Auckland-Noumea

I like the sound of being somewhere warm next winter, hell of a party shaping up too. I have spoke to friends in Melbourne who are planning to do the Oz Noumea which starts at the same time. Mostly average 40 footers from there by the sounds of things.

I am planning to run another Offshore Medical Course prior to the race next year. I'll liaise with Sally and Suellen. 

Once date is set I'll let you all know

All welcome to attend

Cheers

Dr Dave

Hypothetical question only. Don't have the time nor money for offshore escapades, unfortunately. Probably why there are so few 30ft cruisers competing in these races now. It would cost more than the boat is worth to get to cat 1.

its because the people who issue cat 1 also sell the courses necessary to get the crew up to speed, irrespective of their offshore experience, theory in a pool counts for more....

little segregation of duty or revenue

Am I reading this right? Get the boat up to Cat1,so now I need a crew who has done approved courses to go offshore or is that only for racing?

one thing jump from a boat in to raft in swimming type operation,but middle of the night when sh*t hits than it would be a different story,

what ever happened to the days where one set off and just did it?(after clearing customs etc).

Do you to prove to be efficient in navigation?(another course i suppose)

took a group of scouts to a wave pool then when the waves started ask them to put lifejackets on,just to prove appoint as to why they need to wear them,I think out of 15 only 1 got it on.

its because the people who issue cat 1 also sell the courses necessary to get the crew up to speed, irrespective of their offshore experience, theory in a pool counts for more....

little segregation of duty or revenue

Ah bit of a stretch there, the course people are quite separate to the inspectors and YNZ.

Its funny and sad that back in 2007 I took my boat into the pacific with a cat one certificate, if I went agin now with the same crew, many who have 10,000's nm's.

We would have to get more theory to satisfy the pen pushers, yet you can climb Mt Cook without a climbing certificate.

I can register my boat in South Africa for 545 rand.....  if I go again, I will be at cat 1 level safety wise and flying a SA flag

Chariot

Not sure what your question actually is. With a 30 ft boat it is always a call to do the AKL to Noumea or the RNI or any offshore esp in involving the Cook Strait. A great and seaworthy boat with a good crew with the right safety requirements, experience and favourable conditions - no reason why not unless rules exclude. So anticipating that your question might be what’s involved from Cat 2 to Cat 1, the answer is not much. There are some additional crew safety requirements, some additional electronics but the major would be whether you and boat and crew are ready to take on the challenge. The safety at sea, Dr Dave’s course on offshore med emergencies are fun and part of the process. The rest lies with you and crew and boat. One of our friends did AKL to Fiji in an older 30ft boat. They had it hard, but they made it. They were prepared and met the safety regs. Having just been through the CYCA Sydney to Hobart regs, and having done the AKL to Fiji race, Akarana have their heads screwed on. So their rules are reasonable. They don’t require you to have an SSB when a Sat phone is the latest tech. Not sure of their rules on waterline length. At the end of the day, it’s up to you to meeting the rules and then the weather being favourable for a long haul offshore. And no, the requirements can’t possibly be more than the value of your boat unless you haven’t met Cat 3 or Cat 2 at any point. A good crew will be motivated to meet their own costs and even help you out with what’s needed to get everyone there. Biggest considerstion is insurance. Ask for a reasonable contribution of raw costs.

Keeping it all in balance it's not unreasonable really considering all the tax dollars that go into rescue each year.  I found the courses informative and useful, even if you are a professional and have many miles you can be useful on the course with experience and assisting those who don't.  

I don't think YNZ are killing this it's more just a lack of people wanting to do it.

I suspect a lot of the crews on the 50's will be compensated for their services, it is the Corinthian sailors that have disappeared pretty much. Mainly due to family commitments and other less time consuming pursuits.

Don't know what the answer is but I'd bet if suddenly 5x 30-36 ft boats turned up another 5 could be convinced.

Maybe we need a wealthy benefactor to buy half a dozen Figaro 30's and put crews on them.

For us it was the cost of this race would be about the same as the RNZ which gives us a lot more racing and against similar boats so no contest really.

I mostly agree willow, but there are so many regulations and requirements it all just builds up into the ‘too hard’ basket. The safety at sea course one f&cks me right off. Good idea to do once. Or have had a lot of experience. But last time i sat in a room for two days and i will have to again next year and learnt precisely zero. F&ck YNZ and stupid sh*t like that.