Has anyone bought overseas and saved big $?

Size is irrelevant. If it is seaworthy then it can do it. Length will determine comfort and cost and your tolerance there is entirely up to you.

Yeah thats why I was asking the size question due to price, clearly you get a lot more modern yacht for a smaller size, but there must be a point at which a yacht becomes uncomfortable as a bluewater cruiser?

Im also thinking I can finance the boat in the next couple of years, and like I said use it for bluewater cruising when Im on holidays from Aus, or do the trans tasman thing and keep the yacht there ;-)

Thanks mate, those are good questions, the above is probably an example of what I am looking for.

I didnt even know there was push button masts etc, so no Im not an expert yet, just grew up sailing p class and optimist and always had a lazer. Then we had a trailer sailer. None of which was fancy.

Out of curisosity what is an example of electric mast and winche models? (never say never but I figure its one more electronics to go wrong)

Clearly the easier to control everything from the back is more desirable especially when we get older.

I saw that Bendy boat on youtube that couple was sailing around the world, I think its a 43ft Beneteau, La Vagabonde (the lucky devils just got sponsored with a $1m new French Cat, forget the brand).

Anyway their setup is  the kind of thing Im looking for.

I like the more modern interiors, really dont the old ruby red and lauquered wood look, mags me gag. Some of the newer young boats have nice curves inside, but they are more racing focussed so might not be suited?

Anyway, what models should I be looking for in a cruise boat of around $70k that would suit sailing around the BOI and up and down the coast to the Hauraki and outside of the coromandel?

Is 40ft overkill, would 32ft be comfortable enough?

Hi TwoSail

that boat (la vagabonde) is on the hard in Whangarei. I chatted to Riley & Elayne last month when they were here. They indicated they would sell it here or possibly raffle it off.

I suspect you will hear very soon their plans for that boat. 

Here is a list of the same model for sale (Cyclades 43.4) http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Beneteau/Cyclades+43.4

they are an interesting couple, neither having sailed before taking on a 43 foot boat. i kind of dont like the way they beg for money to keep their dreams going and admit to going into 5 star hotels to use their internet for free to upload their videos and read their books etc. i just feel their young and thats what young people do. but ethically i didnt enjoy some of the things they did in their videos. but hey nobody is perfect :-). but that new French Cat they are being given looks awesome. Right place right time. 

The guys making a lot of money imo on sailing on the net are Sv Delos, mostly because most of their video Icons are topless women lol. Sx sells. Perhaps something the Vagabond guys could take on for getting more money. haha.

i feel that boat was more an inshore design than one of the bendy offshore hulls that are often reviewed well. In saying that its a lot of boat for $100k. Ill have to research the model more and some reviews.

Im thinking if I go monohull, as i intend to spend most of my time on the water I will be single handed, things like control lines, auto helm, roller reef genoa etc, anything that makes single handed easier. clearly i will be island hopping as i like my sleep.

i know there are some people out there that sleep during bluewater cruising, but isnt that nuts?

Im starting to feel 36-42 feet is going to be about the right size, i know guys sail bigger boats single handed, I guess Ill get some more sailing under my belt in the mean time and make the call once Im ready to settle down and buy.

• Downvote 1

saw something last week about the top 10 money making sailing blogs

vagabonde was top at 330k plus per episode, delos second 250 odd k , so they should be able to afford that new Cat. There are heaps trying to bo the same thing and the average earned is about $50 per episode.

I don,t worry to much about what boat I will buy next , just see whats available and is good value, there is way more boats for sale than there is buyers and always will be.

good advice TL, and in 5 years my priorities might change. who knows I might want to buy a live aboard. the noelex 30 could be a good option in the mean time. i can park it at my brothers place. as I contract id say ill be in NZ 8 weeks a year.

Im wondering how hard refurbishing interiors is? i use to be into property development, i was a builders labourer while at uni so picked up a lot of stuff there and taught myself a lot as well. Tiling is probably the one thing I dont do myself, I cant stand even a slightl raised tile. I have pretty good carpentry skills. I think a lot of the older boats would only need modernising to my taste which would open up a lot of older NZ boats which the guys here are saying are built strong.

I also really like a covered Wheel cockpit. I guess that can be as simple as putting in a bimini/canopy? is there any way to convert a tiller to a wheel steer?

the thing i dont like about vagabonde is not just their ethics, but claiming how she is an experienced sailor (after never having sailed previously) and it takes a certain kind of person (i think its her ego that annoys me), also some of the aussie like mentality toward other cultures and lack of learning cultures before she arrives drives me nuts. Riley though I think is a cool dude, aside from his really, man on man moustache haha. I thought it was a glue on the first episode I watched. I think the chick is just really young and maybe its her lack of maturity that im picking up on. I like that Riley wears an actual dry cell spearsuit and doesnt complain about the cold like the chick, i think she needs to buy a suit, who goes spearing in 18 degree water and doesnt get cold after an hour?

i think there were a lot of other sailing videos before them, but few were begging for the dosh.

they have that other website outside of youtube where they ask for people to donate on. so they are getting multiple sources of charity. 

so I dont think they are short of funds like they claim to be.

I have never understood giving other people money to go sailing - I need every penny to get myself out there.

Hey look I totally agree, its not cheap. But I think some people on the net just like to live out fantasies on youtube. 

Personally I like to get out there and do it. But Hobby videos are good like 5 min videos people have put together like spearfishing etc. Always something to keep the juices going.

I also find it tacky begging for money and now they are being given a $1m Cat thats being paid by other peoples money that they are counting on.

I know they think they provide a product, but honestly its not worth the money they are getting for it and I just find the whole thing very generation y/z. 

The fact they readily admit to stealing peoples internet and using their facilities and then asking for other peoples hard earned money so they can live their dream for free, I find it a bit poor form.

I have full respect for Riley saving all his dosh and buying the original boat, but this new venture I find really distasteful. But hey its not my money and its not against the law (even if going into resorts and using their facilities is).

Im very seriously considering taking the advice on buying a NZ boat and spending 30% of my budget on renovating it to 2017 tastes. I can do a lot myself with my building and carpentry experience.

I guess the main thing is getting my eye on a good model to keep my eye out for.

Im not worried about being on the lean instead of a cat as I dont intend to be Sailing as often as I do being moored and spending my days spearfishing and exploring. And really is a days sailing on the lean really that bad, I dont think so.

I think something around 36-40ft is the right size for me.

Any tips on installations to making the vessel easier to sail single handed appreciated? 

Id much prefer a wheel to a tiller.

I might possibly put it on the hard in Aus and work on it over time as my down time hobby. 

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Ive found swing moorings around KeriKeri to be between $5-8k.

If you buy a NZ boat (in NZ) and wish to go to Aus, the boat will have to be Cat 1 before it leaves. Ie the work will have had to be done before she leaves - unless I have it wrong and you intend to buy a NZ boat in AUs and sail her home? The Tasman is a voyage that requires good planning, and a god boat, along with a healthy respect for the sea...

There goes my plans, not to say I cant buy an Aus boat or a NZ boat in Aus.

Has anyone found more satisfaction in refurbing a boat than buying new?

I think there is the potential money saved as well.

KM said - The big bonus is though you get want you want and you know your boat better than most other know theirs.

Amen to that - including the "still to do list" which is always bigger than most others for the same reason!

Are you refering to leg fatigue or what part of the ergonomics do you prefer?

Lots of things, although I suppose that a good under deck autopilot would negate most of them when using a wheel.

• Simplicity - one less complicated system to have onboard
  • The ability to shove it between your legs and do things easily with both hands (eat, trim, etc)
  • I've heard that it is easier to rig self steering with a tiller if the AP fails (eg bungy steering) 
  • With a tiller extension you can easily wander all over the cockpit to get comfortable, out of the sun, see around blind spots and so on.
  • You can easily fold it out of the way when at anchor to give more usable room in the cockpit.
  • I had a cheap autopilot and it only ever sailed ok. I would often rather steer myself, especially if there was much swell/chop which the pilot handled horribly.

I am a bit biased though and I wouldn't buy a boat without a tiller (Mainly because I could never afford a boat big enough to need a wheel). Maybe have a good play with both and see what suits you. 

continuing the thread drift

I have and still use both tiller and wheel, I also converted one boat to a tiller and am thinking of going back to a wheel, definitely prefer a tiller racing upwind but a wheel is hard to beat blasting downwind in a blow. A lot depends on the cockpit layout but it's pretty easy to wedge your foot under the wheel and sit down for hands free steering provided you have the boat balanced properly.

I wouldn't go cruising without a decent pilot, I barely steer at all over the christmas holidays, it sucks being tied to the wheel/tiller.

This jeanneau 35 is the ideal shape, and sailing system for me.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1283526629.htm

Is their a similar older NZ hull I could do up over time to save money and get the interior I want? Ease of access to the water is a big thing and like I said i like using a wheel over a rudder.

I mist definitely plan to insure it has auto pilot, basically everything I can possibly do to make single handed sailing as easy as possible.

Why are the Beale 33 cruisers considered a bad idea? (aside from tiller steer)

I was thinking a Farr 38, but just not sure if its too race focussed rather than easy going cruiser?

Easy enough to remove the wheel when anchored , or could be changed to tiller if it really bothered you.. looks pretty good value but you will get a boat like that inside your budget eventually,they made a lot of them. 70k is still a lot of money if you are trying to sell a boat you really don,t want and someone is going to take it away for you.  Some people hold on waiting for their price and spend more on storage than they eventually sell the boat for. Like the 10k keeler at the moment on trader, a truly motivated vendor will find a buyer, when they realise that there are things more important than an extra few thousand dollars.