foiling monos for AC confirmed

I would thought that the development we hade made with foiling , and winning the cup after years of trying and millions later we would keep that development going .but no we go back to mono hull , , until we loose it again then back to cats . only 32 months to go , we have to design a boat ,build it and try it , then train up some sailors to sail it , then spend millions on a place to have it and others ,then hope the competition offer to challenge it ,government don't want a bar of it or English can't see it as being any good and won't open the cheque book up , , Blake tried to make it an even event , the winner makes the rules that's where it is , it needs a set of rules the deed of gift ,and the original winner yacht club to hold the rules , and not allow winners to change the cup to suit them selves ,it was a race with mono hull boats with certain size measurements , stick to it ,

It was a condition of Luna Rosa helping us this round apparently. I didn't know they actually did that much for us.

They gave us a huge helping hand in their foil autopilot system. It was a totally automatic foil control system.

It wasn't allowed to be used but ETNZ figured out a system by placing a screen on top of the Autopilot display for Tuke to manually match what the Autopilot said. 

I would thought that the development we hade made with foiling , and winning the cup after years of trying and millions later we would keep that development going .but no we go back to mono hull , , until we loose it again then back to cats . only 32 months to go , we have to design a boat ,build it and try it , then train up some sailors to sail it , then spend millions on a place to have it and others ,then hope the competition offer to challenge it ,government don't want a bar of it or English can't see it as being any good and won't open the cheque book up , , Blake tried to make it an even event , the winner makes the rules that's where it is , it needs a set of rules the deed of gift ,and the original winner yacht club to hold the rules , and not allow winners to change the cup to suit them selves ,it was a race with mono hull boats with certain size measurements , stick to it ,

Err -- except I believe TNZ still has Guillaume Verdier -- one could say he has some experience with foiling monos.

Yawn

• Upvote 1

We would not have even been in Bermuda without Pradas help or Matteo for that matter, and I for one am looking forward to the flying (sort of) monos . You do not need to be doing 40 knots to have good racing, And a full crew of yachties being active sailing the boat will be great.

Everyone is assuming these new mono's will have lead on board.

The thing about the AC is evolution on steroids. I wouldn't assume they will have lead on board. Weight is the antithesis of foiling.

How many ways are there to create righting moment?

Whats to stop using a wing sail on a mono? Not hard to have a canting rig... Remember these boats are one trick ponies, not around the world racers.

I'm thinking an IMOCA 60, drop the keel out, add more appendages than a swiss army knife, whack on a canting wing sail and hope like hell it doesn't fall over before you get moving. They already had to keep the cats pointing into the wind at all times near a dock, and use the support boat to get out and underway. No different with an unballasted mono.

What does a mullet boat look like?

The next step will be to have different size wing sails for different wind ranges. Something they should have had in Bermuda and will need if they go racing in NZ.

Just cause the platform is one hull doesn't mean they aren't going to push the envelope. On the contrary, I don't know who much faster they could have pushed the envelope on the cats without being so fast and dangerous - leading to catastrophic outcomes. 

Iam not sure tnz has experience in foiling monos cats maby from my experience with foiling monos they need wind and the more the better so it will be interesting to see what goes into the water . Weight is the factor , balance , and in a mono once your up there , there is no screaming around the deck adjusting sails , they would have to design a paper light boat ,

Iam not sure tnz has experience in foiling monos cats maby from my experience with foiling monos they need wind and the more the better so it will be interesting to see what goes into the water . Weight is the factor , balance , and in a mono once your up there , there is no screaming around the deck adjusting sails , they would have to design a paper light boat ,

Team NZ didn't have experience in foiling cats either, until they got them to foil that is...

Anything can happen.

Its not experience in one thing that counts, but the culture and ability to adapt faster than anyone else.

Nothing like a AC boat now or in the future I'd expect.

Besides the Mullets race for a trophy far more valuable than the AC is and they have raced for it more than the AC has been raced for. This season will be the 97th edition of the Lipton Cup. 97 consecutive years that is.

Yeah yeah but aren't mullet boats unballasted, beamy, powerful boats with rediculously powerful rigs that can sink the boat very quickly if not handled with due skill, care and diligence?

And as you say, have a racing history of great richness worthy of or better than the Americas Cup.

I reckon this version of the Americas Cup will be like mullet boats on steroids, unballasted monohulls with comedy powerful rigs.

There's no reason a foiling mono has to look anything like the IMOCA really.

there are numerous designs out there foiling now, Moths, R class, Laser, RS600ff

Oh, and these

So there must be some amazing speed potential in a giant version.

• Upvote 1