Stack-pack Sailrite kit vs source parts locally

A common way to attach the lazy jacks is to a batten in a sewn sleeve/pocket along the top of the stack pack. This is how my one is done. I can provide a pic if it would help?

I had a quote for a stack pack on a 38 ft masthead yacht, its about $1800 with sunbrella.

Doesn't sounds awful, but that is way more expensive what I considered to spend on it initially, even I need a smaller unit. Just for the curious do you know the key dimensions (boom length, sail height on the mast track when it is down)?

I disagree. It was the second best thing I fitted to my Boat. In a strong wind, can drop the main on my own in seconds and rush back to take care of something else and when I get onto the mooring or where ever I am headed, I can the go back and tidy the main and zip the pack closed. I hear what you are saying re the lazy jacks. But the lazy jacks should be the same either with or without the Bag, so the issue is likely in how they are set up. I have some bungee on the LJ lines up the mast and when I let those main lines go, the bungee pulls the LJ's into the mast.

A well made Stakpak is not a cheap item and needs to be well made in order to be simple to operate,  but they certainly make sail handling easier when combined with LJs and full length battens. Our mainsail is approx 48sqm and is easily raised and stowed from the cockpit - the only reason to go to the mast is to tuck the head in and close the zip.

IMG_3230 2.JPG

The underside looks like this.. there are battens across ways to hold  the base of the cover open and keep the LJs apart.

IMG_4152.jpg

And heres the top view.

IMG_4159.jpg

Hi,

An option to ponder possibly, is what I did to my previous yacht (Beale 37 Entropy) many years ago

I got the rigger (Reef rite in Kerikeri who were excellent) to weld some 1" tube both sides of the boom to create a park bench. It was simple and relatively cheap to do

I attached the lazy jacks to the tube  (ran then forward when sailing)

With an external track and bat cars it meant I could easily hoist/lower and sail her single handedly

Cheers

Dr Dave

I disagree. It was the second best thing I fitted to my Boat. 

What was the best thing you fitted to your boat?

On the stack-pack question, what do you do with it while sailing? My main question is around it flapping and driving me insane.

Second attempt. I followed the instruction from Sailrite as a guide to plotting, which was quite over sized in my case, because the sail sits very high on the mast due the great clearance between the boom and the end of the mast track. Version one looked ugly, also had quite a bit of slack and was flopping a lot. I trimmed the bottom (400mm on the front and 0mm on the other other end) and this is how I ended up with. I was planing to make the front cover with a hood to cover the tip of the sail, but actually I found another solution (while I typing this post) I can lift the boom on its track roughly the same amount as missing on the top. It is a bit of work every time, but I have to do it when I stow it for a longer period not every time for example on a weekend or overnight trip. I'll check it later this week. Anyway, thanks for help from members, with tips and suggestions, I'm kind of happy with the result and a very few thing on it what I would change (on the next one).

Stack-pack.jpg

What was the best thing you fitted to your boat?

On the stack-pack question, what do you do with it while sailing? My main question is around it flapping and driving me insane.

Best thing I did was disconnect the stack pack from the lazy jacks because it just was unacceptable flapping around there while sailing.

So what we have is a bag that lives on the boom inside the jacks. we just roll it and tuck it in a bit each side and it disappears along the boom.

drop the sail as usual inside the lazy jacks , shake the cover out and zip it up  no problem. No wear or chafe  issues, must be close on 5 years old now.

I'll tell you for free what they don't tell you about stack packs though. They have a zip along the top and rainwater accumulates like you will not believe. The rainwater produces slime in your lovely sail if you leave it for a few weeks, winter say.. So its worth putting a lot of extra effort into getting that flap oversized and well overlapped to mitigate that. I have to top my boom up when we leave the boat just to beat that problem.

I have not much flapping, even in fresh breeze. In short run, I'll leave it on, possibly when I go for longer trip I can lower it and tie to the boom. I'll see. Water ingress, hmmm possible but I'll try use the boat more often than a few weeks.