Cat 1 certificate validity

To answer the original question, technically you have to have a date on the certificate and the leaving date is stated on it. In our case recently the Cat 1 inspection was done around the 28th of March so the date that was put on it was the 30th of April. We left the 1st of May for Tonga. It's nice and warm up here :-).

The other thing is that it lists the crew on the boat for the passage, in our case this changed again that was not a problem at all.

I don't know what the fuss is all about. If your boat is prepared for offshore sailing it should fly through Cat 1. Our inspection took maximum 1 hour and consisted of checking we had the gear that we said. The only thing I missed were emergency Nav lights.

The key is have a discussion, be prepared to work with the inspector, make it easy for them to do the job. Have the information they need I.e. Paperwork, have all the gear ready for inspection and that's it.

The bigger problem is inspector lack of knowledge on things like carbon fibre, modern boat construction, and advanced electronics. There is probably going to have to be a massive learning curve moving forward to work these new technologies into Cat 1 inspections.

• Upvote 1

Once you have cleared customs you have to go. Clearing customs is the last thing you do, and once you have you are officially not here.

Most of the "issues" people have with the system are rumour an innuendo, by people who have not actually done it, or not for years.

The customs officer won't "take" your cat 1 cert, but will want to see it - perhaps he wanted a copy? As stated above in this thread, cat one cents revert to cat 2 after the initial trip...

They don't take your cat 1 cert they take a photo of it and that's it. As IT says clearing customs is the last thing you do. There is just so much BS on here about Cat 1. I thought this was meant to be a resource rather than a bunch of BS.

Ok, update

I was wrong !

the immigration clearing officer now requires a new cat 1 cert if you clear out and have to turn back before they will clear you out again

A friend left on the weekend then decided to turn back as they had a floating floorboard problem.

But for $20 the YNZ inspector wrote out a new one and they will depart this weekend

I agree with John B, do some phone work first.

The second time we got cat one on the catamaran I phoned ahead to a guy in Opua.

He said "I don't know the boat so you will have to lift it so I can inspect the keels"

I explained this was our second cat one on that boat plus a Tasman crossing and the keels were sacrificial anyway, not structural.

He was adamant so we turned left into Whangarei and got the certificate there very easily.

Make sure you can tick as many of the boxes as you can.

And if you can't be sure to have a well thought out alternative plan of action.

I was looking at the YNZ Safety Regs for Cat 1 with respect to the Stability Requirements. For non-racing yachts, the inspectors may use their discretion which can be all well and good but from what I have heard not all inspectors are created equal and if they decide they want supporting evidence which may be pretty hard to come by for some older boats then what? Back to offshore registration?

Cat_1.png

if its a known design that has been offshore before, you should be fine - passed on historic basis. If the designer is still around, they should be able to give you a GZ curve - I emailed the Farr office, theey sent me one in a few hours, no charge. :-)

I reiterate what I have said here before. Give me some examples of boats that were stopped going. Especially cruising boats.

Also, talk directly with an inspector. Don't take 2nd hand gossip on here as fact, most of it is crap. If you don't get what you want, try another inspector till you find one you like.

People are people and boats are boats - no two of either are the same, so its virtually impossible to write regulations to cover every vessel, and every circumstance.  Therefore the inspectors are experienced sailors who have, and use, their discretion. Yes, there are some less flexible, or less knowledgeable in certain areas than others. For example, how many really understand the very latest composite construction strengths/weaknesses compared to say - an old ply schooner???

Again IT is right show the examples of boats being stopped.  What I see here is a lot of "I heard from a mate" stuff.  The reality is that by saying stuff that may or may not be factual it just makes a good situation worse.  I can tell you based on fact the following.  I was in an anchorage yesterday with 4-5 other kiwi yachts in Tonga and we all had different inspectors who had different things that for them was a hot point, and of course it's boat dependant.  

For instance we don't have a working jib but we do have a good furled No3 and a storm jib - acceptable for our yacht easily driven etc etc by one inspector but someone else's boat was not acceptable given the number of crew experience, type of yacht etc etc.   CO2 fire extinguishers are not allowed in new Cat 1 but some inspectors this year allowed them, some did not.   

I've done 5 Cat 1's all have been easy as long as you have your paperwork and have made effort to understand the requirements and if you have something that does not meet code then have a convincing argument why you should do it the way you have done it.