Cat 1 certificate validity

IMO there is a lot of crap posted here about Cat 1 requirements.

A NZ registered vessel must be to Cat 1 and be certified to be issued clearance. Cat 1 standard is not much, if at all different, to what I do to prepare my boat for offshore anyway. The rules are based around years and years of data about what has gone wrong in the past, and what might help. In my experience, the Cat 1 inspectors are mostly good, experienced sailors who are not rule sticklers - if you have good reasons for something alternative etc. 

I do think though, $1000 for a 5 year registration, which serves no other purpose than a piece of paper to placate officials, is a bit expensive. Most other countries are similar costs now though

The $1,000 fee for just five years is bad enough. But it's the re-registration where they charge almost the same amount again, that is just out of this world idiotic.  I can re-register under the Jersey Flag for 10 years for £100 !!

My boat has a centre cockpit and my toilet inlet and my electric bilge pump feed out of and into tnem to get cat 1 i would need to poke 2 more holes in my boat as cockpit ddrains need to be exclusive ,wheres the sense in that.It amuses me that any old shitheap can sail coastal wwhich imho is rougher and tougher that most stuff you ever see offshore

Your toilet Inlet feeds out of the centre cockpit?? I guess you mean out of the drain. This is what I mean about the inspectors flexibility- while this is outside of the rules ( because you can't shut off a cockpit drain, and a failure of the toilet plumbing could sink you) if it's got a valve, and the drain is of sufficient size, it will almost certainly be overlooked. Unless the inspector is looking for a reason to fail the boat as he thinks either it, or its crew are not up to the trip.

Bilge pumps should go overboard, preferably via the transom. The whole idea is to put water overboard, not just move it. Again, if the cockpit is not too high above the waterline,(where adding weight decreases the vessel stability) and the drains are large enough etc, this to is unlikely to prevent a vessel getting cat 1. Talk to your local inspector- as I said before, they are normally reasonable.

I do , I think Matt is right on the money. Whats the problem, you should have 99 % of the requirements anyway and probably do, Its not a WOF check for your car.

My problem Is a preliminary conversation with an inspector who said "a plywood Spencer well it will be full of rot then". There was more but that was enough.

There's a problem with anecdotal evidence. One person or ten can have good experience but it proves nothing.

Why do I have to rely on someone being in a good mood on any given day?

BP, you should have made a formal complaint about that inspector to Ynz. I've had issues too, with one particular inspector, but generally they have been very good. You could always try another inspector.

OK, give us some specifics. A boat that or crew that has been knocked back and why.

I know of several vessels that were allowed to go, that I would not personally have left the beach on.

My dealings with the cat inspectors (Several Cat 1's and several other Cat 3 inspections) have all been good, bar one person. I have had nothing to do with YNZ for a long tme, other than the cat inspectors, so I cant comment.

There is no relevant data making blue water sailing any safer with Cat 1, than without. Boats with Cat 1 sink, people get injured and killed as happened last year, fact, live with it, we seem to accept motor accidents as part of the price we pay for mobility. Why should yachting be any different?

Consider that Most offshore sailors, outside of NZers don't have it, NZers once they leave NZ don't have it, and it will only be renewed when they return to NZ and wish to leave again, be it after 6 weeks or 25 years. 

The dangers of going offshore ensures than people will be drowned from time to time. It has always been so and always will be. Nature being nature will always rule, Man proposes, nature disposes.

I'm totally with Matt on this one

In the last ten years I've been involved with probably over 100 inspections both Cat 1,2,3 ans pre race checks

Never once have I seen an inspector that wouldn't accept a rational argument to work around a particular rule that didn't work in that situation

Farr 1104 ? Am I dead and you forgot to tell me, I've sailed one to Fiji

If your talking about stability index ? They do pass we got the calc done and it passed.

• Upvote 1

I am trying to get my ducks in a row to get Cat 1 for my boat... emailed Alex Simonis last night to see if he had any stability info on file and he came straight back to me with calcs and a GZ curve that show LPS of approx 122 degrees.

That's one more job of the list. Tick!

• Upvote 2

Nothing wrong with ply wood , Spencer was only one guy who promoted ply. ,most boats from the 70s 80s on were ply , I have been off shore three time in boats built of ply ,that inspector knows nothing of good ply construction , you could challenge him publicly , ply is still being used , there is a boat at the wade now 60 years old ply and never glassed below the water line still sound ,

• Upvote 1

I do think though, $1000 for a 5 year registration, which serves no other purpose than a piece of paper to placate officials, is a bit expensive. Most other countries are similar costs now though.

Don't get me started!  They have changed the fees - OMG they have reduced them!  By about $200.  Maybe they have listened to my complaints.... yeah right.

Just make sure you don't lose your Certificate of Registry (A4 laminated sheet) - that's $402!

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/ships/registration/fees-charges.asp#part_B

Yes if you buy a boat with the permanent ship reg then its important to change ownership within the time they allow to keep it active.Its valuable.

I have that and cat 1 right now and the whole cat 1 process was a doddle compared to just generally getting the boat ready to my satisfaction.

In my view the inspectors want you to go and they want you to understand the risk/ reward.They want to be assured you know what you're doing.

Don't treat it like a WOF, contact an inspector you've heard of or know of, and begin discussing the process well ahead of time, Its an extended interview more than its a checklist.

• Upvote 1

I think this article from Cruising Helmsman is relevant to this discussion. It would be good to see a distinction between cruising and racing requirements.

Good read CJ

I think something here along these lines would be much more appropriate to cruising yachts heading offshore

The current regs can seem overwhelming for the first timer

The book which presents all categories and then a checklist in one format is dreadful I agree. It might appeal to people with mathmatical/spreadsheet brains but I hated it. The best thing that could be done to demystify the process would be to be able to have individual forms for each category and none of this check appendix whatever stuff.

Mind you , compared to the advance notice where are you going where will you visit when are you leaving 9 page x 2 x etc etc forms you have to do for customs/NZ/ Tonga/ Fiji ,... maybe its just a test to see if you'll get through em.