Furling asymmetrics

On Sunday, in quite light winds, our furling kite basically unwound itself from the top end. 

The bottom end stayed rolled but no matter how much line I pulled, the top still flapped about, even after I had several wraps of sheet around the lower part. 

Is this a symptom of insufficient luff/halyard tension? Or am I missing something obvious?

Also, is it common practise to leave the furled sail up, or drop it to the deck once furled? I noticed the rig tended to pump a bit going through boat wakes with it hoisted, which seemed less obvious once dropped. That said, I think I need to tighten the shrouds a bit.

Thanks.

Was already: furled as wind had shifted forward too far. About ten mins later just the top started to unroll, while the bottom stayed still. It has a stiff line inside the luff tape.

First furl may not have been that flash but nothing obvious flapping about. Bottom quarter had rolled really tight.

In past life I've only had bags or chutes, so this furling thing is brand new, hence the luff tension question.

I did try to furl again but it wasn't really working so just dropped it in the end.