AC day 4

So, another day, another win by NZ by umpire call. Right call this time too.

I guess the naysayers among us (me) were wrong. These races are not sailing as we know it but are packed with action and pathos.

TNZ showed good speed today which enabled them to get close enough to pick up the penalty. Kudos there.

Its a bit unfair to call it a win by umpire. Was an obvious port starboard, Artemis too close, only just though.  In contrast to yesterday, NZ looked good uphill, slower downhill, whereas yesterday the opposite seemed to be happening.

Stressful race to watch.

Was very surprised by the loss of artemis to the crash test dummy.

Agree with clipper, the penalty made no difference at all in that race. Has it even been confirmed that there was a penalty?

The boys are showing some great pace in the lighter airs!

To clarify, I didn't intend to suggest that TNZ needed the penalty as they chose the lay line to perfection, merely that they appeared to get one. Also Can't explain why Artemis crash landed that last gybe other than a slowdown penalty, it was uncharacteristic otherwise. Of course, it didn't matter because they had been passed.

Comedy at the press conference.

Journalist to Spitball - Jimmy, we saw someone pedaling behind you today...

Spitball - 'pauses', oh yeah it's just this hybrid system we've developed bla bla...

https://youtu.be/aimY0BVt1Dg

Be a brave man that bets against every boat having the bike system next time the cup comes around.

just watched the replay - doesn't appear from the graphics that a penalty was awarded.  Is there some way to check this. I see a few of scenarios.

1. TNZ did not bother protesting as they knew they had it in the bag - Artemis just gave up on that gybe after the mark also

2. TNZ did protest - was given but imediately rubbed out because there was already a delta of more than two boat lengths after the incident

3. TNZ did protest but umpires did not deem a penalty

Do the graphics indicate if a penalty has been "called"?

If it's 2. above then it does seem like a slight flaw in the application of the penalty rule - while TNZ were 2 boat lengths ahead, that was a consequence of their superior play rather than Artemis being penalised for a foul.

Bloody American coverage frankly is just sh*t as is the Virtual Eye - why does it take most of the day to put the Virtual Eye replay up on the website?

Agree on the coverage. When Oracle started having problems with their wing, the commentators kept repeating that is was just the zip having come undone. Even when it was obvious that there was a problem up at the top of the wing they made no comment about it nor attempt to get some footage.

I get that they are paid by Oracle but it doesn't change the frustration factor.

Has anyone heard what the issue was?