Lisa Blair dismasted 895nm south of Cape Town

Not sure if any body is following Lisa but she was dismasted this morning gutted for her as she was on target to break the record of sailing solo around Antarctic.

MEDIA RELEASE: Australian Sailor Lisa Blair dismasted 895nm south of Cape Town

0300 AST Tuesday 4 April 2017 (1900 SAST) 
048:38:384 S 022:31:430 E

At approximately 0300 (AET) Australian sailor Lisa Blair issued a PAN PAN 895nm south of Cape Town when in 40 knot winds and seven (7) metre swell her boat Climate Action Now was dismasted after the port shroud broke in a knock down.

Search and Rescue out of Cape Town have been notified and will provide assistance if required.

Lisa is well and uninjured.

Lisa Blair was on her 72nd day at sea attempting to be the first woman to circumnavigate Antarctica solo and unassisted.

There is no further information at this stage.
Updates will be provided when available.

Media enquiries: media@twentiethletter.com.au

Ditto.  I had been following her progress every day;  what a shame.

There were ominous signs when a pad eye deck fitting that had the boom brake attached too pulled through her foredeck yesterday.   The pad eye was distributing the load through 4 x penny washers.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/586efd263a04114c6c14faba/t/58e25f33579fb35c698e1967/1491230520629/?format=750w

Ditto.  I had been following her progress every day;  what a shame.

There were ominous signs when a pad eye deck fitting that had the boom brake attached to pulled through her foredeck yesterday.   The pad eye was distributing the load through 4 x penny washers.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/586efd263a04114c6c14faba/t/58e25f33579fb35c698e1967/1491230520629/?format=750w

Doesnt look like much of a backing pad under the washers for a 50 footer.

Had a look wasn't a boom brake but a preventer line, never had much luck with these things myself as they seem to put a lot of load on things especially if the boom ends up in the water.

Ultimately unnecessary if you have running backstays surely.

Had a look wasn't a boom brake but a preventer line, never had much luck with these things myself as they seem to put a lot of load on things especially if the boom ends up in the water.

Ultimately unnecessary if you have running backstays surely.

Yes, my bad; it was a preventer line not a brake.  Interestingly enough she had broken the line on a number of occasions and there was a hint that she had recently replaced it with something stronger.

It has been a really interesting blog to follow.  I especially liked the entries about running the series drogue while passing Cape Horn and the following post about the retrieval.

https://lisablairsailstheworld.com/blog/2017/3/14/cape-horn

https://lisablairsailstheworld.com/blog/2017/3/15/and-here-we-go-heading-home

And interestingly, she noted that not having the preventer could lead to...

I could sail without one but then I am constantly risking the crash gybe which can de-mast a boat and cause all sorts of damage, so I was picking the lesser of the two evils.

That was the last blog entry before the dismasting.

I don't see how a boat with runners could crash gybe and lose the rig, seems to be a common occurrence on the Vendee boats to end up pinned with the boom on the wrong side of the runners while they sort things out can't remember a case of it causing the rig to fail.

Regardless she is a long way south so hopefully stays safe and can effect a Jury rig of some sort to get the 900 odd miles to cape town, the french antarctic islands may be an easier way to go but is there anyone there at the moment I wonder.