Has anyone bought overseas and saved big $?

the questions to ask yourself on any well used yacht_

paint job?

rig and sails upgrade?

engine replacement?

teak decks relacement? (better to remove and repaint)

depending on how/who does it, each of the above can run to $20k+ on a 10-11 m yacht.

Re that Beale - VW diesel,do not even think of it, been there done that!

Anything. Anything will sail to the places you want. What do you mean by easy to sail though??I am slightly confused, because on one hand you allude to knowing lots about the Boats and then you ask questions that would make me wonder. We really need to know what you mean by easy to sail. Because it can mean several different things. For instance......
Are you wanting something that sails easily in light air?
Do you want something that all controls or lines are lead back tot he cockpit?
Do you want push button sailing, as in electric in mast furling, electric head sail furling electric winches etc etc.
Do you want comfort and space?

By the way, Beneteau go the nick name Bendy Boat for a reason. Many that have done the hard yards have suffered from cracks etc.
I really don't think you are comparing apples with apples when you compare a NZ made flash thing at a mill or there abouts and some euro thing. In saying that, there are some very well designed and built euro boats. Swan would be one of my favorites. Elan, Hanse are a couple of the more production type with good reputation. Jeanneau has a better rep that Beneteau. But they all tend to be caravans in my view. No sole. Look smart on the outside, have all you want in the inside, but they lack sole. A boat with sole builds history and stories over it's life time. The plastic fantastic things never seem to.

The beneteaus are fine, for all the rhetoric floating around about them or any other production boat being bendy, there are many many of them that have done lots of miles without issue.

beneteau own jeanneau, the internet says they're built in the same factory, so to say one is better than the other is pointless.

I agree with Razz, some production boats have done more ocean miles than any other designs. There have been a few issues of course, normally by boats with pre-existing issues, or in poor condition. There is certainly a life expectancy issue though, they are not built to have a long life, especially the newer ones. Get a good one, properly surveyed, maintain it well, it'll be fine.

Do you want something that all controls or lines are lead back tot he cockpit?

Do you want comfort and space?

Thanks mate, those are good questions, the above is probably an example of what I am looking for.

I didnt even know there was push button masts etc, so no Im not an expert yet, just grew up sailing p class and optimist and always had a lazer. Then we had a trailer sailer. None of which was fancy.

Out of curisosity what is an example of electric mast and winche models? (never say never but I figure its one more electronics to go wrong)

Clearly the easier to control everything from the back is more desirable especially when we get older.

I saw that Bendy boat on youtube that couple was sailing around the world, I think its a 43ft Beneteau, La Vagabonde (the lucky devils just got sponsored with a $1m new French Cat, forget the brand).

Anyway their setup is  the kind of thing Im looking for.

I like the more modern interiors, really dont the old ruby red and lauquered wood look, mags me gag. Some of the newer young boats have nice curves inside, but they are more racing focussed so might not be suited?

Anyway, what models should I be looking for in a cruise boat of around $70k that would suit sailing around the BOI and up and down the coast to the Hauraki and outside of the coromandel?

Is 40ft overkill, would 32ft be comfortable enough?

Ive been looking at Cats, but never having sailed one Im not sure how much there is to learn and size for size they look about 2x the price?

I have had Cat power boats so I am use to powering down big following seas and the total difference it feels to a monohull, or at first what feels like lack of control lol.

But if we are going to be based in KeriKeri Im not sure we need a Cat. In fact Im not even sure we need a keeler as a Noelex 30 is a whole lot of boat. We had a Noelex 25 years ago before I met the Mrs, and yes its not as good as a Keeler but it was very handy. Im not sure what the laws in NZ are like towing the 30ft version though. But really a trailer sailer no matter how big is always a compromise?

But this Cat tour is making me drool, and heck when Im 60, dont I deserve what I can afford and have worked hard for?

Id like to think we could venture into some blue water cruising to the islands for winter and back to NZ for summer, is this a common venture for liveaboard kiwis?

Im looking into the idea of purchasing a boat in Europe and sailing it back myself with the family. Have done some maths and I think it will work out OK financially and make for a cool family adventure.

While I agree that most of the production boats are not built as well as a custom built NZ boat, they are still great boats that are built strongly and engineered well with a lot of very cool features that the older NZ built boats dont have. A huge amount of boat for the bucks.

In reality there are very few failures with euro production boats considering how many of them are out there. There are many 25+ year old beneteau's, jeanneau's and other production boats stil being use all around the world.

People used to say the same thing about Cars....... 

Just look at the Jeanneau Sunfast 3600 for example, showed its speed and durabilty in the RNI race (and many others) which is considered the toughest race in NZ. Had no problems at all and was pushed hard. Great boat and I was thrououghy impressed. Its for sale too by the way!

• Upvote 1

a think a lot of those 25 year old bendy's were only semi production, hence the reliability??

On my bucket list too, to buy a big Euro for an extended trip home, the ARC a must do. Got a few more ticks to do in the pacific in my basic kiwi sh*t box first though!

Ive been trying to learn a bit from the Ocean cruiser guys and the name Benders does come a lot as coastal cruisers not bluewater cruisers.

I guess that boat that young aussie couple bought, the bender 42 foot looks nice, but looks arent everything.

I actually dont know if I need a 40+ yacht for the upper NI and out to the islands in good weather, mid 30s might do?

Im seeing what guys are saying about build. But you really do pay a lot for an old NZ boat. I guess thats where negotiation comes in.

Id love a Cat, but in reality the idea of the yacht is to get me to spots I love on wind and then explore them on gas with my RIB. 

Being a big spearfishing nut I do like the idea of not having to spend $400 a week on Gas. Not saying there arent costs in yachts.

Id like the idea of sailing to the Galapagos etc but I dont ever see it happening. We have so many beautiful spots in NZ and the pacific.

not all  bluewater capable  cats are expensive,if you accept a few less unnecessary luxuries you can get a  fairly basic  38ft cat for under 100k that can take you wherever  you want to go , check the luckyfish video series of a Wharram Tiki 38 sailing  offshore. I might even be persuaded to sell mine.

not all  bluewater capable  cats are expensive,if you accept a few less unnecessary luxuries you can get a  fairly basic  38ft cat for under 100k that can take you wherever  you want to go , check the luckyfish video series of a Wharram Tiki 38 sailing  offshore. I might even be persuaded to sell mine.

Thanks for that, if you can wait 10 years lets talk then haha. I might actually buy in 5 and leave it moored for my holidays back in NZ.

Can you suggest some Cat brands for under $100k and what kind of age am I looking at?

The reason I like cats is simply the liveability and indoor outdoor flow feeling you get with them.

Ill check out those videos mate.

I think what Im really after is a blue water cruiser for New Zealand but also the pacific Islands and maybe even a trip to Hawaii then down to the Galapagos, the Mrs would love that being a double doctorate in Zoology (Herpetology and Ornithology).

So what size is the smallest I should be looking at?

I like this German cat for $150k. 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-1280859235.htm

Anyone familiar with balticat builder from germany? http://www.balticat.de/

Also looked at this article to get an idea of what makes a good bluewater cruiser.

http://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/design-and-technology/twelve-top-bluewater-cruising-boats/