Cruising the coast sailing engineless.

Guest shane

Someone once said to me, "Cpt Cook never had an Engine" and my reply was, "yeah well if an engine existed, I bet he would have had it installed. And I bet the sailors rowing the Boat towing Cooks ship into some harbour would have like one too.

very handy those mechanical things,when on a leeshore at 2.00am,turn the key and away,particularly as Shane is looking at sailing up the  coast,if he goes west and sleep prevails and awakens to the sound of breakers would be nice to have some reserve power

• Upvote 1

Being reliant on an engine is also bad seamanship those little buggers only need an injector to crack or a bit of dirt in your fuel and they wont go,if you have a sail ready to raise at all time and an anchor ready to go you may save your ship.i see people motoring into there berths with sail ccvers on and no anchor ready usually racers and i shudder.

Being reliant on an engine is also bad seamanship

And yet very experienced Sailors have gone aground on lee shores because their engine has failed and they could not sail away from the shore.

sailed in to hooks bay in a nw 18/20knt nw anchored in front of the house,very comfortable until 4.00am when the wind dropped and swell ran in to the bay and became very uncomfortable rolling away and swung towards the shore,very grateful for my diesel.Doubt I could of sailed due to the swell with little wind.more than likely pushed ashore.

And yet very experienced Sailors have gone aground on lee shores because their engine has failed and they could not sail away from the shore.[/quote now they are more experienced and will leave themselves more searoom eh]

now they are more experienced and will leave themselves more searoom eh]

Well actually, one particular fellow I am thinking of, lost his Boat. We here were all shocked at what took place. And I am pretty sure he started off a long long way off the NZ West Coast. His Boat was washed ashore and broken up. He made a short guest appearance on here with a brief story of what happened.

Can someone with a better memory than me tell the story???

there was this guy

10 years ago off port waikato in a newick val

post-50708-0-94637500-1358867028.jpg

Lindsay Wright, 52, of New Plymouth, believes it may have been sleeping and his trimaran accidentally ran over it while he was in bed.

The yachtie says he heard a crack and noticed water on board and was then face to face with the 10 metre long mammal.

After the initial shock he says he got a good feeling from the whale, as if it was trying to apologise for unintentionally wrecking his boat.

He was relieved he had been plucked to safety but he watched in disbelief below as his new $38,000 trimaran, Loose Goose, was engulfed with water after the encounter with the pod of playful whales.

http://tvnz.co.nz/content/955526/2591764.xhtml

being leadless

it washed up in raglan

was bought as a wreck, patched up + sailed on to coromandel

another trimaran, the tolu vaa

bit off more than they could chew manukau to bay of islands

surfed to safety at piha

pulled ashore by lifeguards at high tide

waited for the weather to clear 

continued on

img276.jpg

http://www.piha.co.nz/the-story-of-the-tolu-vaa/

then there was the round the world monohull solo sailor

who left nelson bound for auckland

ignoring the locals warnings of a strong westerly weather pattern

so spent 3 sleepless nights fighting to keep off the coast

said it was the worst seas + weather of his entire trip

+ 2 years ago, but further south

the german farmhand lost with his raven 26 + 2 passengers, in fiordland....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10045483/Catastrophic-event-cause-of-yacht-foundering

but treated with respect in a well found boat and a competent skipper 

the vast majority make it ok

First hand experience of no engine yesterday. Sucked a plastic bag into the cooling water intake. It was a long sail home with next to no wind. More or less becalmed for a while. Fortunately the tide was going the right way, but I can see how easy it might be to get into trouble without the iron Jenny working. Bag removed today and all seems well despite having boiled the freshwater system.