Has anyone bought overseas and saved big $?

Whats wrong with Beale 33s? They seem very nice boats, great space for length and sail well.

Thats my question, the exact shape I want, easy access to the water at the stern, nice modern interiors.

Is there something structurally wrong with them? because someone earlier said they would steer clear of the Beale.

I also intend to do a lot of trolling for game fish off the back of the boat so Im going to need to think about how I control the engine once Ive dropped the sails to be able to back up on the fish etc. Ive always wondered why more people dont use yachts for fishing, they troll at the right speed, you dont spend $400 a day on gas. Ok it makes it hard with the sales but if you have all the sheets up the cockpit and can drop and lock everything I think its possible. I also know guys who marlin fish their 21ft tinnies one handed, so handling the engine must be possible. Also yachst have a lot more things sticking up etc, but Im sure there is a way to design things to be easier.

Has anyone ever seen a sail boat with outriggers for lures? ;-)

Easy enough to remove the wheel when anchored , or could be changed to tiller if it really bothered you.. looks pretty good value but you will get a boat like that inside your budget eventually,they made a lot of them. 70k is still a lot of money if you are trying to sell a boat you really don,t want and someone is going to take it away for you.  Some people hold on waiting for their price and spend more on storage than they eventually sell the boat for. Like the 10k keeler at the moment on trader, a truly motivated vendor will find a buyer, when they realise that there are things more important than an extra few thousand dollars.

I agree, what people are asking and what they will get are 2 very different things. I know Im a realist when I sell things, but one thing I have found since being back in NZ, people try to sell stuff on Trademe for as much or near as much as the new price, especially laptops and cellphones. maybe because they bought from a generic retailer and paid to much to begin with.

there is still the chance I end up working in NZ if the money is right, but if the economy drops it makes sense for me to go to aus and generally they pay more anyway, then the 10% super on top is not to be sneezed at. but i will miss NZ a lot.

We used to take the wheel off at anchor on previous boat. Till a 60 kn squall at 3 am and we dropped the key down the cockpit drain and had no steering.

Oh man I bet that was a good feeling. 

Tiller doesnt bother me terrible I just prefer a wheel. Either way one it will have an auto pilot on whatever I build/buy.

Im look at the beneteau cyclades 43 and aside from loving the accommodation, the actual sailing set up suits a lazy sailer.

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/1/0/47/120047_0_070320091856_1.jpg?f=/1/0/47/120047_0_070320091856_1.jpg&w=924&h=693&t=1481913855000

Halyard and reefing feeding back, lazy bag and lazy sails, furling genoa, genoa winches within reach, lots of lockers in around the cockpit, a nice wheel (im not sure if it comes with a simrad or similar, but clearly id install one).

So what is the main complaint, build quality?

So what is a NZ yacht of similar design but better quality to this model?

The Cyclades will be a lot more comfortable at anchor or in a marina than most NZ made boats for similar coin, the NZ made boat will sail a lot better.

The Cyclades is pretty much a motor sailor especially upwind. Depends if you like sailing or not really.

saw something last week about the top 10 money making sailing blogs

vagabonde was top at 330k plus per episode, delos second 250 odd k , so they should be able to afford that new Cat. There are heaps trying to bo the same thing and the average earned is about $50 per episode.

I don,t worry to much about what boat I will buy next , just see whats available and is good value, there is way more boats for sale than there is buyers and always will be.

Not quite right there. It was $330K per annum, and Delos $250K per ANNUM. Jeeze if it was per episode, I'd be learning video editing real fast...

The Cyclades will be a lot more comfortable at anchor or in a marina than most NZ made boats for similar coin, the NZ made boat will sail a lot better.

The Cyclades is pretty much a motor sailor especially upwind. Depends if you like sailing or not really.

To be honest Im less interested in the sailing technicality and speed than I am the journey, if that makes sense. So comfort and ease to sail take a much higher priority than speed and ability. I guess MotoSailer is more SailerMoto as I dont want to lose the ability to capture sailing and just be a glorified powerboat with a sail. Are all benetaus just moto sailers?

Haha, no comments on peoples money making adventure partnersThat $330k or whatever, is that just youtube or does it include their other begging website system?

To be honest Im less interested in the sailing technicality and speed than I am the journey, if that makes sense. So comfort and ease to sail take a much higher priority than speed and ability. I guess MotoSailer is more SailerMoto as I dont want to lose the ability to capture sailing and just be a glorified powerboat with a sail. Are all benetaus just moto sailers?

Haha, no comments on peoples money making adventure partnersThat $330k or whatever, is that just youtube or does it include their other begging website system?

The $330K was total income from U tube and Paetron. I wouldn't call it begging. You get a product for your money, just depends if you're interested enough. They produce good videos that take a lot of work. Personally I would rather enjoy the trip than spend all that time filming it but they are young and motivated and doing well. Hats off to them.

My experience with Euro boats is that some of them go real well upwind. Try getting past Outrageous Fortune (Beneteau) upwind in a blow! Kiwi boats tend to be faster downwind. It is really hard to beat the accommodation and interior on the Bendy boats and Jeaneaus.  Not many Kiwi boats come close.

If you like wheels, go for twin wheels. Easy walk through but you can still get outboard to steer. Maybe not quite as sensitive as a tiller but pretty close..

Yes the First series (Like Outrageous Fortune) are proper sailing boats and as such command a higher price, other ones such as the Oceanis and Cyclades are more geared toward the Charter/Marina hopper market. The problem is if the thing doesn't sail very well you will probably end up not bothering to hoist the sails a lot of the time so why not just buy a launch. (sail well doesn't necessarily mean fast it just means comfortable and well balanced under sail and doesn't need 20 knots to get moving).

well when they are asking please go to such and such site to support us, i think of that as begging. 

when you are 20 years old you are never going to learn what a beautiful thing it is to put in a few decades to buy something of value. like he did saving up for the first boat, so props to him. on the flip side i guess she is young and of the generation that want it now. i just think its a bit tacky, but hey if people wanna pay to see someone else motosail, i guess thats their right.

so is there anything in between something like the cyclade and a farr 1250 etc? something you can catch a small breeze but still have really nice interior etc?

If you buy a NZ boat (in NZ) and wish to go to Aus, the boat will have to be Cat 1 before it leaves. Ie the work will have had to be done before she leaves - unless I have it wrong and you intend to buy a NZ boat in AUs and sail her home? The Tasman is a voyage that requires good planning, and a god boat, along with a healthy respect for the sea...

If I've understood correctly, twosail is resident in AU.  If you're resident in AU you can register the boat there, which should remove the need for cat1 when leaving NZ?

so is there anything in between something like the cyclade and a farr 1250 etc? something you can catch a small breeze but still have really nice interior etc?

There are heaps of boats in that kind of size range and plenty more than just how they go in light airs to think about.  I assume you mean a farr 1220 as I'm not familiar with a 1250.  Maybe you should think about making IT an offer he can't refuse - I think his boat is a essentially a more comfortable version of a 1220.  But there are various boats in that size range - lidguards, whitings, mummerys, chicos, warwicks etc which are all capable and cruise well.  And as already said earlier in the thread there are the beneteau firsts (and bavaria match and jeaneau sun fast) which are the better sailing boats while still having the nice euro production boat interior.

sorry yes i meant 1220.

just something that can be sailed mostly from the cockpit that can sail well in conditions motosailers need their engines on and something with a nice euro style interior.

im still not against refurbing a NZ yacht, Im just not sure how best to go around making a boat single handed friendly, i mean i know the things that make sailing from the cockpit.

im actually trying very hard not to buy something now and learn to sail single handed, i thought a noelex 25 might make a cheap cruising hull to learn single handed with.

it seems there is no specific sail boat that makes a good cruiser.

well when they are asking please go to such and such site to support us, i think of that as begging. 

when you are 20 years old you are never going to learn what a beautiful thing it is to put in a few decades to buy something of value. like he did saving up for the first boat, so props to him. on the flip side i guess she is young and of the generation that want it now. i just think its a bit tacky, but hey if people wanna pay to see someone else motosail, i guess thats their right.

No. Begging is wanting something for nothing. These guys give you the videos in return. You are funding them to continue producing the videos. There is a heap of work in the videos so they are not wanting money for doing nothing. If the Paetron guys are prepared to pay for this, then I consider it a win-win situation. When I lived on board in the Med for 3 years, I wrote articles and sold them to the UK yachting periodicals. Helped the bank balance. I didn't consider this begging, and I also reckon that their videos are much more work than the articles I wrote. They put a heap of effort into their work. And no I don't support them financially, just watch the vids..

• Upvote 1

I agree. My wife wrote a number of articles for NZ magazines, mostly for fun the payment was minimal. When we were circumnavigating Fatty Goodlander was probably the highest profile cruiser/writer, we met him briefly in Lumut. It is way easier to "monetise" your cruising now with Youtube etc and good luck to those that do.

These guys give you the videos in return. 

This is true. But im refering to pleading for people to go to the site. We all have a point of view. I think its also things like going to first class hotels to steal internet and use their facilities that bugs me about the ethics, something they laugh about, little things like this I just dont find right. A lot of people PAY money for those facilities. I like what they are doing I just wish it was done with a bit more common sense and maturity. I dont personally think the videos are anything spectacular videography wise, no gimballing, no pans, zooms, just an SLR a GOPRO and a cheap Drone which they probably dont even realise the laws around flying. So its not what they are doing, its how that turns my stomach a bit at times.

Back to sailing single handed. Would a Noelex 30 be a better choice for when the Mrs does want to accompany me? Ive heard the Dagger is a better system/weight.

Also whats a list of some things you would do to a boat to make it as easy to sail single handed as possible?

This seems a good start http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1005-how-to-optimize-for-shorthanded-sailing.html

Keep In mind, in 10 years Im more than likely going to want a 10 year old Cat, but who knows maybe the romantic in me might go for a mono, but I know the Mrs preference and given her looks and being a nice person as well Id like to keep her if possible lol.

Another thing I need to learn is which is the right headsail to carry in bluewater, clearly you can take a couple but to cover every base (wind speed) is impossible. I was thinking a 150 Genoa when struggling to get the boat moving and a 90 Jib as the main headsail? 

Oh and another thing I have never used before, when sleeping, radar alarms.

Ive been watching this really experienced old guy on the net and he has an awesome set up, it picked up a large super yacht about 1.5 miles away and the alarm went off. I didnt realise they can be that precise.

What is the general rule around sleep? Should it be 2 hours sleep and get up and check everything, or do you sleep and rely on your radar system?

Be flexible. I don't have radar but maintain a continuous watch within 50 miles of hard bits. Outside that sleep as much as you can with regard to conditions and location (you will get no sleep in Gibraltar or Singapore, but Galapagos to Marquesas I was going to bed 8 hrs a night.)