foiling monos for AC confirmed

MB have 1000kg of internal ballast, usually in the form on lead ingots. Orion only has 2 bits of lead but each one is 500kg odd. That's a bitch when they win the Lipton as all winners get their lead weighed prior to officially being tagged as the winner. Unlike the AC the Mullets don't allow cheaters.

My grandparents had their honeymoon on their mullet boat 60 odd years ago.  Instead of lead they had suitcases full of rocks that they moved from side to side.  Sailed northcote to the bay of islands and back.

I feel it's a good idea for the AC to shift gears. The AC and the Vendee are the leading edge in high performance sailing. 

Look at what the last 2 ACs have done for foiling. Yes, Moths and some others were foiling ages ago, but the technological advances made possible by the great arms race that is the America's Cup, have really advanced multihull sailing, and have captivated a new wave of sailors. The tech is already filtering into the realm of the normal sailor. 

By pushing the AC into mono's I hope that the same kind of technology push is now applied to mono sailing, and that the evolution continues. 

These advances require an evolutionary force. The AC is such a  force.

There are certainly design issues that need to be overcome and I think the push from the AC is just what they need. If you set your sights high, then you might achieve something amazing. If you set your sights at the present level, you will certainly not achieve anything stellar. You might win, but you won't advance sailing technology.

Let's see what advances this round of the AC brings to general sailing.

60ft, box rule, but no weight limits.

Foiling like a moth

Stable

self righting

can handle 40 knt winds and 3m seas.

No stored or other power not generated by humans...

GO!

Final question, when does a foil count as an outrigger/ama?

There's no reason a foiling mono has to look anything like the IMOCA really.

there are numerous designs out there foiling now, Moths, R class, Laser, RS600ff

Oh, and these

So there must be some amazing speed potential in a giant version.

That thing look pretty darn cool, and it's foiling in basically no wind. Well it's on lake Zürich, and there is never any wind here anyway. That's actually a pretty windy day for here...

I wonder how my new boat will go if I knock the keel off and add a set of these foils and a wing... :think:

Here's a newer video...

People forget speed is relative, 48.6 kts vs 47.9kts or 7.3kts vs 8kts.....so what? Its about the grandeur, the spectacle, the crew work and skill involved in designing, building and sailing.

The logical next step for a cat is all electric/hydraulic controls, software driven with a single helmsman and tactician onboard. Next step after that no one onboard and controlled via a screen in the clubroom, next step after that just forget the boats and do it virtually in a video game.

The americas cup is about building the fastest boat within an agreed rule, or if no rule agreed, the fastest boat (90' waterline).

The crew, the grandeur, the match racing actually means squat. It makes it more interestijg for sure, but its never what the cup is 'about'.

BTW, 

Pretty cool, but essentially with the outboard foils (or looks like it), these are a monomaran aren't they?  Aren't they same as a cat foiler once airborne?

The Q23 rolls out the door for around €60-70K + sales tax ... That's an awful lot of money for a suped up skiff...