Fender Material

i used 70mm red fire hose to make a fender for my dinghy ,  folded the ends and put a car valve in and inflated to about 3 psi , no leaks and a 5m long fender

How did you attach it to the gunnels? I used plastic hose from Bunnings and used SS screws into aluminium gunnels - has last more than a year so far.

i used 70mm red fire hose to make a fender for my dinghy ,  folded the ends and put a car valve in and inflated to about 3 psi , no leaks and a 5m long fender

That's a good idea.

Forgot to add .. I want to make an inflatable fender.

KM also sells fenders. OK, those things a tad more pricey, but not hugely so and I really don't know how you would make one quite as strong any cheaper. I have seen them made from heavy reinforced PVC fabric, but you need to be able to seal the seams. The best way to do that is heat seal fusing them together, but you need special equipment to do so.

How did you attach it to the gunnels? I used plastic hose from Bunnings and used SS screws into aluminium gunnels - has last more than a year so far.

I just lashed it every 600mm or so drilled small holes in the gunnel and used thin cord, adds a lot of bouyancy if the dinghy should get swamped too. Hose was free , valve was free so total cost was not much at all. sealed it by simply folding and clamping the ends with ally and 2 bolts.

Sorry, I should have been a more specific, I want to make an inflatable fender to go around a Zephyr so I don't bash it.

Kinda like the tubes on an inflatable dinghy.

I can sail into it and from it - bit like a dock. 

Buy / Aquire an old inflatable dinghy with the floor ripped out. Remove the transom and floor completely and your done?

I'm assuming you mean so you can take the zephyr as a dinghy behind a keeler, but don't want the zephyr to bump the keeler when it's not being sailed?