Putting a competitive Paper Tiger together.

Its completely dismantled and I want to rebuild into a boat that will perform well.

My knowledge of what I should do on PT fit out is fairly limited. 

I am picking foils ,main and running rigging is where the money is gonna go but not sure where to start with these upgrades.

Plus I need a mast, this ones snapped. 

Been a while since I was onboard Crew.org but I recall there were a couple of PT sailors around a few years ago.

Plan to have a crack at racing this summer, so if any one out there can point me in the right direction for advise on set up that would be very cool. 

Gary

Yep that is I, Mini 40 and everything marine related has been in a holding pattern for 3 years now, moving home and some lengthy and challenging projects got in the way of the important stuff like mucking around on boats...

But I am getting some own time back now,  and will complete Mini 40 moulds plus PT starting right about now.

Come in Sloop.

He's a PT driver.

Retired now sold the boat 3 - 4 years ago, neck issues.

Hull weight less than 53 kg to be competitive.

Standard mast section but different forestay setups

Sails Norths Lintons Doyles Mark Orams is using a north's string sail.

Foils long skinny ones someguys are using A class boards.

Foils up & down controls to each side

Mainsheet setup either from foreward or from the track aft.

Traveller control as per the mainsheet.

Cunningham and kicker to the sides on a continuous system

Kicker well there are difference troughs about this.

Fleets in Auckland, Napier New Plymouth and Wellington have the biggest fleets.

Thank you very much SloopJohn, great info to start with.

Very sorry to hear about you having to leave racing behind, that is a very hard thing to live with in my personal experience.

Unbelievably you are minutes from where I live,thought I was all alone out in the provinces.

Any chance we could catch up and we could discuss PT's in more depth?.

I was planning on joining a local club to sail but not sure which one yet, don't know anything about them and I have been finding that sailing club websites through out NZ are very poorly maintained with lots of missing links and a lot of info no more recent than 2013. 

Haven't given sailing away totally, I've taken up radio controlled sailing again racing a IOM.

Is that a trapeze, they where very popular with the teenage boys at Torbay Yacht Club back in the 60's

I didn't think PT's are sailed at Waiuku but there are several racing at Howick, my brother gets his bones together now and then and gets his PT out, 

Mark Orams sails at Torbay and I believe he starting to get a group together up there.

Iam sure we can find a table at the "Village" and catchup.

Very cool, I love RC boats and tinker with them occasionally as well.

Its my old man on the wire, pic taken 1968 in Tamaki estuary, on PT # 17 he built with his mate.

Part of the reason I am pursuing my own PT ambition.

Clarks yacht club beach might be a go, I think they are meeting next Sunday so though I would take a drive over and talk to some members.

Drive past the Village twice a day so for sure I could talk myself into stopping in there to catch up with you, some advice from a old hand at PT set up would be fantastic.

I'm guilty of not updating a sailing club website, probably one you checked.

Clarks beach have several cats but from memory they were mostly surf style. I don't recall them being overly competitive either, but that may have changed.

Going back a few years here's what I can recall about pt setup...

Alcan mast section from the assn seemed to be preferred, and quite well priced. The section has to be sealed, including the rivets.

As above, skinny boards at the back if the cases, fill the front ends.

Elliptical rudder blades were preferred over rectangular ones.

Back then the main and traveller came from aft on most boats. Twin tiller extension allowed you to keep the weight forward in the tacks.

Keep it light, you only have 100 feet of sail to keep you moving

The current masts are a JT section out of Wellington thru the association, a with a carbon fibre internal sleeve.

The last sleeve I got was from Kilwell in Rotorua, called in and selected the tube i wanted, they reduced the od and put a layer of fibreglass on it to eliminate the fuzzing between the ali & carbon.

As madyottie said they need to be airtight.

I just found that when trawling for info on the interweb first stop was Yacht clubs involved in Dinghy sailing and most sites were really badly maintained, even the Australian sites, hit a link and there's a dead url, hit another link and the gallery is empty, hit a link on tuning a PT and you find an article written in 1980  etc..... The NZ PT Org site is the best I found but even that was not a friendly site to navigate, I am sure these are all maintained by volunteers and I know how hard it can be to find time to update sites so am not trying to give the clubs a hard time.

Most sites have very good home pages, just whats in behind them is lacklustre. Its a shame as if you were a newbie wanting to find out about local clubs and wanting to get into sailing then the sites lack a kind of wow factor that would make a young fella go, "awesome I want to be in amongst that, looks way more fun than my playstation"..but this is really a subject for another thread.

So about the masts, if I track one down second hand how do I know if I am buying a modern  JT section?, I cannot find any section info on the Pt org site.

SloopJohn..the purpose of the carbon sleeve is to reduce mast breakage or is it to stiffen mast so you can run a flatter main?, more power, improved pointing in stronger winds? 

Ali sleeves are still used but carbon sleeves are lighter.

The sleeves are used for reducing the possibility of breaking the mast above the gooseneck in heavy air gybing, also reducing the bending between the gooseneck and the hounds, and still allowing the top section to fall off. 

Thanks Sloopjohn, 

Guy on trade me has a couple of PT masts, one has external sail track and other is tear drop shape with internal sail slide, is the tear drop one likely to be a current mast section like the PT association sells?

I know it's very short notice, but Waiuku Yacht Club is hosting the Manukau Shield regatta tomorrow Sunday 28th.    There should be a few cbyc boats in attendance. Start time 11:55am. Could be a chance to check out whats around.

I'll likely be scaring the rats away and wiping the spiders out of the old Laser. 

Could be interesting after 18 months off the boat and piling on far too many kilos.

Cheers for that, just got the heads up on that event yesterday.

Tomorrows plans are up early for Day 1 of Elimination series then a 15 minute drive to Sandspit road.

Was going show up around 10.30 and take a look see.Looking forward it!!.

Cheers