Nice looking hard dodger on small boat-difficult (impossible) task

I was referring to the cover of the slide hatch. The reason why because at the moment it is screwd on and I want to fiberglass the dodger all around, including the par under the middle window. So the hatch still be operational.

That's what I'm talking about. On my boat it is screwed on. I think I have to remove it, clean it and I'll glue it on permanently. Maybe I'll cut it in half (under the dodger) so I'll be able to access to the back end of the rail if needed. It was good for 40 years and I don't think anyone touched it since new. I think I'll take a very little risk to do I.

I'll see tomorrow. I already moved the main sheet attachment on the boom aft, so I gained about 100-150 mm that direction and will lower it by 50 mm. The final color also will change the look so I think it will be enough, at least appearance wise. Other than that it will provide enough shelter as the companionway (hatch) completely covered, so I'm on target now. Based on my new experience, I may going to sew a fabric attachment which will be removable and that will cover the complete opening  on the back side of the dodger when not in used to protect from uninvited flying creatures if you know what I mean. Maybe a split on the middle with zipper so we can use it when on anchor and the weather is too wet or cold. I don't want to extend it too far back because it has no full headroom so the space under the overhang have a very limited use anyway and I really like the volume of the cockpit. Here is the meaning of the title.. the size of the boat makes it difficult. On a larger vessel have more freedom to reduce compromise but hands are tight on a small one. Anyway I seen an interesting solution on Trademe, a 28 footer, Roberts I think, where they went to the other way, they made the dodger completely functional (even with doors on the back side) and seems to be full headroom. Looks not too bad but I'm afraid it has more compromise on the sailing capability which is definitely not my intention to do.

So the hard work starts today afternoon. I'll post pictures about the progress.

Thanks, adhesion is 3M VHB (for acrylic, I have to check the number) unfortunately the specific tape was available only white and MS for seal. I tried this method one of my cabin window and works pretty well so far. The tape could be a little bit thicker, to absorb imperfections a bit better, but still about 80% surface in contact. 

20170823_153028.jpg

Great progress over the weekend, unexpected issue withe the original non skid on the cabin top held up a little bit. The non skid on Nova is molded, so I have to spend lot more time to sand it back than I expected. Anyway here i'm now.

I lowered 25mm and moved aft 150mm. I'll be happy with that. 

20170924_145111.jpg

Two weeks has gone. Today is splash day. I couldn't believe how much work involved, not because of the new addition, mainly because my boat wasn't in very good condition. I had plans but I needed to do it now. Just briefly.... re-arrange the running rig, new hardware and lines, cabin top paint including cockpit (not complete), remove teak from seats (200 holes less), replace the remaining windows (five left after the last haul out, 25 holes on each frame...filled), re-do the nonskid as the original wasn't in a good nick (tiny holes everywhere) and wasn't effective anyway, install new front hatch replacing the original fiberglass odd shaped leaky one.

All job done, unfortunately I had no time to install the new stacpack but I'll do it in the following week. I also got a new 100W solar panel with matching controller which is not installed yet, but again sooner than later.

So installing new dodger shouldn't take that long, 10-15 hours top.

Picture will come once Waimanu on the water again....

I've done it. We spent our first night on board right after relaunch. Rain, not much wind so I tested all new fittings, windows and hatch. Dead dry.

That's what I expected. Here is a short video and a picture on the floater right beside another 29 footer.You could argue the color but I like it this way.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AneyPsbS4F7RuRLD3

20171007_090846.jpg