superyachts in the world over an unsettled bill dispute between its owner and its German builder.

The Gibraltar Chronicle newspaper reports that shipbuilder Nobiskrug claims 15.3 million euro ($22.6m) in overdue payments for the 143m long Sailing Yacht A.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11804448

I don't think it can be appreciated in pictures. The scale of it is impressive. The proportions of hull and rig aren't too far away from some sail assisted ship ideas.

I think if it was anchored in the harbour and you viewed it it from on the water it would look quite cool given the few pics I've seen from low.

I bet he's delighted with it because like his last boat, it's captured attention.

As Gilda says, "you know what I've heard about you? Not one f**king thing". (Not directed at anyone in this thread)

David Barker faced similar criticism in 1976. Back then people were happy to describe it as something futuristic because people had their idea of what the future looked liked, fed by science fiction media. Comics and the jetsons

Imaginations these days don't extend past the next iPhone launch

A slight change in colour would help.And yes I can see what the wedge looking shape is,reduce windage as one AK designer told me the reason he has reverse sheer.Imagine standing on the bow  with a sheet of ply,by having a reverse sheer you have illiminated that sheet.So perhaps thats the idea of the wedge shape.

Or are they working on the Callegher Idea.It submerges levels out and only friction is around the mast steps??

1490_208e2.jpg

delivery to her owner, Russian billionaire Andrei Melnichenko is scheduled for late Spring 2017.

sail assisted motor-cruiser, 20 knots top speed under engines, 16 kn cruise

twin MTU engines of 4,827hp each which will give her a transatlantic range of 5,320 nautical miles.

perhaps doyles haven't made them yet;o)

tiny drawing here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3243137/The-world-s-LARGEST-super-yacht-revealed-Russian-billionaire-s-260m-mega-yacht-300ft-high-eight-floors-underwater-observation-room.html

she dwarves maltese falcon

has some kind of underwater viewing platform

and the bridge has with world's largest bit of curved glass

2C9E9A1F00000578-3243137-image-m-6_14428

those masts, the largest freestanding composite structures made

better.jpg

I wonder who painted this one. After last time, I would expect many companies would have said no thanks.
As for the money he still has to pay, he is worth many Billions. $15mill is much like Pocket change for him. Anyone know about what the withholding of the money is about? Obviously something won't be up to his standard.

Doyle Sailmakers USA manufactured the three fully-automated carbonfiber/taffeta full roach sails. The furling booms were built in Valencia by Future Fibres. 

Court papers show Nobiskrug is seeking an outstanding payment of €9.8m, as well as €5.5m for subcontractors and interest charges. The claims are made against Valla Yachts Ltd, the Bermuda company to which the yacht is registered.

Relations between Melnichenko and the shipbuilders appears to have soured rapidly since the ship left the Nobiskrug yard. 

As the vessel made its way to Spain earlier this month, Melnichenko’s project director, Dirk Kloosterman, who also helped build Larry Ellison’s Rising Sun

and Melnichenko’s previous superyacht “Motor Yacht A”,

said: “This has been the most challenging assignment of my career. I am confident Sailing Yacht A will be the world’s greatest yacht in terms of design and technology for the years ahead.

“Her beauty is breathtaking, and Philippe Starck’s astonishing design and ultimate vision will be the subject of many conversations wherever she travels around the globe. We look forward to the final delivery to the owner.”

Melnichenko is said to have chosen to name his yachts “A” so that they appear first in shipping registers. Sailing Yacht A, which requires 54 crew to operate, has eight decks connected by several lifts, and is capable of achieving speeds of 35 knots downwind.

The unique carbon fibre masts can withstand 90 knots of wind with full sail up,