Do we need a watermaker in the islands?

In reply to Dr Watson's query our washing machine is an older versión of this Italian Candy unit

http://www.candy-domestic.co.uk/en_GB/appliances/wash-dry/washing-machines/-/catalog/4929091/aqua-100f-1-80

previous owners sourced it in Australia.

The wáter heating element has been disconnected to reduce current draw, a 1000W inverter will run it (I recall the current draw for the Water Heater is around 1300W so a 2kW inverter will easily run it with the element).

For a full cycle it uses approx 60 l of wáter. Quite often we will do a bucket wash then chuck the washing into the machine for a final rinse and spin dry.

A water maker is a must, this is from a circumnavigated woman's point of view. We started our world cruise on one boat which did not have a water maker. We cruised NZ to Thailand via Aus and Indonesia. Getting water was relatively easy but often a good part of a day was spent getting it from shore to boat as there were not many places to pull along side in Asia. The time spent transporting water or negotiating for it to be delivered could be spent on more enjoyable pursuits like swimming, diving, sightseeing relaxing etc etc. Where as those who had water makers produced water as they moved between anchorages. In a small boat you have to have several jerry cans to transport the water or if you are catching water you need to fill your tanks and cans, no good wasting a down pour. 

We then got a rush to the brain and sold our yacht in Malaysia and came back to NZ and bought another yacht and 6 months later started again this time with a water maker which came with the boat but was also on our must have list. 

Having a water maker around the world meant we did not have to go into marinas or onto rough docks to sometimes get dodgy water. We had an Open Ocean engine driven producing 65lph and it gave us very little trouble.

Also having plenty of water meant that laundry could be done on board even tho we did not have a washing machine. Some places like in the med the cost of laundry ashore was prohibitive, in other places where lots of cruisers gather it meant not having to queue for ages, often spending a day on the laundry when more enjoyable things can be done. Once again laundry can be done on passage no waste of shore time.

Kids and visitors can be a real drain on water, 

As for the Pacific there are very few places where it easy to pull up and get water. Catching water in the eastern part of Fiji is relatively easy but in the west which is a popular area to cruise there is very little rain in the season. The Yasawas is a lovely place to cruise and why spoil a great cruise by having to go back to Denerau or Vuda to get water.

Couples going cruising need to discuss the pros and cons of watermakers together sometimes a bit of comfort helps to get the crew, especially a female partner a little more interested in cruising. 

• Upvote 1

Jean, I don’t disagree that its nice to have, but its not a MUST. Unless you can afford it. We did very well, without one. We have had times where it would have been good, but not essential - in over 30,000 Nm in this current boat.

A water maker is a must, this is from a circumnavigated woman's point of view. We started our world cruise on one boat which did not have a water maker. We cruised NZ to Thailand via Aus and Indonesia. Getting water was relatively easy but often a good part of a day was spent getting it from shore to boat as there were not many places to pull along side in Asia. The time spent transporting water or negotiating for it to be delivered could be spent on more enjoyable pursuits like swimming, diving, sightseeing relaxing etc etc. Where as those who had water makers produced water as they moved between anchorages. In a small boat you have to have several jerry cans to transport the water or if you are catching water you need to fill your tanks and cans, no good wasting a down pour. 

We then got a rush to the brain and sold our yacht in Malaysia and came back to NZ and bought another yacht and 6 months later started again this time with a water maker which came with the boat but was also on our must have list. 

Having a water maker around the world meant we did not have to go into marinas or onto rough docks to sometimes get dodgy water. We had an Open Ocean engine driven producing 65lph and it gave us very little trouble.

Also having plenty of water meant that laundry could be done on board even tho we did not have a washing machine. Some places like in the med the cost of laundry ashore was prohibitive, in other places where lots of cruisers gather it meant not having to queue for ages, often spending a day on the laundry when more enjoyable things can be done. Once again laundry can be done on passage no waste of shore time.

Kids and visitors can be a real drain on water, 

As for the Pacific there are very few places where it easy to pull up and get water. Catching water in the eastern part of Fiji is relatively easy but in the west which is a popular area to cruise there is very little rain in the season. The Yasawas is a lovely place to cruise and why spoil a great cruise by having to go back to Denerau or Vuda to get water.

Couples going cruising need to discuss the pros and cons of watermakers together sometimes a bit of comfort helps to get the crew, especially a female partner a little more interested in cruising. 

Thanks for this detailed reply Jean, much appreciated.  I see where you're coming from about the logistics and of water dictating where we go.  I am a bit worried about the washing and missing the comfort of a hot shower as often as I'd like.

We can carry about 600L and I am the biggest water culprit, liking a quick shower every day.  I have to nag Iris (9yrs) and Robin (husband) into washing in anything other than saltwater.  It seems one of their cruising aims is to get a salty crust.

The power and maintenance put me off getting a watermaker for this first season (and costs, obvs).  We might see how we go with one season and then we could well end up like you, getting a watermaker before we go further afield.  

Very close to essential in my opinion, especially if your having others join you

I insist on everyone drinking 3ltrs of water per day in the tropics plus showering daily

Once you've had one you wouldn't go with out

This is going to cost me now I say this but other than the primary filter we haven't had to do anything and the only problem was that the capacitor on the 230v motor died mid Atlantic so we then could only use the 12v motor

We do use it all the time and never fill anywhere as I've been told that chlorinated water can kill the membrane plus if you use it regularly you don't need to pickle it

This is the type below, ideal if you have a genset as you can run it on either this or the main engine depending on the situation

http://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/ac-amp-dc-duo-watermakers/

Thanks for this detailed reply Jean, much appreciated.  I see where you're coming from about the logistics and of water dictating where we go.  I am a bit worried about the washing and missing the comfort of a hot shower as often as I'd like.

We can carry about 600L and I am the biggest water culprit, liking a quick shower every day.  I have to nag Iris (9yrs) and Robin (husband) into washing in anything other than saltwater.  It seems one of their cruising aims is to get a salty crust.

The power and maintenance put me off getting a watermaker for this first season (and costs, obvs).  We might see how we go with one season and then we could well end up like you, getting a watermaker before we go further afield.  

After cruising extensively with and without a water maker , admittedly 2 years in the Pacific with chn was pre watermakers, I would not go without now. Maybe for a few weeks but when living on board for months/years at a time comforts are important. The boat was home we weren't on a camping holiday. With chn it is important to have healthy food and water, and have enough water per day as Jon says, for drinking. Dehydration can be a real issue in hot climates. A few times when away with our chn in the Pacific we got really low with water but thankfully rain arrived but that doesnt always happen. We had arranged to get water in the Solomon Is from not a terribly reliable source but it was all that was available but fortunately the night before we were to get the water the heavens opened and we filled the tanks. 

For me now if we were to go off shore again a water maker is as important as a GPS/navigation program. But then everybody has different ideas what are needs and wants. 

Getting a boat ready for offshore sailing is full of compromises, and we were lucky to buy a boat with a watermaker. When we came back to NZ to buy another offshore cruiser on our list of essentials among other things were two heads and  water maker on a 45ft boat. We bought a 50ft boat with water maker and only one head!!!   

One thing to point out - with a watermaker, stored water is still essential. Keep your tanks topped up as opposed to only carrying what you need till you next plan on running the engine.

100L of water might sound like a lot, till your method of topping it up fails. Specially if you are weeks away from getting fresh water or being able to implement repairs.

• Upvote 1

The price point is also dropping for watermakers.  Membranes are cheaper and they are becoming more user friendly.  The type of water maker you get depends on how you plan to use it.  If you sail mostly and depend very little on your engine then get something like a schenker or spektra which has very low power consumption.  

If you are cruising in a caravan and have the engine on daily or use the engine to charge the batteries anyhow, then go for something motor driven.  

Get a watermaker with a built in flush mechanism if you can, they save you a lot in membrane replacements and make storage when not in use a lot easier.  I'd almost say do away with pickling the membrane if the boat is in the water.  

For us our focus is on less use of the engine, therefore a low power consumption design is critical.  That along with our lithium battery bank, a fair bit of solar and hydrogenerators should mean we don't need any backup from the engine.  This means a noiseless travel experience which for me is important.  We do have a generator however it's there for backup really.  The beauty with the lithium bank is that we can load it to take 230 high load stuff a lot easier by using soft starters.

However I agree they are not essential just a really really nice to have.  

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any experience with building their own watermaker. I have come across a few DIY guides to build one but don't know if it is one of those things that is worth trying?

I prefer to keep things really simple, and can easily get by on 5 litre per person per day , even if drinking 3 litres 2 litres is ample for washing, plus an efficient raincatching system with possibly a seperate tank for the cleanest drinking water and one that may be a little salty or suspect for washing. We have an emergency hand held watermaker that should keep you alive if things got really desperate, and would not rely on 1 tank but have a few 10 and 20 litre cotainers as backup.  I have had a boat with a watermaker but it had not been used for some time before we bought the boat and we never needed it so never tried to get it running.  However if I bought a boat with one that worked I would probably try to keep it going if it was not a hassle or expensive.

• Upvote 1

Could we cruise without one? Yes, but we don't. No maintenance issues, store the membranes when we aren't using the water maker, & just put them back on when we need it.

Plenty of places in Fiji & the islands where getting water is a pain, & it makes you independent.

Even in NZ if we're cruising for a month I throw it back on the boat. 

Plenty of water around today.

We did go through the same dilemma as clareb, there's a lot of expense there and regardless of whether its a kit or not it is quite a fiddly process.

But in addition to what I said earlier and after canvassing people who have cruised the area we're going to in the islands, It appears you can get a season which is wet and you'll get as much water as you want. And then you'll get a season which is dry and you'll be begging it from people who may not want you to have it. Add to that the quality of water you may well be getting , out of an islands water table, I don't like the sound of that.

And I think climbing into a bunk 'dry' after a saltwater swim during the day means you'll end up with damp bedding after a while. If you're spending a few months on then I think a 'compulsory' fresh water rinse is worth it.

So like Bad Kitty says above , you're buying independence really.

That clip together plumbing is the ducks nuts! I never even knew it existed. The watermaker is largely 10mm poly/semi rigid piping which easy to push through and run, push on terminals/ joiners etc. Because we now have the watermaker that means we can finally run a cockpit shower( which I always resisted for conservation reasons) Thats all 15mm of the same stuff but the cool thing was they have an adapter which converts from the old imperial buteline ( 16mm equivalent) into the 15. Sweet.

Many remote islands now have water filtration units and high quality drinking water. With 1000 ltr tanks and 2 of us, we could have a shower every day, and do about 6 weeks if it did not rain before a compulsory fill. As I said, this was never really an issue. IMO a water maker is a nice to have, not essential. As can be seen in this thread, others have other opinions (and likely more $ than me!)

Yes we thought we had a bit with 400 litres tankage, squeezed in another tank to get to 500 but like I said , felt it would be a nuisance and a concern so bit the bullet. Friends have 900 litres , possibly if we could fit that we would have not worried about the watermaker. Its done anyway , so we'll see for ourselves.

We'll keep the 500 this trip and if we become happy with reliability we could replace a tank with more storage or fuel. But we'll keep it for now.